Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will figure it out, worse than a bulldog when it get it on, won`t stop til it runs right. Worst part about these carbs is parts are NLA. It now holds both vac and pressure, all passages clear but has a strange check valve assembly and circuit plate.
Ready for me to send you this other one then? Only stipulation is it comes with the rest of the power head attached!

I guess I could hunt down a coil... then fiddle with the carb.... but why?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I will figure it out, worse than a bulldog when it get it on, won`t stop til it runs right. Worst part about these carbs is parts are NLA. It now holds both vac and pressure, all passages clear but has a strange check valve assembly and circuit plate.
I get that way sometimes

Speaking of luck...

For the last, I don't know, five years, I've been dragging out the 290 when there's cutting to do, and I always think, "I really ought to fire up the 660, at least empty out the fuel...", Then sickness, injury or laziness get in the way. Cleaning up from hurricane Zeta made me think it was time. TBH, I was expecting but to be new carb time.

Dragged it out, dumped the fuel, poured in fresh. Compression release, two pulls, cough. Compression release, off choke, starts on the next pull. Obviously there is a higher power that looks out for lazy drunkards.

Got the hammock tree all processed and the break cut off the trunk and perhaps a third of the original offender cleaned up. Wind’s ‘spose to due east in the morning, so as soon the ebb tide exposes my crack in the ledge where I burn, I’all have a good fire down the beach with an offshore breeze. Good thing is I can stihl hang my hammock on the burl tree .....broken up above where my hook is located....but my shade is now gone.....

3C565B12-F39E-49F0-9776-8B640B5CE561.jpeg

86179AFF-E1C6-4A5A-B41C-4023DC27C264.jpeg

Ready for me to send you this other one then? Only stipulation is it comes with the rest of the power head attached!

I guess I could hunt down a coil... then fiddle with the carb.... but why?

Send it up, I will pay the shipping .

So we got the second blowdown processed with my ported, original 49sp and got the top of the first blowdown all taken care of but just about dark she went into a fit!! I’ve been using it in a log pile lately in totally upright position but as I started using it it multiple positions gas would sometimes run out of the air box??? When she finally quit and would not restart I simply grabbed the 62/268XP and continued on as it was very close to dark. Thanksgiving morning I tore into it and found the tygon fuel line had squizzled up and got hard so it not longer fit the hole in the tank properly which was where the gas was coming from and on further examination it has actually broke off inside the tank!! So I dug out the island 49 sp and installed a be oem Tillotson kit.....field kit rebuild....no compressed air... no ultrasonic. Just paper towels and WD 40. The effort was successful and she fired right up fifth pull! This saw was the only saw I evah bought off eBay as a running unit. $114.00 delivered.... and it was as described, started right up and has run flawlessly since 2010.... I think the carb kit was original as the gaskets were made right into the carb body.... had to chisel them off with my Olfa (‘Nadian utility knife)..... I haven’t run my ported 49 along side a stocker in a while..... quite a difference!!! Woot!

A couple pics of some of the tribulations.... cut all the limbs of the right side but it stihl wanted to roll towards the building so I hitched up my “lug-all” with a couple choker chains and hauled her ovah!!!

Stihl puzzles me why this tree fell ovah!!!View attachment 870678View attachment 870679
Gravity is why. Duh.

The gravity of the situation was readily apparent cutting all the 4-5” limbs of the right side of the stem which was 6-7 feet off the ground!!! There seemed to be some tension involved!!
Same situation I had helping dad the other day. I had the stem worked back and only 8' or so hanging suspended from the twisted stumps and it still pinched as I was knocking off 16" blocks. Lots of internal forces.

Wind tuffened twisty grained gnarley wood, not the best splitting kind. Burn er in the round or spend some time rippen er with the chainsaw, some call noodling. Makes me think of the times spent on the offshore island here where my dads family had a fishing rig.
We still keep our time to the turn of the tide and this boat I built with my father. Still lifts to the sky, the one lunger and I, still talk like old friends on the water.

Latest posts

Back