Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS

Cowshot
I'm gonna have to measure some stuff here. I didn't try it on the p-41, but I'm almost sure the bars interchange between them.

I didn't try a chain yet Ed, but I am going to in the morning if i can find enough old stuff.

Jerry, I have been getting all my chains and bars from Bailey's lately. The shipping isn't too bad if I wait till I got a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff to order. Takes about two weeks.

The only place to get a chain made around here might be the stihl dealer, but all they used to have was 3/8 full chisel and I been using semi-chisel because I cut a lot of dirty stuff. Very expensive too, I think a 20'' chain was around 35 bucks. Crazy.

I'll let you know on those measurements.

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Let us know Chris. This is getting interesting for me.lol
Mine had the 5/16, Arts has the 5/16, maybe yours is 3/8 like Jerry's book mentions. Maybe the P40 has 5/16 studs, I always thought like you mentioned that the P40 bars were interchangeable with the P41. There seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies with the early P40/P50. The 3 P50's I have are early models. Two had points like a P40, the other had electronic. Also the P50's are the only Pioneers I have with left hand threads on the flywheel side.

Anyway, I mounted the bar on my P42 with a 7 pin rim and put a chain together from junk chains and 79DL was perfect, but maybe you should check it out on your saw to be sure.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
The sprocket is shot on my 1200. What threads is the retaining nut, R.H. or L.H.?? The IPL is no help and no threads are showing to be able to tell.

Anyone got an Oregon number for it? 7 tooth x 3/8" pitch.
Clutch side nuts are right handed, Oregon Power Mate rim drive SD 7 is the only clutch drum still avaliable from them.
Pioneerguy600

kev1n

kev1n

ArboristSite Guru
I just finished reading this whole thread, some of it twice. It was a great read, I might have to read it again. Some of the rebuilds were amazing. I really like the RA when they are all redone. They look like an old hot-rod. There's one on CL in western Mass that still has the medallion on the lid for 40$. The add is a little old but it still might be there.
I was really impressed when you guys all gathered your info and ipl's to share with everybody. That's alot of work. I'd like to thank you all for all the hard work you've done getting this thread going and it looks like there's no end to it.
Thanks Kevin
P.S. I've got another 6 cube saw on the way.

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
I just finished reading this whole thread, some of it twice. It was a great read, I might have to read it again. Some of the rebuilds were amazing. I really like the RA when they are all redone. They look like an old hot-rod. There's one on CL in western Mass that still has the medallion on the lid for 40$. The add is a little old but it still might be there.
I was really impressed when you guys all gathered your info and ipl's to share with everybody. That's alot of work. I'd like to thank you all for all the hard work you've done getting this thread going and it looks like there's no end to it.
Thanks Kevin
P.S. I've got another 6 cube saw on the way.

Pioneer?

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Yes, it's supposed to be a p60. For some reason I like two of everything. It should be here in about a week if all goes well. Is Rottmans the place to go to for case, base, and oiler gaskets?
Kevin

Give them a call , they have a lot of stuff for the big P series saws. Congrats on the new arrival.
Pioneerguy600

DSS

Cowshot
OK guys, here is what I found. The bar slot and the p/n. I only have a cheap camera, sorry about the pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The studs on the p-40 and the p-41, both 3/8.

attachment.php

attachment.php

DSS

Cowshot
Maybe somebody widened this slot before I got it ? It has never been mounted and was still in the original package.

I don't know. But it fit's my saws.:confused2:

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Chris, in the pict of the bar the slot on the right hand corner where it meets the end of the slot and the rounded portion begins it appears like there is notch, like the round does not match the slot perfectly. Just like what would happen if the slot was widened after the original slot was cut. There is mention of that in the Pioneer saw and chain manual that the factory widened some of these bars to fit the 3/8" bar studs.
Pioneerguy600

DSS

Cowshot
Yes, I see what you mean Jerry. It looks like Ed's bar where he widened the slot. Could be a factory fix, it has the slotted oiler hole for both sizes of studs.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Yes, I see what you mean Jerry. It looks like Ed's bar where he widened the slot. Could be a factory fix, it has the slotted oiler hole for both sizes of studs.

Yes I see that and that was also mentioned in the manual, it also shows the factory issued shims or adapters to adapt them to 5/16" studs, the adapter is also made to accomodate the wider stud spacing of some saws, the adapter is made to fit the the studs that are closer together, there is a notch in the center where the adapter can be broken into two pieces and each piece used on the wider spaced studs.
Pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.

They are different parts numbers to start with, 471 399 for the 1200 and 471 401 for the 3270. In all of my chain and bar matching/interchange guides there are no matches between the two. If I remember correctly the crank on the 1200 is smaller in dia. than the 3270 where the drum is located. The later superceeded number for the 1200 is 475 213 in the final edition of the Pioneer clutch drum guide dated 04-84.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts