Stihl .031 ignition ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fj40dave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

After searching the threads, I have come to the conclusion I need a new ignition module for my .031

I asked "fish82662" over on E-Bay (seeing if he had the part....outa luck there, but recomended the post here)

I've attached a couple pic's of my project so far.

Anyone know where I can purchase one of these ignition modules for my saw?

fj40dave

Glad you posted the pics, the number you asked me about was the module
that was used to upgrade the old points coil to "electronic", which is
basically a "nova" module.

It bolted on an angled bracket bolted on the coil frame, and replaced the points without
going under the flywheel, used on many saws of that era, and is likely still available from Stihl, but the aftermarket modules are cheaper, if they will
fit. The 032 has more room than the 031, but I digress......

"BOTI"....I'll give Brian a call tomorrow....thank you!

Fish, do you think I could modify the .031 so the larger "nova" would fit if I have to use that option? I have a grinder and I aint 'fraid of usin it

Hi all,

After searching the threads, I have come to the conclusion I need a new ignition module for my .031

I asked "fish82662" over on E-Bay (seeing if he had the part....outa luck there, but recomended the post here)

I've attached a couple pic's of my project so far.

Anyone know where I can purchase one of these ignition modules for my saw?

fj40dave

Why can't you just clean the points?

B200....I'm not sure what the points are.....except the kind I would see in a distributor of a gas motor ie; my '67 Chev 283 distributor.

I do see where the black coil looking thing has a metal surface that (my assumption) picks up a signal from the spinning wheel surfaces that go by it.

The black metal surface did have a lot of gunk on it - which I cleaned off before taking pic's.

B200....I'm not sure what the points are.....except the kind I would see in a distributor of a gas motor ie; my '67 Chev 283 distributor.

I do see where the black coil looking thing has a metal surface that (my assumption) picks up a signal from the spinning wheel surfaces that go by it.

The black metal surface did have a lot of gunk on it - which I cleaned off before taking pic's.

The points are behind the flywheel. You will probably need a puller to get it off. Likely the points just need cleaned, and it will spark just fine. Do a search on here, and you'll be more than covered. I wouldn't buy any parts until you make sure what you have there is all correct. It looks like some 031's had points, and some did not. Lets figure out what you have first.

The saw likely came out with the trigger unit instead of points. As far as I can tell, the trigger 1118 400 1001 is still available for @ $32 from Stihl.
A Nova module may fit in it's place on the small angled bracket. which is
pretty much the same thing.

Here's a few pic's - I don't see any points behind the fly wheel :(

Sorry, man. That is what happens when the pics are not embedded, and I don't open them (usually.) If there are no wires coming from behind the flywheel, and you don't see any points in there, it probably doesn't have them. I was thinking that if it were converted to electronic, you could revert back to the points just to get it running. My bad. Sorry for confusing the matter.

Sorry, man. That is what happens when the pics are not embedded, and I don't open them (usually.) If there are no wires coming from behind the flywheel, and you don't see any points in there, it probably doesn't have them. I was thinking that if it were converted to electronic, you could revert back to the points just to get it running. My bad. Sorry for confusing the matter.

I wouldnt be sorry cause I was going to suggest the same thing. If it was an original points converted then maybe previous owner left he points. That was worth a shot. :cheers:

I don't have any wires coming out from behind the flywheel.....so no points....cool! I like the education I'm getting about the saw's electronics, no need for any appologies :)

Fish, the Nova module? Is it something I should install, or for just $32 go to Stihl and get the assy that's out of it now?

The first thought I have is dependability:

If the Nova module will outlast/perform the $32 replacement, I would rather go with that.

Dave

I have not ever had any problems with the nova module, but I would go for the Stihl version, if it is Still available, as you know that it will fit,
and the quality is likely better, and the cost only a little more.

Thank Yoiu for the info on the Nova Fish, I think I'm going to call the local stihl dealer and get a price quote on the module.

Dave

(just ordered the part from my local Stihl Dealer: $37 :))

Last edited:
Deal!

The saw is all apart right now - gives me a chance to really clean it up some.

I'm thinking about a muffler "mod" at the same time.......but that's another thread :greenchainsaw:

It is an electronic version so no point for sure unless it was converted from point and the point was left behind. It is electronic because you see the stihl OEM trigger module. The flywheel must be also an electronic version (see that electronic mark guys?). Assuming the coil is good (99% it is unless the primary circuit wire has broken / torn off from the coil body) and the ignition high-tension wire is good (screwed into the coil?), I believe the trigger module is shot. Just replace it (Stihl OEM) or get the aftermarket yellow atom module (~$15? @ bantasaw.com). If you get the atom one, just hot glue it on the coil and take out the stihl trigger module + the mount bracket.
It is the yellow atom that you need, not brown one which is for point. Yellow atom is equivalent to the stihl OEM trigger module. Nova module will not work as it is for point version. Nova module is equivalent to Atom brown, so are many "universal ignition modules" currently available on the market.

If you can't get the yellow atom module and the stihl OEM is too expensive or you don't want to wait too long for your stealer to get it, get a hold of a non-electronic flywheel, then you can use the brown atom or a Nova (~$15 or about $8 if you have wholesale access) (and ship me the electronic flywheel that you no longer need ;).)

Remember 031 coil is reverse polarity so ground the positive tab of the atom or nova module.

030 has the same ignition but 032 ignition is totally different animal.

If the primary circuit has 1 ohm and the 2nd circuit has 10K ohm, then the coil is good. If the primary has infinite, chances are that wire coming out from the coil body is torn inside by too much handling. You can fix it by digging/melting into the body of the coil and re-solder it.

Last edited:
I haven't forgotten this thread......I just haven't received the new ignition module I ordered from the dealer yet :dizzy:

Pic's coming when the re-assembly begins.

I'm in exactly the same boat today. Working on an 031AV of my niegbhors with points. Flywheel is off. Thought about just going to the atom since we are there. I take it from this thread I need the brown atom. Does it just hot melt to the coil too?

Back