Choose my new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm about 75% decided on selling off the 311 and getting a 261c-m . Hell I was happy with my 290 until it crapped out on me. I know 50cc is enough for 99% of my current cutting and maybe when funds allow next year I'll step up to have a 70+ cc on hand

A 50cc/ 70cc combo is the most near perfect two-saw "plan". Get the 70cc first, then add the 50cc later. Seriously. If I had to have one saw to use from here on out, it would be my favorite 70cc. That's just my opinion, but I'll stick by it.

I'm to back and forth . Hell I just called up my friend and told him to quote the 27 ton splitter and 362 20" . He told me if I bought the 362 he would throw in a saw case chaps and an extra skip tooth..... Won't do it if I go 261c......:(

Edit
My gut is telling me to go 362 and use my 5020 poulan (my hey u can borrow my saw) for pinches

I'm to back and forth . Hell I just called up my friend and told him to quote the 27 ton splitter and 362 20" . He told me if I bought the 362 he would throw in a saw case chaps and an extra skip tooth..... Won't do it if I go 261c......:(

Edit
My gut is telling me to go 362 and use my 5020 poulan (my hey u can borrow my saw) for pinches

If you go with the 362, get the C-M version, you will not regret it. It will cut like a 70 cc saw, but will be lighter. The new saws with Auto Tune and M-Tronic cut like they are a size larger, without the weight. They also start easier and are always in tune. Almost everyone who has either M-Tronic or Auto Tune says that is all they will get going forward. (I had to force my guy to get it, he was still trying to move in stock regular 362s). Max RPM on the 362 C-M is 14,000, max power is at 10,000, you will love it!

I can not fault the 50cc / 70cc two saw plan, but if I had to go with just one saw it would be a 60cc. You can always get a smaller / lighter saw later, and the new 60cc saws will cut right with an older 70cc saw.

I'll take the ported 372 to that pile!
Equipped with an 8-pin pulling square ground chain Brad? Sounds good to me anyway.

I'm to back and forth . Hell I just called up my friend and told him to quote the 27 ton splitter and 362 20" . He told me if I bought the 362 he would throw in a saw case chaps and an extra skip tooth..... Won't do it if I go 261c......
Edit
Whoa - Friends don't let friends run Poulans... LMAO You didn't mention earlier that you had another saw (outside of the dead 290 - What DID happen to it by chance and do you still have it? It may be salvageable...).
If you do the MS362, DON'T DO IT, unless it's the C(M) version and there's absolutely NO need with a 20" bar on that saw to run skip chain, unless you just hate filing. The case and chaps are about mandatory, but if it was my $$$, it would be a pair of Labonville chaps as they're a lot better than Stihl, but ANY for you is better than none so it's all about priorities.

If you go with the 362, get the C-M version, you will not regret it. It will cut like a 70 cc saw, but will be lighter. The new saws with Auto Tune and M-Tronic cut like they are a size larger, without the weight. They also start easier and are always in tune. Almost everyone who has either M-Tronic or Auto Tune says that is all they will get going forward. (I had to force my guy to get it, he was still trying to move in stock regular 362s). Max RPM on the 362 C-M is 14,000, max power is at 10,000, you will love it!
I can not fault the 50cc / 70cc two saw plan, but if I had to go with just one saw it would be a 60cc. You can always get a smaller / lighter saw later, and the new 60cc saws will cut right with an older 70cc saw.

Pf course if you REALLY want power and versatility, go 50cc/100cc and FTW! Seriously though, there was little in the OP's pics which couldn't have been ably dispatched with a 261C-M, especially ported. The get either the 441 or 461 (and get THAT one ported) and the only reason you'd need more would be if you had to run and properly oil better than a 28" bar buried...

For kicks, get on youtube and search for Ported Stihl MS261c-m, MS362c-m, MS441c-m and MS461... Thhe watch the stock videos... They are all fine saws stock. Ported is a whole other level, with the 441 apparently becoming it's own little monster...

I could keep my 311 and rent a splitter but where is the fun In that?

Honestly unless you need to trade the 311 from a $$$ perspective, I'd keep it an buy one or the other and then either sell t, or keep it for nasty stuff which you wouldn't want to use a pro saw for. Did you say that the 311 has been muffler modded? If not, do it and retune it and you may discover that a 261 makes a lot more sense. If you already have and are comfortable using it as a small saw, get your bigger one and be happy. I really like the 50/70/90 setup as it covers more needs than many people have, but as I recall, the Scout motto is "Be Prepared". What was the splitter that you're buying just out of question?

Either a gravely 22ton or 27 ton coming from the same dealer as the saw which is a friend of mines kubota dealer. For some odd reason I just can't decide between the 261c-m or 362. I mean although I am cutting much much more than I was am I justified going pro or will this 311 stand the test of time for another 10 years cutting 1-2 days a week at 8 hrs a day? Like I said once we are each 3 years ahead on our firewood we are selling the excess. I like the idea of starting over with the 50cc that I truly wanted when I bought my first saw but at the same time I feel I could buy that 362c-m and be done buying saws for 20 years ( yeah right) also are their issues with the new 362 air filtration? I have heard that small saw dust is making its way past the pre filter into the saw?

Edit
Reason for selling/trade of my 311 is because I feel either the 261/362 will prove no need for the 311 realistically

Either a gravely 22ton or 27 ton coming from the same dealer as the saw which is a friend of mines kubota dealer. For some odd reason I just can't decide between the 261c-m or 362. I mean although I am cutting much much more than I was am I justified going pro or will this 311 stand the test of time for another 10 years cutting 1-2 days a week at 8 hrs a day? Like I said once we are each 3 years ahead on our firewood we are selling the excess. I like the idea of starting over with the 50cc that I truly wanted when I bought my first saw but at the same time I feel I could buy that 362c-m and be done buying saws for 20 years ( yeah right) also are their issues with the new 362 air filtration? I have heard that small saw dust is making its way past the pre filter into the saw?

Edit
Reason for selling/trade of my 311 is because I feel either the 261/362 will prove no need for the 311 realistically

The C-M version fixed the filtration problem. I you are going with one saw for a while, I would highly recommend the 362 C-M. It is a pound lighter than the 311, will cut much better, and should last you for 20 years, my 044 has and is still going. When I recently rebuilt the carb, it looked like new. I don't think there is any debate but that Stihl builds their professional saws to last. Weight, handling, and cutting speed may all be debated, but not the endurance of Stihl Pro Saws.

The M-Tronic saws all cut better than their rated Hp because the timing and fuel mix are adjusted while you are in the wood. You will like it, just give it some break in time (mine kept building power for 5 or 6 tanks of fuel). I also removed the Muffler Screen, which you can always put back if you want to. If I had to choose just one saw between my 362 C-M, 10mm 044, 441 (pre M-Tronic), or my brother's 460, it would be the 362 C-M, and I really love my 044.

If your wood is clean, I like a 20" bar and Stihl yellow RS chain. You don't have to reach too much, and if the wood is larger than 20" just go over the top and down the back side a little and the remainder is now less than 20". I've dropped 30" trees with a 20" bar, just start by taking the sides in a little bit first.

Good Luck with your choice.
MustangMike

I read most if not all of this thread. It is an interesting wood supply, what someone with a processor chooses not to process. I can see the piles in the picture but suspect you will have some big nasty stuff and mostly smaller stuff like shown. Since you got sold a saw you want to trade in or sell off to replace I have to wonder if you will get the right splitter or perhaps one small fast one and one larger slower one. I think I actually found this site with a long thread about dr making a rack and pinion splitter. There are a lot you tube splitter videos out there. Perhaps your time might be better spent elsewhere on this site discussing splitters. I do see a disconnect sometimes porting is all the rage and sometimes the warranty is the main thing. Not sure how the wood gets from that 1000 acres being logged to piles near those and then rejected by the processor guy but some of the piles might be a lot more muddy than what is in the pictures here.

Their are some gnarly looking piles on the other side of the creek... He is very picky on what he keeps . He has so much coming I that he is only interested in straight clean main logs. But he still has his guys limb everything and skid steer everything into piles.

Latest posts

Back