Advise on a small saw, ms241 or maybe an olemac 440 0r 947

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH I can fix them, but I would be very unpopular with these sellers, who all know each other.
Am dealing with people who put sawdust in gearboxes to keep down noise, and razor blades behind
shell bearings, they deliberately destroy engines for fun and always seem to find a victim when they
get them back in one piece, plenty of car boot sale guys have saws, they want almost the same price
as new, and unless you got inside the saws, you could end up with an expensive door stop,
run them your thinking, oh sorry, were not insured for you to do that, hmm, you cant run a saw
here, they will complain about the noise, hmm, no you cant take the plug out, do you think am
telling you lies, this is a great saw, hmm, you rarely see a genuine saw for sale here, I sell mine,
but people know my stuff is what I say and I never have trouble selling on to upgrade.
A lot of people here go to bed, and wake up a mechanic, a saw doctor, or such, and I would
rather not pay for their mistakes, you guys who know saws know it only takes one slip
up to cause a lot of damage and expense, that is why I would rather have a new Olemac than
chase after second had Stihls or Huskys, no one sells them here unless they screw them up.

I have seen old Olemacs here, they are for the most part mechanically reliable, oregon parts,
carbs are standard, as mention by another the coil can give out, (thanks for remembering me),
the only other thing I have determined is they are not a fast cutting saw, slow chain speeds,
maybe that is why the old ones are about for so long. replacement barrel and cylinders are more
expensive for them, but the genuine ones are cheaper than for other brands OEM parts.

If I could get one to try I would soon know if it would do my jobs, might try an hire one if they
have the same models I mentioned, there are no cats on them, no electronic fuel control, that
is also something I like, keep it simple.

I do not envy you! Fair enough mate; hope you find what you need!

I know nothing about Olemac saws, but I can tell you that I LOVE my 241. When full of fuel and ready to go to work it's a full pound lighter than the 261, which is the lightest saw in it's class. A simple muffler mod and timing advance goes a long ways to really wake them up.

A fellow that cuts wood with me runs a 241, its a very capable cutting machine stock but now wants me to wake it up a bit more. If I had a need for a smaller saw that would be my choice.

Here’s a hot-woods ported 261c running 16” b/c with ps 63 ... custom made adapter that allows use of K/N or UNI filter ... little quicker than the 241c thru the timber but that’s to be expected as the 261c is 50cc and the 241c is only 42cc ... 8 cc is lot to give up in a piston- ported motor ! 241c hot woods ported with custom adapter (same as 261c)

I was looking to get a small saw, to trim branches and cut the odd small tree, (12 inch).
I like the look and feel of the Stihl 241, but the prices are crazy, 630.00 euro.
That lead me to look at the Olemac range, on paper they seem good enough for the
money, twin ringed piston, parts are available to me, and they are light enough too.

Anyone use an Olemac 440
42.9cc/2.9hp
• 4.3Kg in Weight
• 18" Bar & Chain

Or the Olemac 947
  • 45cc/3.1hp Engine
  • 4.9kg in Weight
  • 18" Bar & Chain

I think they use the same chassis, only smaller engines, and have heard nothing bad
about them.

Any info on these Olemacs welcome, am sure the Stihl is a much better saw,
but I can get the Olemac 440 for half the price, difficult to turn down considering
this will be used for light work, constant though once it starts.

You probably are more familiar with the Stihl spec,
42.6cm³
2.3kW/3.1bhp

Bar Length
13", 15" or 16"

Weight
4.5 kg

Saw Chain Pitch
3/8"P
Vibration level left/right
2.9/2.9 m/s²

The chains on the Olemacs seem more popular, than the 3/8 P on the Stihl,
and someone told me these 241 saws dance about a lot, something to do with a cutter
left out because of the drive rim and bar length configuration, is this ttue, this alone
would put me well off, for a small saw dancing about is no fun.

I have larger saws, ms 362, Makita 6100, and have been using an ms 251 on loan,
its a cracker of a saw, but its 575.00 euro where I live, Ireland.

Any comments on these saws welcomed, and any better prices spotted
welcomed.

Thanks to all

Same here,Stihl ms 241 c-m is listed on official Stihl page for 700€.Stihls are really expensive in Greece,same applies for Husky,even Echo are expencive(CS 590 for 550€).Only "cheap" saws in Greece are the dolkitas,you can get here an EA4300 for 300€,a ps 5100s for 390€ and an EA6100 for 500€.Anyway your best bet is to look at ebay(as i did) for a good deal on a Echo cs 490.I bought one for 200€ plus another 100€ for shipping and customs clearance.300€ for an cs 490 i think is really good.

Efco 147-oleo mac 947 is a really good saw,not a "pro" saw as guys in here like them but a very reliable one.The Efco mt 4400-oleo mac 440 is again a very reliable saw.Every product from Emak is reliable,i have an Efco Stark 42 string trimmer since 2010,it starts everytime and works as it should,i have never put anything on it except for gas+oil and string.

Back