So, any opinions on an ms192T vs. an ms200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blinky

Blinky

ArboristSite Operative
So, reading the other thread about climbing saws, I've narrowed my own choice down to Stihl... which is good, my other saws are Stihl and I'm in tight with a local Stihl Dealer.

I need a general purpose climbing saw, mainly for hardwood removals where cuts will be through say, 9" to 18" diameters. I've been using a hand saw or an 029 and I'd like to conserve some energy... I'm no Spring chicken anymore.

The choices are Stihl 192T or 200T. I want the top handle for sure. What are the differences when you're using them in a tree?

Will the PM or RM chains give the 192T better performance chunking down big sections?

I'm leaning towards the 192T because of weight and price but there has to be a reason why so many people are sold on the 200T.

I realize nobody around here has opinions or anything... but just this once, try and say what you really think.

Chip

OTG BOSTON

OTG BOSTON

Addicted to ArboristSite
because it's the best

I use the MS200T because it is the best climbing saw I have ever used. I started with the poulan 25 av which was a great saw, a little heavy and of course no chain break. Then I used the Echo 3400 for a few years which is a great little saw but more for pruning than removals. Then I moved up (in price anyway) to the Husky 335 which has plenty of power but could be tempermental when starting cold.

Now I use the MS200T with a 14'' bar, took out the spark arrester, and recently got a new air filter that is better than the original (not sure why, it is like plastic mesh, anyone know?) The thing just rips chips!!!!!!

Climb020

Climb020

ArboristSite Operative
I have used both in the tree. The 192 is ok for smaller branches but doesn't have the power like the 200. My 200 is over a year old and I have never done any service to it but change the chain and it still starts on the 1st pull most of the time. A buddy of mine just bought a 192 and can never get it started with under 5 pulls. Also the 192 has 2 chokes. I don't know why but one on the handle like the 200 and one on the side of the air filter. Not sure why maybe someone else can explain. Also the 192 has kinda a wimpy chain. It is the same as the one on Stihl's power pruner. As well I have hurd complaints that with the 14" bar the bar is very narrow at point and when cutting the saw wants to run out to the tip.

Buy the 200 and treat it like a baby and it will run like new for years. My 2 cents.

Thillmaine

Thillmaine

ArboristSite Operative
I have a 192 t and I love it. Also removed spark arrestor, from what I hear MS 200 is just as good if nto better, just the price really is the limiting factor. In my pinion 192T doesnt lack power compared to any other clibing saws i have used ( husky 338, Echo climber, as well as jonered climber)
just my opinion, overall 192 is aSICk saw, light as hell and reliable. I did have one factory recall item replaced, it was the fuel line changing it from rubber to steel, and with it came a new clutch kit.

TimberJack_7

TimberJack_7

ArboristSite Operative
I have used the husky 338, the Echo and the Stihl. Of the three, the Stihl MS200 is the only choice in the tree. The husky and the echo are pretty comparable. My personal saw is an 020T, the precursor to the MS200T. I have been using this saw for four years. It has always had enough power for me and never let me down. Yeah it is a big chunk to invest, but believe me you get your money back because it is extremely efficient cutting through the big stuff. Who wants to have a wimpy saw in the tree? Not me. Think of it as a time saver. Since time is money, it correlates.

Just buy the stihl ms200t, you won't regret it.

Remington0404

Remington0404

ArboristSite Lurker
I use the husky 334t and love it. My boss brought the 192 to a job to test out i only used it on the ground and was disapointed with it... the plastic seams cheap and flimsy, there was a lack of power, and i'd be afraid of the lanyard ring snapping off. on a plus side though it was very light and easy to handle with one hand. prolly be good for prunes

I know ur stuck with stihls, so i'm just sayin i'd definatly stay away from the 192...

maybe check out the huskys

just my 2c

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
Yeah, the 192 is for homeowners and landscapers. Just don't listen to OTG Boston, or burn up your saw and not work a job that requires an equiptment check. Can't believe you told him you screw up your (his) saw .
Jeff Lovstrom
By the way, if you want to alter the saws specs-- get off my job!

Just Mow

Just Mow

Don't touch my Willie !!!
I have both and I use the 200T almost all the time. The thing has power that will not quit. For the size limbs that you are talking about the 200 will cut faster for what you are doing.
Good luck.

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
192 = wannabe

200 = the real deal

Stop pretending you got the real deal, trade up to the master of top handled saws.

Also I think modified saws rock, wazzup with that guy carrying on about modded saws on his job?

I have an older 200 that's got 4 years on it now and it still goes hard ... hasn't had a muffler screen for that long either.

GO HARD or GO HOME!

Jim1NZ

Jim1NZ

ArboristSite Guru
Hahahah thats one way to put it Ekka!

I did some muffler porting and got the 200T re tuned, goes HARD.

Ha probably not a whole lot better but sounds mean. :hmm3grin2orange:

SteveBullman

SteveBullman

User Formerly known as stephenbullman
Ekka said:
192 = wannabe

200 = the real deal

Stop pretending you got the real deal, trade up to the master of top handled saws.

Also I think modified saws rock, wazzup with that guy carrying on about modded saws on his job?

I have an older 200 that's got 4 years on it now and it still goes hard ... hasn't had a muffler screen for that long either.

GO HARD or GO HOME!

hard do compare a saw use by years......a climber as slow as you using a saw for 4 years it probably the equivalent of a good climber having it for 1 year

OTG BOSTON

OTG BOSTON

Addicted to ArboristSite
jefflovstrom said:
Yeah, the 192 is for homeowners and landscapers. Just don't listen to OTG Boston, or burn up your saw and not work a job that requires an equiptment check. Can't believe you told him you screw up your (his) saw .
Jeff Lovstrom
By the way, if you want to alter the saws specs-- get off my job!

:jester: My "equiptment" works just fine.

What do you see as a problem with this Jeff? (more specifically)

"By the way" I do alter my saws to enhance performance,and I don't work with landscapers so you don't have to worry about seeing me on your jobsite.

Last edited:

Ekka

Addicted to ArboristSite
stephenbullman said:
hard do compare a saw use by years......a climber as slow as you using a saw for 4 years it probably the equivalent of a good climber having it for 1 year

Once again your true colours come out, you haven't got a clue .... they say most peoples last names came from their occupations ... bull seems most suitable. :hmm3grin2orange: Now run off to hoserville.

SteveBullman

SteveBullman

User Formerly known as stephenbullman
unlike you to resort to name calling ekka??

oh and i do have a clue cos you're constantly boring everyone with your vids remember

Buzzlightyear

Buzzlightyear

ArboristSite Operative
stephenbullman said:
unlike you to resort to name calling ekka??

oh and i do have a clue cos you're constantly boring everyone with your vids remember

A year Steve !

6 weeks maybe, I don't know how he finds the time to do any 'tree work' what with all the videos, bull, and forum posting. :givebeer: :buttkick:

Latest posts