How many hours can one expect from a Stihl ms660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik_Danger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I recently posted about dolmar vs. stihl in the 90cc range...I think I am going to go with stihl but out of curiosity I was wondering what kind of longevity a person could expect with non abusive use. I also posted that I would be using it for mill work, but have found a guy with a sawmill that is extremely reasonable with his pricing ;-) let me know what ya think :)
just felling and bucking of serious hardwoods with care for the machine...

Last edited:
i think i heard somewhere that it was figured up to about 1200 hours, i might be wrong, ive never figured it up as to how long i get out of one of mine, but i just bought me a new one so i might have to figure it up, 2 weeks old and 15 gallons of gas thru it so far, good luck on your choice.

I'd have to do some figureing...I typically get two years out of a new 660,and usually they are still running when I retire them...I have a 066 right now though bought back in 01' that's still slingin' chips nicely

Not abused... 2000 +... Not to say thing like the clutch drum, clutch and recoil won't need replacing now and then, but the basic engine will last... but not so if you mill a lot with it...

Not abused... 2000 +... Not to say thing like the clutch drum, clutch and recoil won't need replacing now and then, but the basic engine will last... but not so if you mill a lot with it...

Hang on Lake, I'll get my calulator and see how many years that 2000 hours is. BTW could you tell me how many hours a day it will be used,;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

That figures out to 50 forty hour weeks! Are we talking wot or just idle with the occasional throttle blip?

I'd be surprised but I hope it's true.

Now hold on there Treeco. Surely during that 40 hour week the guy running the saw has to use the pot sometime during the day. I'll deduct 20 minutes per day for that. Now calulate that and tell me what you come up with, my durn battery just went dead in my calulator..

so what is a no bs answer of something the average user can expect? Keep in mind that person A may get a saw that lasts 2000 hrs. but person B gets a saw that lasts about the average use period. What are some of the average use periods that you guys see outa the stihl professional saws? I am by no means a professional, I will probably log far less hours than most of you but I need a powerful saw per my application. These things are expensive so I want to know if I am buying something that will last years or something that will simply last a few years...the saw is going to be used like a mother...but not daily and it will be used exclusively for hard wood felling. I really appreciate all of your feedback. The sales guys around here either talk :censored: about a saw that big or state mere opinions!

so what is a no bs answer of something the average user can expect? Keep in mind that person A may get a saw that lasts 2000 hrs. but person B gets a saw that lasts about the average use period. What are some of the average use periods that you guys see outa the stihl professional saws? I am by no means a professional, I will probably log far less hours than most of you but I need a powerful saw per my application. These things are expensive so I want to know if I am buying something that will last years or something that will simply last a few years...the saw is going to be used like a mother...but not daily and it will be used exclusively for hard wood felling. I really appreciate all of your feedback. The sales guys around here either talk :censored: about a saw that big or state mere opinions!

Does his helper blip the throttle while he's in the pot?

I'm sure most saws die from abuse.

Well I assume while the operator is on the pot the saw isn't running,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Messing with ya Treeco. Lake knows what I'm referring to.

There isn't a good answer. The answer depends on how you use and maintain the saw.

Dayumm good point there. Maintain it and it will go and go. Abuse it and won't last nearly as long as it could have. Durn Treeco your showing you know ya stuff tonite..

Nik needs to know the 660 will serve him as well or better than any saw on the market in it's size class.

Well Treeco you know as well as me there isn't a much better saw than a
660. I've seen them things come in the shop looking like they have been through pure hell. Toss a new plug and fuel filter in them and they are ready to go. I've used them, worked on them and own one thats yet to see a drop of fuel, saving it for my grandson. When the day comes I'll tell him this was one of the best chainsaws ever made.

NIK's orginal post and question stated "non-abusive use".

Take 2000 as the mid point...

If you don't abuse it (over-rev it, run out of gas at full throttle, no dirty crappy gas or bad mix, no lugging away with blunt chains, no guitar-string chain tension, clean the cylinder fins regularly, replace the fuel filter every 100 or so hours, don't mess with the carb to "get a little more", let it cool off etc etc.. it will easily last 2000.

Beat the crap out of it, ignore maintenance, rod it, port it, be abusive and you'll get a whole lot less. Be nice to it, maybe a lot more.

The 064, 066, 660 saws have more than proven that they are one of the most reliable, powerful and durable saws ever made.
How long it lasts depends on what happens to it.
Use good gas, good oil, don't lean it out, (run it out of gas and you lean it out) keep the chain sharp, AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE ENGINE TEMP. If your not sure make a few big cuts without a glove on your left hand and notice how the temp goes up when you load the saw. Let up on the cut and blow some heat out every once in a while. If you just finish a long hi temp cut blow some heat out before you turn it off. Air cooled engines don't handle long load cycles very well.
If you take care of it it should last you many many years of occasional use. But the damage of one lean incident or one heat incident, never goes away, it just accumulates.

Latest posts

Back