Stihl MS-250 & "Bang per Buck" saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, be specific. Why isn't it a nice saw? The controls and air filter seem to be pretty "Stihl standard"...and its lighter than the rest. Its has metal where metal should be and plastic where plastic should be...and its a Stihl.

Tell me that the materials in the cylinder barrel are different..maybe a cast vs. forged piston or something like that. Maybe the powerband is a midrange vs. a high RPM tune....something technical. What makes it a dog?

Is that Husky 350 (Now 450) a nice saw?

Is there anything to that Echo line of EPA logic? Are they as well built and have a similar power to weight ratio as the "Euro saws" with similar EPA ratings?

weimedog,
I think it comes down to much of what Windtrown says. The "pro" quality saws are built with somewhat more rugged components. But I believe the biggest advantage they have is serviceability; they're easier to service, maintain and repair. So if you wear it out in 5 years of hard use, you can rebuild it to new for $200-250. A lightly-used MS250, will give you 10+ years of use and then since it was so cheap, you'd ditch it for a new one at full retail again. So the long-term cost of pro versus non-pro is probably the same.

And ask yourself, which saw would I be proud to hand down to my children or their children.

I think I just talked myself into a new MS260.:dizzy:

But let's not kid ourselves,guys. It is indisputable that the Dolmar 5100 and 7900 are and have been the bang-for-your-buck champs for a couple of years running. If that is the criteria we're discussing here.

Here's a question: is the homeowner-grade MS250 substantially crappier than the "mid-grade" MS290..? Both seem to share the lots-o-plastic design. At least the MS250 isn't 13 pounds or whatever the Farm Boss is.

In my opinion of using both the 250 and the 290 for many years, the 290 is a much better saw. For a lot of reasons, but mainly for the large power advantage. It is called the boat anchor on AS for its power to weight ratio. However, it has an adjustible oil pump, and the air filter system is a lot better. It can also manage a 20 inch 3/8 standard bar and chain and I have used the 290 to drop some rather impressive sized trees that I would never be able to drop with a 250. I do not mind working on the 290 that much either; it is easier to fix than the 1123 line and it is designed better. Oh yah, the 290 has a real metal chain catcher too. The 250 has a plastic one that is part of the sprocket cover and it blows right off, whereas the aluminum one actually works.

In the limbing and thinning category, the 250 is the better saw becasue of the light weight. Which is why I bought both saws. I basically have replaced the 290 with a second 361, and I do not use it any more. :cry: But when the 290 is cranked up, it has what I call the 'German zing' sound to it that is cool. Both the 250 and the 290 suffer from high vibration, and they are both far more tiring for me to use than my 361s. The big reason I went looking for a Dolmar 420 is the spring mounted A-V system. The new Stihl 211 has that as well (210 replacement is the top end of the new 171/181/211 small saw line), but the 211 is too underpowered for my likes. It will be interesting to see what Stihl replaces the 250 and 290 with in the years to come (2010 is looming).

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what Stihl replaces the 250 and 290 with in the years to come (2010 is looming).

Yep seeing as the 290 and 029 have been the primary sellers for stihl for so long they had better get the mix right for the new one.
They have already started with the 171, 181 and 211 and probably are using the data coming back from those piglets to make the 291.
If the 441 is anything to go by they have a long way to go.

And that would be

MS250 2.4 x 1.34 = 3.2 hp
MS260 2.6 x 1.34 = 3.4 hp
Does anyone think these 2 saws are that close? Both of those numbers are higher than what Stihl has listed here, could be EPA regs here or they might not be sending completely stock saws to kwf. Seen that happen with snowmobiles, one company always did real good in the tests but were dogs when consumers got them. Then one year the same company did real bad in the test and they basically said they didn't send them a ringer that year. That's why I don't put much stock in numbers, just how they cut at home. I think Stihl has thier whole homeowner lineup over rated to sell thier cheap saws where they make the most money. Steve

ms 250 is guteless! Decent and durable but guteless! Jonsered Husky and Dolmar will spank it! Take a look at a Dolmar PS-420! Or even the Jonsered 2141!

What Jonsered, what Husqvarna and what Dolmar? I can assure you that not every saw in each of their lineups will out perform a MS250. Model numbers man, model numbers.

And that would be

MS250 2.4 x 1.34 = 3.2 hp
MS260 2.6 x 1.34 = 3.4 hp
Does anyone think these 2 saws are that close? Both of those numbers are higher than what Stihl has listed here, could be EPA regs here or they might not be sending completely stock saws to kwf. Seen that happen with snowmobiles, one company always did real good in the tests but were dogs when consumers got them. Then one year the same company did real bad in the test and they basically said they didn't send them a ringer that year. That's why I don't put much stock in numbers, just how they cut at home. I think Stihl has thier whole homeowner lineup over rated to sell thier cheap saws where they make the most money. Steve

I can't say that they are that close, but in my experience they are pretty close.

Is a 270 a better path?

(Bailey now has Efco...the 152 is in that range)

So now I'm convinced a 250 isn't the best choice.
Also convinced Echo's haven't attracted the pro's or really serious saw types even with the EPA ratings..
I heard a couple of fellows here complain about Solo's tanks breaking but I'm certain of the years. (The old loggers around don't seem to have a sence of time) Either way the Solo pro level saws are expensive and don't have local support.
On to next one(s)

Stihl MS-270
Husky 445
Makita DCS510
Dolmar PS-510 or PS-5100 I see the 5100's on line for around 400 bucks. And a local dealer has one for 4 1/4.
Bailey's Efco 152 ..a long shot.

I'm also convinced there isn't anything under 11 lbs other than a 500plus dollar saw the fits. (260 and 346)

Also convinced Echo's haven't attracted the pro's or really serious saw types even with the EPA ratings..
I might have completely the wrong idea here BUT, fromwhat I understand the only people that are interested in the EPA ratings are EPA government officials. Or people that think they are helping the planet by running one... In fact it prolly just means they run leaner. And has no othert bearing on engine life - a stihl or husky will outlast one given the same treatment.

Forget Stihl if you want a 50cc saw. The best one they have is the 260 from the eighties..

Husky 350 - Best bang for the buck 50cc saw.
Husky 346 - Best 50cc saw.

Sometimes, life is very uncomplicated..

Last edited:
That is Euro versions, made in Germany - they are not the same as the US ones.

Anyway, in the cut both models feel weaker than the numbers tell you.........
+1, way way over rated my neighbor bought one he came over to show it off plus I always have logs to cut lying around.It went head to head with my 4620/295 Poulan. Granted the 295 has the old style muffler that I put on to replace the cat one and a whopping extra 1/4'' hole right next to the factory opening. And the 250 was slower!My Poulan had about 8-10 tanks through it but one would think for 2.5 times the money you would get something better! also the saw has just as much plastic on it.I told him bring it back and get the 260 he did that and it is a very nice saw cut's as fast as my 2152. Now If I wanted him to feel really bad about the 250 I should have put it up against my 645 Solo also a 45cc saw. As a side note I was using Carlton chain he was using Stihl all .325.
I think the best part is he is not really a neighbor but a good friend, so I really did tell him how I felt about the saw he is a Stihl guy not a Stihl Head though, so I knew it would have to be orange and white or at least a Jred/Husky saw. The 260 will pull a 18'' bar in the soft wood we cut well.

Stihl MS-270
Husky 445
Makita DCS510
Dolmar PS-510 or PS-5100

I'm also convinced there isn't anything under 11 lbs other than a 500plus dollar saw the fits. (260 and 346)

Makita is made by Dolmar (exact same saw in teal green instead of red), so it is really just:

Stihl MS-270
Husky 445
Dolmar PS-510 or PS-5100

I have heard good things about Efco (new name for the Olympyk). But catalog purchases and limited parts and no service? Not unlike Dolmar out here in the wild west where they are all but wild fantacy. So that leaves Husky and Stihl, the inevitable AS boiled down rendering of all chainsaws in existance today! I am not a fan of the 270; better than the 1123 line, with better plastic and some more metal. But an oddball saw. I do not know much about the 445, but I would venture to guess that it has an outboard clutch.

In the end? Yah, its $500+ for a good light pro 50cc saw. But even then there is still the vibration of the 260, and the outboard clutch on the 346XP. :bang: There is no 50cc equivalent to the MS3651 out there that is available with service and all that. Yet.

Poley4

put a dolmar 420 or 460 in the wood against the 250!

Put a jonsered 2141 or 45 in the wood against the 250!

These saws are in the same price range and are more pro built with much better performance!

Poley4

put a dolmar 420 or 460 in the wood against the 250!

Put a jonsered 2141 or 45 in the wood against the 250!

These saws are in the same price range and are more pro built with much better performance!

That's what I'm looking for...someone in my area with some of those superior saws to compare against.

Latest posts

Back