How do you remove a piston from a Poulan 3700?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small press works good with wooden v blocks cut to fit piston. Takes four hands to do it but it's fast, best heat piston up with a heat gun makes it even easier. We use a small deep socket for the arbor to push pin in and out. Freeze pin when ready to reassemble and heat piston.

Steve

Small press works good with wooden v blocks cut to fit piston. Takes four hands to do it but it's fast, best heat piston up with a heat gun makes it even easier. We use a small deep socket for the arbor to push pin in and out. Freeze pin when ready to reassemble and heat piston.

Steve
No you don't heat the piston.. The pin don't even touch the piston. If you want to heat anything, you can heat the small end of the rod then you can push the pin back in by hand.

The best way to remove is with the factory tool or one made like it.

Thanks for the help as I have a good crankcase and wanting to take the piston off my 3700 and put on the new rod crankcase and put back together. I hate to damage the piston as it is in good shape. Thanks for all the help as I found a picture I might can make something, or use my press and hopefully not destroy it.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...W1NXbulNYDq9j83-VLjkvtix5UIq_BvuHZo2OFMZrJqLA
So you know there were adapters for that that fit the pin and the pusher went inside the adapters. If your handy that tool isnt to hard to duplicate.

I guess the 3400 and 3700 are different from each other. I just changed a piston in my 3400 not too many weeks ago and don't remember it being difficult to change. I definitely didn't heat anything up. Seems like it had circlips..

I guess the 3400 and 3700 are different from each other. I just changed a piston in my 3400 not too many weeks ago and don't remember it being difficult to change. I definitely didn't heat anything up. Seems like it had circlips..

Did you use an aftermarket piston kit? OEM does not have clips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use an aftermarket piston kit? OEM does not have clips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not aftermarket, bought from a member at AS. But you may have to forgive me, I didn't do it yesterday and my memory on this isn't too strong. I've probably installed 20 pistons since I did that one. I just didn't remember installing one that didn't have the clips, but it's possible for sure...

Happy ending as most people never post the outcome, so here it is.

Well after bout 2 hours work the ole 3700 is back making long wood short. I pressure/vacuum tested came out great, compression 145+. The saw ran good before I put a different case just had a funny noise. I found out it was the rod bearing worn out. The crank bearings are good and tight in the old case. The new case is good and tight all the way around. Thanks for the help as I pressed the piston off and back on without damage with your help. Here is a picture as it is not a looker, but runs great. I have bout $45 in it plus the new $20 bar and chain I found at the flea market. The new case was from a 3400 that had the same number on it as the ole 3700 case.
Gk1bPqy.jpg

roIfMdQ.jpg

B1MA7Kr.jpg

Back