Choose my new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does stihl have self tuning or is that just a tech feature that husq offers?

261c has same power as 290 but 3lbs lighter- probably just as productive as the 311- what it gives up in power (.4 hp) will be more than made up for in fuel economy (less time fueling) and less fatigue (3 lbs lighter). Spendy though but less than the 362c.

I have had my ms 362 for a year now. No regrets. Its the smoothest thing i have ever run.slap a 20" in. Bar on it and look out. Put a big smile on your face.

Compared to my 290 and 311 both 362 and 261 felt nimble I guess ? Is there different models here people are referring to? Is there an ms362 and a 362c? 261 and 261c? Cornfused here. I also have a collection of 18-20" 3/8 chain so I'm ready to go with a 362 but not so with a .325 260. Also for some reason cutting with a 3/8 feels better hard to put a finger on I can't describe why

Compared to my 290 and 311 both 362 and 261 felt nimble I guess ? Is there different models here people are referring to? Is there an ms362 and a 362c? 261 and 261c? Cornfused here. I also have a collection of 18-20" 3/8 chain so I'm ready to go with a 362 but not so with a .325 260. Also for some reason cutting with a 3/8 feels better hard to put a finger on I can't describe why

Yes- on the recoil, the "c" is m-tronic and is self tuning, no "c" is just standard fuel system (well, the model is really xxxc-m but the side of the saw only says "c"...kind of confusing, might want to check out the stihl website. You can currently only get m-tronic on "c" saws)

You can run the 3/8" chain on either saw. Don't be afraid of the m-tronic saws - I have two and love them, don't really want to run anything else. A saw that is in perfect tune at all times is a blast to cut with and I believe more productive unless you are real handy with a screwdriver. See if your local dealer will let you run one.

My recommendation is to go with the 261C (mtronic) and keep your 311. And trade the 311 in on a larger pro saw (441C) when you can.

Waylan

Is their a price difference when mtronic is added? Or could my dealer just have an older 362 and the mtronic are taking over? If price is the same I will request an mtronic model. Don't think I would ever complain about a perfect tuned saw at all times! I looked on stihls website and the info sounds impressive. What if you did a muffler mod would the mtronic auto tune to adjust to it? Is this the future? :)

Cost to port or is it diy and anyone have referrals for port jobs? Let's say for an idea here I drop down to a 261c. Will it perform as well as my 311 ? 16-20" 3/8" chain? Or will I be dissapointed until a future big boy is purchased? I have read a lot of happy owners on the 261 I just don't want to downgrade I guess. I do know the pro lvl 261 is better constructed for sure tho which I like

View attachment 336027 View attachment 336028 Long story short we got another huge huge huge hook up on firewood between myself and my brother in law. Were helping a guy who is logging 1000 acres total farm land. Only a few of us are involved in driving out to various locations and cutting up tops that are too crooked for his processor! Now I'm currently running an ms311 which is pulling its weight don't get me wrong! But now I am buying us a splitter as my bil has got our trailer. So I figured hey I can throw in a saw on top of the deal and get a discount. And 0% financing. I'm financing currently because it works better than dipping into my funds which are reserved for wedding :(. Anyway I am selling off my ms 311 or trading not posotive yet. We are currently working on getting ourselves atleast 3 years ahead on our firewood then selling off the excess firewood. Now my choices are ms362 (felt great in the hands) or an ms460 (test cut and it is a beast that was a blast to run). Now adding a saw only ups my payment 10-15$ so one side of me says hey go big get a 460/441 and buy a 261 next year. But I feel the smarter more reasonable part of me saying keep the 311 or get a 362 and be done.... I do feel with the amount of our future cutting and 2 current cutting spots I can justify a pro level here! Yes some of the tops we are cutting do get large in diameter over 24-36ish" (large to me anyway). The 311 has not bogged a bit and pulls great but that 362 better construction and feel in my hands was really very nice. So with all this chaos I typed out here , I was hoping to get some advice from the guys as addicted or more addicted than I!!!

My vote for a best all around new saw would go to either the MS 362 C-M (get the M-Tronic, it is well worth it) or the 562 XP. After break in, they cut about like a 70 cc but weigh a good deal less. The MS 460 is a great saw, but I think you will find it heavy for an all day cutter, and judging from the size of the wood in your picture, it will be too much saw 90 percent of the time. The 362 C-M will fly through that stuff. I believe removing the muffler screen gives it a little extra.

Because you are definitely financing, I vote for the big saw. Since you have decided, for dealer reasons, to go with Stihl, that leaves you picking between the 441, 460 or 461. (Did they "re-release" any 440s this year?)

In that size wood, you could use your 18" setup with an 8 tooth rim on a 70cc class saw to make things more interesting.

When I was a few years younger, I didn't want anything smaller than 70cc, anyway. The extra power was worth the weight penalty.

m-tronic is about $100 more I think...I think a ported 261 m-tronic saw will out cut your 311...bunch of good engine guys on this site...$250 or so to port a saw...m-tronic will compensate for some mods but can be tweaked more with a computer and software I believe...this is the future, actually m saws are a ways behind other machines...snowmobiles and other machines with electronic fuel management have been around for quite sometime, so the system can hold up tot he abuse...

Get the 362 C-M (has M-Tronic), you will love it. M-Tronic is easier to start and adjusts to mods, etc. Then, when you have some down time, get it ported (that is what I plan to do). You will have a light weight animal you can run all day. IMO, the bigger saws are not nimble enough for the wood piles in your picture. My 362 C-M handles very well, and will digest your wood faster than a 261. It is a good "all around" saw size. Glad you liked my review on the Stihl website.

261c at 11lbs sounds nice then a larger upgrade down the rd while keeping a smaller 50cc.... Making my mind up on a saw is rough. Gotta remember I'm strictly cutting firewood not dropping monster diameter trees. Maybe less is more for me right now. I could buy the 261c without rolling it into finance of splitter

By the looks of your pile a pro 50cc saw will serve you well...you dont need a 60 cc saw to cut 12" wood
I agree I actually originally wanted the 260 when I first bought my 290. But the sales rep pushed it and I took it. Until I started reading here! I think to restart my saw collection the 261c would be about the best starting point and later adding a larger cc. Does a 3/8 slow a 261 down or is there another reason they come with .325 I know they can be changed but I'm just curious

Thats 6 in one and half a dozen in the other..i like .325 on my 50cc saws..some dont..i dont know how big of wood your gonna get into..some of that stuff looks pretty small..maybe a 241 would make you happy cuttin that small stuff and a 60cc could be your big saw ?

3/8 does run slower than 325 on my 026, but all my bigger saws run 3/8 so I have commonality and switchability.

Back