books on 2-cycle engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello
I was wondering where I might find books on chainsaw 2-cycle engines. Just something that might help me understand why and how the engines work from the inside out. I was also wondering about seminars as well. I mean how would someone go about becoming a technician, one that is certified. Any help would appreciated thanks.

Most community colleges offer small engine classes as part of their course listings. I am interested in this same thing, as I dont know much about engines, but would like to. Due to the budget crisis in North Carolina the small engine class at the local community college was canceled....Figures

Rob

A couple of escellant books on this subject are A G Bell's Performance Two Stroke Tuning and Dr. Gordon Blairs Design and Simulation of the two cycle engine. TheY are both available from the SAE, borders,and Barns and noble

Most local Tech schools have good small engine repair courses. Most Community Colleges are phasing this program out because of lack of interest. This is proving to be a problem for the small engine repair field, technicians are getting older and there is no one to fill their shoes when they retire.
Josh

bwalker,
Have you in fact gone through that book on simulation of 2 stroke motors? That's something I might really be interested in, both from a learning perspective and also as a vehicle to excersize some of this overkill computer horsepower that I've got sitting here. I run circuit simulations all the time; mechanicals would be fun too.

Have you in fact gone through that book on simulation of 2 stroke motors?
I poked around in it a little bit, but never in depth because I didnt want to pony up the money for the thing. The book itself is VERY technical. It is used as a college text book at engineering schools the world over. If you want to mess around with sim I would check out the Tom Turners TSR softaware. His port time and head program are pretty cool and they are farely reasonable.

engine simulation software

Hello B Walker and Doug,
If you would like an comparison of the five computer softwares available go to www.macdizzy.com and scroll down thru the pages to computer software comparison. they try all five companys and critique them, they are Bi-motionv21, G. Blair SAE, Dynomotion 2, Mota V 50, and Tom Turner's TSR software. Very informative
Also Gordon Jennings book on two-stroke tuning is an excellent book.
ken K D Hotsaw

gorden jennings 2-stroke tuning

hello BWalker,
Your right on the hard to find status, I had to photocopy a friends book.
ken

Back