Which 046 did I just buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonCraig

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Bought a basket case 046 today & am trying to learn more about it. I found a Stihl TSB talking about a change to the jug. Was this the upgrade from 10mm to 12mm wrist pin?

My saw is 1 33 908 445. If I'm reading correctly, I'm the old style, then?

You who know better than I, am I getting my hopes up? Probably just a run of the mill 046, huh?

Thanks in advance!

--JC

IMG_7796.PNG IMG_7795.PNG IMG_7792.JPG IMG_7793.JPG IMG_7794.JPG

The 046/460 has the most factory variants of the cylinder than any other Stihl model I've encountered.

My understanding was that the earliest cylinders were the coveted "D" chamber jugs which have a smaller D shaped combustion chamber and are supposed to be more aggressively timed than there Hemi chambered counterpart.

I don't follow that service bulletin that states that the old 046 jug was still available and the low comp version.

I prefer the Hemi chamber for porting myself. Keeps compression down.

Well what do you know? It looks like a "D" in there! None of those lines are transfer--just wear. I can't feel any of those marks with a fingernail and there's still original cross-hatching in a few spots. Looks like it was just used a lot, but never had any big failure. My guess is when the handle broke the saw got put out by the wayside.

The saw needs a new tank, all the plastics, a clutch, clutch cover, bar & chain... I usually buy more or less complete saws of CL, but the price was right on this one, and I like a challenge. Purely financially, it probably makes more sense just to part out what's left, huh? How much is that jug worth?

IMG_7805.jpg IMG_7799.jpg IMG_7800.jpg IMG_7801.jpg IMG_7802.jpg IMG_7803.jpg IMG_7804.jpg IMG_7809.jpg IMG_7810.jpg

You're right... the May '96 serial number is a good indicator, but it could have been replaced with a later D cylinder at some point in its life.

Now to go read up on degree wheel stuff. Never done it before. I seem to remember you having a thread on it, Brad? To the search bar I go!

My first time using a degree wheel, so let me know if I'm way off.

Zero'd the wheel at TDC.

Intake JUST starts to close at 14 deg after TDC.

Intake totally closed at 73 deg after TDC.

Exhaust JUST starts to open at 103 after TDC.

Exhaust totally open at 180 (which is BDC)

Upper transfer was really hard to measure. I stuck a soft piece of wire through spark plug hole and followed piston up. I felt it go into transfer, then when the piston "hung" it, I read the degree wheel. I got 131 degrees after TDC. Which (given the width of the wire), means it would have opened a hair earlier.

Do those numbers even make sense?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back