Reasonable expectations from sellers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spladle160

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If a seller on this site had an add that indicated a saw had recently been re-built what would be a reasonable expectation for a buyer? All parts present? all functionally required parts present? a few screws missing? within spec compression?

If a seller on this site had an add that indicated a saw had recently been re-built what would be a reasonable expectation for a buyer? All parts present? all functionally required parts present? a few screws missing? within spec compression?
Find out if oem parts were used or chinese parts! The engine components ie. piston,cylinder,crank,seals,bearings,oiler,carb would definitely need to be oem for me. Aftermarket fuel tank,clutch cover,plastics you can get by with. seller should disclose any irregularities in saw such as holes that have rethreaded or time certs installed. I could probably come up with a lot more but this will give you an idea.

- a working saw
- full disclosure of any known and obvious defects or anything effecting future use/ability to mod or potential problems
- a fair description of parts used in rebuild
- if not rebuilt by seller - disclosure of name of person doing said work in event of any detailed questions.

Rebuilt to an ordinary person means - better than used/unknown hours - but not as good as new.

Too many people think rebuilt is equal to new. Thats not a fair assumption...it COULD be, but rebuilds vary in quality to some degree.

Just look at ads in the for sale section. Pretty much everyone tells you what they are selling with pics. If it is a new member with 3 posts I would be more leery. Most of the ads I look at i say to myself would i buy that?

Just spoke with the seller, He picked up the phone when I called and everything he said rang true to what was in front of me. He said he would provide the missing parts and based on his honesty with everything visible I get the feeling that he is a good honest person and will. I did make a purchase without as much due diligence as normal. And will be happy to post the final outcome in a week or so when the seller has had a reasonable amount of time to send the small parts. I think this is all going to boil down to a case of a few oversights and good customer service making it right.

The law of averages between buying here and buying on ebay is about 30% here to 70% on eBay. With the sellers description being wrong. Like runs good, lots of compression, needs nothing, I purchased many saws. I try to leave room in the cost for repairs. No biggie I’m learning. I’m not complaining just the facts.

Well it sure looks like I got screwed. I've given the seller the benefit of the doubt for 2 months to no avail. I guess since people just can't do the right thing no matter what. As stated above this 395 was sold as a freshly rebuilt saw. When I received it I was immediately struck by how awful the packing job was. It was clear the gas and oil weren't thoroughly drained because they had soaked the entire box through a trash bag and bubble wrap.

20200221_162742.jpg

After getting it out I immediately noticed it was missing A LOT of parts missing, There were nuts and bolts missing, choke control... I out together a list and sent it to the seller who said he would get me the parts.

Husqvarna 503974801 SLEEVE Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $6.02 each
$6.02
Husqvarna 503203419 SCREW Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.12 each
$2.12
Husqvarna 537444402 AIR FILTER HD 80 Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $52.51 each
$52.51
Husqvarna 503200710 SCREW M5 X 10 Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.61 each
$2.61
Husqvarna 503200216 SCREW Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.61 each
$2.61
Husqvarna 501515402 RUBBER BUMPER Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $5.02 each
$5.02
Husqvarna 537018301 CHOKE CONTROL Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $6.02 each
$6.02
Husqvarna 503222402 NUT Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.61 each
$2.61
Husqvarna 503220001 NUT M8 FLANGE Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.61 each
$2.61

Next I went to check the compression and found that the spark plug threads had been cross threaded. I chased the threads and then proceeded to check the compression.

Hmmm, that was weird, It was getting stiff and made a weird noise so I figured it was time to pull the cylinder and take a look. It didn't take long to see what was up.
20200223_160939.jpg20200223_160939 2.jpg

The big end bearing was puking out it guts. I had never put fuel in the saw and it was a poor parts saw.

At this point I told the seller that this needed to be made right. He offered to rebuild the saw or swap it out for another he built but I don't know how I could trust a saw from someone who sent a saw out like this and called it freshly rebuilt so I told him I wanted a refund which he agreed to but he needed to sell a few saws first. That was 2 months ago. I have stayed in contact and gently reminded him this still needed to be taken care of after I saw he had sold multiple other saws. Next when stimulus checks were going out I knew he would have the money I called and told him since they were coming he could paypal me the money when he got his and he agreed. That was last Saturday. The deposits went out Wednesday. I've called him 6 times since Thursday with no response. At this point it appears to simply a personal decision to not do the right thing. He's still getting on here regularly so he's seen my messages to him here as well. Maybe he'll get me my refund and I won't have to name names. I've tried everything else.

Well it sure looks like I got screwed. I've given the seller the benefit of the doubt for 2 months to no avail. I guess since people just can't do the right thing no matter what. As stated above this 395 was sold as a freshly rebuilt saw. When I received it I was immediately struck by how awful the packing job was. It was clear the gas and oil weren't thoroughly drained because they had soaked the entire box through a trash bag and bubble wrap.

View attachment 820016

After getting it out I immediately noticed it was missing A LOT of parts missing, There were nuts and bolts missing, choke control... I out together a list and sent it to the seller who said he would get me the parts.

Husqvarna 503974801 SLEEVE Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $6.02 each
$6.02
Husqvarna 503203419 SCREW Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.12 each
$2.12
Husqvarna 537444402 AIR FILTER HD 80 Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $52.51 each
$52.51
Husqvarna 503200710 SCREW M5 X 10 Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.61 each
$2.61
Husqvarna 503200216 SCREW Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.61 each
$2.61
Husqvarna 501515402 RUBBER BUMPER Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $5.02 each
$5.02
Husqvarna 537018301 CHOKE CONTROL Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $6.02 each
$6.02
Husqvarna 503222402 NUT Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.61 each
$2.61
Husqvarna 503220001 NUT M8 FLANGE Time to Stock: 5-7 business days @ $2.61 each
$2.61

Next I went to check the compression and found that the spark plug threads had been cross threaded. I chased the threads and then proceeded to check the compression.

Hmmm, that was weird, It was getting stiff and made a weird noise so I figured it was time to pull the cylinder and take a look. It didn't take long to see what was up.
View attachment 820017View attachment 820018

The big end bearing was puking out it guts. I had never put fuel in the saw and it was a poor parts saw.

At this point I told the seller that this needed to be made right. He offered to rebuild the saw or swap it out for another he built but I don't know how I could trust a saw from someone who sent a saw out like this and called it freshly rebuilt so I told him I wanted a refund which he agreed to but he needed to sell a few saws first. That was 2 months ago. I have stayed in contact and gently reminded him this still needed to be taken care of after I saw he had sold multiple other saws. Next when stimulus checks were going out I knew he would have the money I called and told him since they were coming he could paypal me the money when he got his and he agreed. That was last Saturday. The deposits went out Wednesday. I've called him 6 times since Thursday with no response. At this point it appears to simply a personal decision to not do the right thing. He's still getting on here regularly so he's seen my messages to him here as well. Maybe he'll get me my refund and I won't have to name names. I've tried everything else.
Wow thats a raw deal...how did you pay, there is a time limit for some typed of payments to file a grievance.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back