Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I guess it is worth saying I dog almost all my saws in on almost everything, and that does typically put more load on a saw, so that may be some of it lol, dogging in on hardwoods requires a decent amount of torque.

And while we are learning a lot today. What all does everyone use for impulse lines? I've been looking for an alternative to OEM and think I have found something promising, It should be delivered at some point next week.

dont have much ash down here, but White oak has the same hardness and red oak is a little softer. We do have a lot of hickory down here though which is harder.
This particular chunk of ash is very hard, harder than most red oak, thinking about it actually the only red oak I've cut that's harder is frozen :cold:.
Hickory can be a bugger, especially when it's little whips buried in the mud your trying to grade out :rare2:.
And I guess it is worth saying I dog almost all my saws in on almost everything, and that does typically put more load on a saw, so that may be some of it lol, dogging in on hardwoods requires a decent amount of torque.
Depending on what I'm doing, the grind on the chain, and the saw I'm running, I dawg them in hard myself, but mostly for felling.
My 044 is super ugly haha, dont know how the guy managed to keep a clean piston with the abuse he put that saw through!
Ugly like this, look at the covers, 044 covers duct tape on the whole in the filter cover.
I like to run a 20" lightweight bar on it as my lightweight 70cc saw and the dawgs add weight.
Pretty sure this was the first tank through it, I like to keep my chains as self feeding as possible, keeps the tips out of troublesome areas when running to long of a bar for the job(24 on it here).

You guys want to find out what kinda testicular fortitude your saw has, find a big piece of Osage Orange, or what us Midwestern hillbillies refer to as hedge.

You know it's hard when your spitting Sparks out the end
We get some good sparks out of dead black locust, but I'm thinking hedge is way harder.

And while we are learning a lot today. What all does everyone use for impulse lines? I've been looking for an alternative to OEM and think I have found something promising, It should be delivered at some point next week.
Black rubber echo fuel line. Got some stuff the other week and am using it for fuel line as well. Interested to see how it holds up against the fuel in a year or so. Got it because it's stays more flexible in the cold temps than tygon.

Stuff came factory in my Echo cs400, it's got some age on it, about 5 years or so and still holding up. Don't know if factory line is better or the same. Had a husky trimmer that was about fifteen years old and had black rubber lines, I guess factory. Out lasted the rear crank bearing.

Steve

You gonna keep it a secret :cool:.
Polytetrafluoroethylene tubing (PTFE)

Resistant to temps up to 500 F

Impervious to most all industrial chemicals including most acids

It is flexible, I don't know how much though so that has to be tested, and it has a 2mm thick wall, so we will see if it can stand up to vacuum

It's main applications are laboratory, mechanical and aerospace.

Polytetrafluoroethylene tubing (PTFE)

Resistant to temps up to 500 F

Impervious to most all industrial chemicals including most acids

It is flexible, I don't know how much though so that has to be tested, and it has a 2mm thick wall, so we will see if it can stand up to vacuum

It's main applications are laboratory, mechanical and aerospace.
Sounds great.
So working on saws is rocket science :rock:.

Back