Iron & Oak Log Splitter (Pic Heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Plumber

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had an Iron and Oak Vertical/Horizontal splitter sent to PA a few weeks ago. Model: 2609 with a Honda GX engine.

The unit was sent to a friend's place of business to save a little on freight.

Assembly was very straightforward. It took about 1.75 hours from uncrating to done.

The instructions were excellent. Even though it called for two persons, I was easily able to get it put together by myself with no issues. (Having a heated shop to work in, and a concrete floor to work on sure didn't hurt!)

When I got the unit home, I found that it had slid around in the crate a little and the engine was damaged. Iron & Oak's customer service is exemplary. They sent out a new engine right away, and I had it by the week's end.

Due to holiday traveling and bad weather, I haven't been able to run the unit until this afternoon.

The pics:

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats a nice lookin unit. I rented an Iron & Oak a handful of years ago before I built mine, darn near bulletproof. If its anything like the rental I had you should be very happy with it. Sure it costs a little more up front but it should provide years and years of trouble free operation. If I wasn't in the fabrication business I would have bought that exact unit. :cheers:

I have run a few different splitters in the past, but I must admit, this is a nice unit.

The construction/welds/fit and finish seem very good.

The Honda engine started on the first pull after assembly, and today it took two pulls to get things going. Temp was in the high 20's/low 30's F. today.

Cycle time on full throttle was exactly 12 seconds (7 seconds down - 5 seconds retract). I ran it just a touch over 3/4 throttle, and was getting 13 seconds cycle time.

The wedge and guides are very clean. No bolts sticking out to catch a finger/thumb/hand.

attachment.php

The anti skid on the foot is decent. It could use another row of "teeth," but does pretty well.

attachment.php

The splitter had plenty of power. I haven't actually enjoyed working on tough-to-split chunks before, but what this thing didn't split, it just cut.

Worked on all Honey Locust today. This was a particularly tough looking piece.

attachment.php

Hey that looks familiar! Good luck with it! If it works as good as mine you should be a happy splitter!

NICE!!! What was so damaged that they sent you a new motor? WOW definitely good customer service...

Part of the steel cover under the muffler was bent. They told me not to fiddle with it. They were concerned there could be hidden damage. After they received some digital pics, they sent out a new motor the next business day.

I like to split the wood fairly small. The Pacific Energy seems to like it that way. With my old splitter, I tended to leave large chunks due to the slower cycle time.

A couple of hours splitting...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Now some interesting stuff...

Here are a couple of Honey Locust thorns that were completely intact after splitting. There were quite a few like this.

You can see where the thorns pulled out of the heartwood. Some of the thorns are still wicked sharp!

attachment.php

I guess these are Locust Wasp larva? I did put Borax over the wood pile a few times last summer, but these things were still all over it. The adults are fairly large, fly, and are black & yellow in color.

I have never seen them on Oak, Maple, Hickory, or Ash.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Here's a pic of an "in the field" mod.

The main pivot pin was vibrating/rattling like crazy.

After sticking a couple of "shims" in, she was as quite as a mouse. Well, quieter anyway...

attachment.php

In summary, this is a nice unit.

I did look at the Vert/Horizontal units by American and Timber-wolf, but found they were significantly more money for similar models.

Sure there are a couple of things I would change, but the overall, I would recommend this splitter; Plenty of power, good cycle times, tows well, 2" foot plate, etc.

Congrats, that's a nice looking unit. I suspect my Troy-Bily 27 ton splitter will outlive me, but if not, I'd like to get an Iron & Oak next time.

Enjoyed all the pics, especially the larvae! :)

nice!!!!!!!!!

i was interested in one of these myself where did u order it from and how much if u dont mind me askin:givebeer:

and i was right tom trees:popcorn::hmm3grin2orange:

All right folks. Credit needs to go where credit is due!

Mr. Trees let me bend his ear about log splitters one day. In fact, I hadn't yet settled down on which brand to go with; Did have it narrowed down to three.

After we talked, I felt very comfortable with the Iron and Oak.

Thanks, Tom.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back