Choose my new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the back & forth, you asked for feedback that would point to different directions on what to get. Well you got it here & that's no surprise its just how it works, on this site. I found this site w/ a 50cc stihl saw & wanted something more for power in the cuts. I thought I was a Stihl guy but got a 562xp. Awesome saw awesome power, w/autotune Carb. Your looking for a good saw, for the pic. you provideded get the 362cm,it should be about the same price as the non-cm version but it will be better saw for ya. Does your bro have a saw also, for when you need a backup saw or for a pinch? If so then there's your backup. The 362 will do all that ya need & then some.

I love a ported 50cc saw more than about anything, but where there's no limbing involved and you are only bucking, the extra grunt of a ported 60cc saw would make the work faster. If choosing bw a ported 50cc and a stock 60cc for bucking this stack, I would choose the ported 50cc. You definitely don't need anything bigger.

I think for a given loop size, .325 will have more teeth to sharpen than 3/8. The .325 supposedly runs a little smoother since there are more teeth and they take a smaller bite, but I haven't noticed a big difference. Some guys do timed cuts comparing the two on small saws and the .325 comes out a little faster, but to me, the 3/8 feels faster (on the 261 and the 346 anyway). Less teeth to sharpen with 3/8 and the chain should last a little longer since the teeth are larger and there is more material there to get more sharpenings. If you stay with 3/8, bars can be easily swapped between saws w/o having to change rim sprockets, and you only need 1 file size - overall less inventory in parts. The 026 is a 50cc saw, but it's a fair amount weaker than the 261 and 346 in my experience - it may benefit more by running the smaller chain, but I only run 3/8 on my 346 and 261 and I much prefer it that way.

Remember that whatever you get (if it's new), you may be initially less impressed with it as many of the newer saws seem to take more time to break in - maybe 10-15 tanks - if this is the case, just give it that time to break in and the power will come on. If I were in your shoes, I'd opt for the 261c with 3/8" chain, 16" or 18" bar. Do a muffler mod as soon as you can or have someone else do one for you. The Mtronic will automatically compensate for that and even for porting. If you are interested in getting it ported, it's roughly $250 plus shipping both ways (figure $25 each way), so about $300 total. Mastermind (Randy Evans), Bsnelling (Brad Snelling), Tlandrum (Terry Landrum), Moody are all sponsors that port and would do a good job IMO. For most saws, I believe they usually see 30%-40% gains from porting. Look up some of the threads with videos and you can see comparisons of power/speed from stock until after ported - quite the dramatic difference.

Waylan

Could not have said it better myself. If he can get it ported before using, 50cc should be great, if not he may prefer the 60cc, which is always a great all around size. FYI, both my saws are scheduled to get ported by Randy in a few weeks. I'm stoked!

As always, this is somewhat of a judgement call. The saw that is best for you will depend on what you cut, how difficult it is to get to it, and your size/strength. Years ago I had no problem working with my 044 all day long. Now I appreciate that my 362 C-M is a little lighter.

I love a ported 50cc saw more than about anything, but where there's no limbing involved and you are only bucking, the extra grunt of a ported 60cc saw would make the work faster. If choosing bw a ported 50cc and a stock 60cc for bucking this stack, I would choose the ported 50cc. You definitely don't need anything bigger.
Same here bro! I cut around 150 cords with a stock 50cc and another 50 or so with a ported one.

Strange thing is, my fav 50cc saw only has 45cc. :D

Thank you all for opinions. I really would like the original saw I have wanted to start from with the beginning the ms261. Sadly no porting would be done right away maybe a muffler mod after I get some hands on and serious fuel through her. I think a 261 with 16" 3/8 would be very nice considering the angles and moving around we do in these piles. Yes brother in law is cutting with an older 40-50cc husqvarna he is going to buy a 460 rancher for alittle more grunt. I also like the idea of just paying cash and not having my saw in finance with the splitter. It's going to boils down to holding the 261and 362 back and forth until I can decide.....

Does your dealer have either of the saws that interest you available as demo saws?
Be nice to test drive a little bit before taking the leap.just sayin.

The main reason "I" recommend the 261c is that you talk about picking up a larger professional saw later. Several on the forum consider the 50cc/70cc saw plan perfect, whereas a 60cc is a great one saw plan. I had a MS361 for a few years, but after getting a good 50cc and good 70cc saw, it simply sat on the shelf. I used the 50cc until I needed more, then I would jump up to the 70cc. Although some consider the 361 as one of the "holy grail" 60cc saws, I ended up trading it towards something I wanted more. I regret it for sure just because it is a highly desired model, but I also realize that the 361 was likely just going to sit on a shelf and never be used. I don't have any shelf queens. I take care of all my saws, but want to use them all too.

All that said, if you want to go with the 362c, your long term saw plan might be 3 saws - a 241c, 362c, and maybe a 461 or 661c for your large saw.

Maybe you should see if you are close to any forum members that have the saws you are considering and see if they would let you come over and run them. I know if you lived close to me and were willing to travel to my place, we could find something to cut up for you to get a hands-on comparison.

Waylan

Man, if nothing else load up a few bucked logs (or shorter non-bucked) and take them to the dealer for a test drive in the wood you'll be cutting and test drive everything you can from 40cc-80cc. You'll quickly find what you really like.I loved my old 039 (precursor to the 390/391 and mid-level model compared to the 036/360/1/2). It was probably one of the best all around saws I ever had. Then I purchased a 55 Husky and then a 346xp. That 346xp was an 50cc epiphany. I like my 261(non-cm) and it has a lot more torque than my 346 had. After I bought the 346, Dad and I routinely fought (in good nature) over who got to run it, as it was that good and became the go-to saw for everything under 18" (not that it wouldn't do more as I felled a couple of 24"+ trees with it alone) but the 60cc saw just had more torque for 18"+ wood. The Zip that thing had was phenomenal and it was truly a joy to use (as is the 550xp apparently). No matter what we cut, the 36 was always the first saw out of the truck and generally the last to be put up, with the bigger ones used as needed. The 261 is a darn solid saw and will be lighter (though not by much) than the 362 and easier on the back when cutting in piles. If that's your average size for wood, I'd do either a 40cc/60cc or 50cc/70cc split. The 441 and 261 would likely be a good combo for you (although I really like the 461 and am waiting for the 661). You really should check out the other brands as all have a few near-magic saws if you're blind to pain, but I understand having business ties.

I can test both but the idea of just paying off the 261 sounds great instead of adding to my splitter. I'm pretty confident the 261 will handle anything my 311 will for the time being . But I do want a 3/8 chain setup on it with a 16" would be a great package I'm thinking

TJ, whereabouts are you? As posted above many would likely be willing to let you test-drive some things to get a better idea, without sales pressure, brand bias or brand ignorance.

My 261 is Not AT. I run a 16" .050x3/8" bar on it and I routinely bury it in Hedge. It does JUST fine with only a muffler mod, so don't sell it short.

Oh there is no 261c-m mtronic fancy deal? I live in northern ohio
How does the 241 stack up against the 261 if I went with a 40cc/60cc plan

Sorry, I should have stated, my 261 is "Pre" M-Tronic. There are sill plenty for sale that aren't but I think that all new production (not dealer back-stock) is M-Tronic. It's worth the extra $$$, believe me. The M-tronic ones are supposed to be a bit more powerful than the one I have which never hurts as I have no complaints about it's power, only it's portliness.

The 241 is a decent saw but costs not much less than a 261. IMHO I think that you'd be better served with a 261, and get a 441 or 461 later.

Fact is..most guys here could cut most of their wood with a 50 cc saw..AS is dangerous..by the time your done here you will think you need a ported 395xp to cut all your wood..as i said i dont know all of your cutting conditions , but cuttin tops on trees i think a 241 will serve you well...and a 60 cc as your big saw i dont doubt would handle your " bigger " logs..im a victim of being over prepared i dont NEED big saws but i like havin them..40 and 60cc isnt a bad combo..nor is 50 and 70

Back