Which 046 did I just buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brad,if the first version of the 046 had the optimum port timing why did Stihl change it?Same as my 066 redeye cylinder i believe,better than later 066's?Just curious on these changes.
Cheers,Chris.

I was told at the time it was to meet the next tier of EPA emissions standards- Stihl changed the timing in all of their professional grade models and made the exhaust outlet on the muffler tiny, helping to reduce raw hydrocarbon emissions. The result was that the machine would have more latent heat in the cylinder and muffler but it also resulted in many more torched saws.

I was told at the time it was to meet the next tier of EPA emissions standards- Stihl changed the timing in all of their professional grade models and made the exhaust outlet on the muffler tiny, helping to reduce raw hydrocarbon emissions. The result was that the machine would have more latent heat in the cylinder and muffler but it also resulted in many more torched saws.
Tiny as in barely fits a pencil tiny--- unreal how far Stihl took that restriction on these saws.

Thank you all for your help on this. I think I'm going to swap this jug onto my 460.

Would you swap the piston, too? The 460 has a Meteor piston in it now with maybe 3 tanks through it.

Would the old 046 piston be better, since it's matched to the jug?

Put some new Caber rings in while I'm at it?

It needs a new tank, clutch, clutch cover, carb, all the plastics, etc. Doesn't seem to make much sense money-wise.

I just sent my "'D' cylinder, optimal port timing" 046 off to have a full rebuild, clutch replacement, some plastics replaced, bearings and seals, piston and rings, aluminum transfer cleaned from cylinder, etc. It wasn't exactly inexpensive, but I have a suspicion that it'll totally be worth it.

Oh, some woods porting too. Anywho, I guess the point is, how much would a similar new saw cost? May as well compare a well-prepared 046 to a stock 660 or so. Price one of those lol.

Back