Prefilter material to help keep saw air filters clean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moddoo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have some material that is nearly the same as a prefilter you would buy for a K&N filter for your snowmobile, etc.
It does not have any water repellant on it, but it is nearly identical otherwise.

I have been using it on my snowmobile, shop vac, woodworking tools, water filter, coffee maker, etc.
It flows very well, and is very durable.

Just recently, I got into a house with a wood burning furnace, bought a saw, found AS, realized I need a 361 :jester: , etc.

Anyway, this stuff works great on my saw, and I thought you guys might be interested. Just cut the right size piece, and use a rubber band to keep it in place. it easily brushes clean with your hand, no need to take anything apart.
On my little 290, I just pushed the airbox cover "screw" right through the material, it just tore a little where it needed to.

I have been selling it to several snowmobile guys for $15 a yard by approx 63" roll.

Let me know if anyone is wants some.

I will mail out a small sample free to anyone who would like one.

Here are some pics:
P1280003.jpg

P1280004.jpg

P1280006_2.jpg

P1280006.jpg

Doesn't yours?:hmm3grin2orange:

It makes a good coffee filter too. I use it camping too, kinda like a tea bag.

The 361 (and most newer stihls) can be equipped with two different styles of filters.
A fine plastic white mesh for low dust conditions and a flocked type filter for dusty conditions.

Looks like a farmboss in the first couple pics. I wonder if it would make heavier saws fight harder once it does collect a little debris! Any insight?

Looks like a farmboss in the first couple pics. I wonder if it would make heavier saws fight harder once it does collect a little debris! Any insight?

It's a new 290, they used to say farmboss on the bar, but it seems like they stopped that on the new ones. I'm a newb to saws, so I dunno for sure.

I think you're asking if it will restrict the airflow when it gets some sawdust on it?
I suppose any filter will, this is just a lot easier to clean off than a stock filter, because the dust wipes right off.

A couple guys who use their saws daily, please give me a shout.

I'll send a couple guys a piece big enough for 1 filter just to see how it works for you.

I've got at least a dozen yards, and would like to see it put to good use.

It will last a thousand washings, It's a high quality polyester mesh.

The pore size stays nice and uniform, no matter what you do to it.

The edges don't fray under normal use. The fibers are bonded to each other somehow.

This is not a business, I'm just a guy getting into the chainsaw lifestyle, trying to share a good thing.
:rock:

This is not a business, I'm just a guy getting into the chainsaw lifestyle, trying to share a good thing.
:rock:

Then just tell us where to get it, and you will save the shipping fees!:D

Try it out

WOW, tough croud.

Here you go.
http://www.sourceoneonline.com/item.asp?categoryID=4&sectionID=118&subSectionID=64&catID=64&catTab=sub_section&productID=570

The type I have is PEY156LE62
There are some cheaper types around. I would think they would be fine for prefilters. The stuff is specially engineered for screen printing.

It's not a real widely available product in small quantities, but you can find it if you search a little.

I got mine from a local fabric wearhouse.

Good luck
-new guy

Last edited:
i have been looking for this type of fabric in bulk for some time now i might have you send me a sample if you dont mind. do you know if it comes in any other colors than white and yellow? do you know of any other sources other than the link you gave us?

i will get back with you with an address

thanks

PM'd you
I have only seen the yellow.

Like I say, this stuff is around, but it takes a little searching.
Only a couple places will sell small quantities.
I've never bought it online, just from a local surplus store.

That's interesting. If you are sending out samples, I'll take one. I'd like to use it on my Stepdads Pro Mac 700. Every time we pull the filter cover on that thing, it has 1/4in. of wood chips (or more) sitting on the filter. With that stuff, do you just tuck it under the edges of the filter? I like when folks get creative. :)

Prefilters:

Very interesting, I have had a lot of problems with my little Husky 334T filter pluging up, so I made a pre filter out of a paper shop rag from rags in a box they are nylon reinforced and hold up real well.
Solved my problem.

Tread

Hello everyone.
I have some material that is nearly the same as a prefilter you would buy for a K&N filter for your snowmobile, etc.
It does not have any water repellant on it, but it is nearly identical otherwise.

I have been using it on my snowmobile, shop vac, woodworking tools, water filter, coffee maker, etc.
It flows very well, and is very durable.

Just recently, I got into a house with a wood burning furnace, bought a saw, found AS, realized I need a 361 :jester: , etc.

Anyway, this stuff works great on my saw, and I thought you guys might be interested. Just cut the right size piece, and use a rubber band to keep it in place. it easily brushes clean with your hand, no need to take anything apart.
On my little 290, I just pushed the airbox cover "screw" right through the material, it just tore a little where it needed to.

I have been selling it to several snowmobile guys for $15 a yard by approx 63" roll.

Let me know if anyone is wants some.

I will mail out a small sample free to anyone who would like one.

Here are some pics:
P1280003.jpg

P1280004.jpg

P1280006_2.jpg

P1280006.jpg
hi i see this was posted a few years ago but do you still have any of this left

Same thing as women's panty hose.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Back