Iron & Oak Log Splitter (Pic Heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right folks. Credit needs to go where credit is due!

Mr. Trees let me bend his ear about log splitters one day. In fact, I hadn't yet settled down on which brand to go with; Did have it narrowed down to three.

After we talked, I felt very comfortable with the Iron and Oak.

Thanks, Tom.:cheers:
aney time tom:cheers:

Your hydraulic hoses look kinda tight when upright,...

any way to turn your fittings to get more slack?

Well, I did two more 2 hour splitting stints just to see how much got done.

The first pic is from yesterday: 2/3 of it was Red Oak and the rest Beech.

The second pic was 2/3 Red Oak and the rest White Oak. Both batches were large rounds and have been on the ground for 2-3 years.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Great Units

That is a nice splitter. I also had a problem with my Wallenstein. After about 3 months of use my control valve went bad. EMB Mfg. Fed Ex overnight me one. Which I thought was also great. Those Iron & Oak splitters would be another choice if mine ever gets tired.:greenchainsaw:

That's some good lookin wood to have been on the ground for that long.

The Oak was pretty decent.

The Beech, even though it was held off the ground by another log, was is pretty bad shape. The inside was excellent. The outside had about 4 inches of punk all the way around.

Good thing the rounds were 24" plus. Wouldn't have had much left otherwise.

Part of the steel cover under the muffler was bent. They told me not to fiddle with it. They were concerned there could be hidden damage. After they received some digital pics, they sent out a new motor the next business day.

You can't complain about that kind of service! :clap:

I got my maul from those folks, their mini maul, and a few wedges. All good; still using them. I also got their mini sledge hammer, which broke before the season was out. All I was using it for was setting wedges. :confused:

But, they are great people to do business with, and they build one solid machine. There's some real steel in those!

:cheers:

Iron and Oak

I have the same splitter, got it this year online. It is fast. Mine also had and engine problem when received on the Honda engine. No pin in the float in the Carb. Had it fixed locally under warranty. Split 2 cords in about 2.5 hrs by myself without stacking.

Your cycle time is basically the same as my Huskee/Speeco unit. Some people think that's too slow, but I think you guys have proven what I've been saying for a few years now: Fast cycle time is vastly overrated. That thing will work you to death!

Unless you have 3 or 4 people working the splitter, faster cycle times aren't going to speed things up. The manpower is the bottleneck, not the cycle time.

Last edited:
Oak and Iron Splitter

I have the same splitter. Bought it new in 2003. I live 15miles from the factory . The folks at Oak And Iron are tops! Took the splitter in for a leak in the hydrolic system. They found a half dozen things to fix under warantee !!
New cylinder,hoses,wedge, etc. Even changed the hydrolic fluid. If I have a problem I can just drop it off and usually get it back the next day. Usually they find a reason to bill the repair as warantee work. If there is a charge it is always extremely reasonable.
This machine is tank tough. We split 8 to 10 cords a year and usually the only maintenace is changing the engine oil once a season.
Tom

I have had another issue with the unit.

The control valve was starting to fail and the unit was leaking oil. Couldn't get the automatic retract to stay engaged.
Called and had a new one in a few days. Prepaid shipping back to the factory by I/O.

They have been very good about any warranty issues. Have been fortunate
to be able to do the work myself.

Ya know, all this warranty work talk has me thinking I'd rather have a machine that doesn't need it rather than good customer service that provides it.

Maybe the thread makes it sound worse than it is. :)

Ian

The first one you can chalk up to poor packaging. I suspect somebody at the plant had a bad day. It happens.

As for the valve, hmmm. I'm wondering if a certain valve manufacturer is having QC problems, because I had the same issue with my Speeco.

PA, what brand is that valve?

Anyway, EVERYBODY has problems from time to time. I'm more interested in how a company handles problems. Sounds like the I&O folks are handling them just fine! :cheers:

I bought some hand tools from them a few years ago. They were great folks to deal with.

The first one you can chalk up to poor packaging. I suspect somebody at the plant had a bad day. It happens.

As for the valve, hmmm. I'm wondering if a certain valve manufacturer is having QC problems, because I had the same issue with my Speeco.

PA, what brand is that valve?

Anyway, EVERYBODY has problems from time to time. I'm more interested in how a company handles problems. Sounds like the I&O folks are handling them just fine! :cheers:

I bought some hand tools from them a few years ago. They were great folks to deal with.

I took quick look this evening, and no name jumped out at me.
The splitter is kinda tucked away at the back with a bunch of stuff around it.
I'll try to get a better look tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back