How many hours can one expect from a Stihl ms660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ut oh, these aren't Huskies, hmm, not surprising

attachment.php

Ben I love this high speed internet at work. Makes blowing you away so much quicker,LOLOL

Okkkkkkkk nuff fun. There are the saws Ben, like it or lump it they ran 10 yrs for a tree service, or professional user. Nuff said. Enjoy your day Ben, its been a pleasure fussing with ya, espeacially when I knew I was right all along and you was wrong, wink!

Last edited:
It does?
What it proves is you have a couple clunkers in your shop. What it doesnt prove is that these saws ran constantly for 12 years without wearing out, which is what you claimed.
Now your claiming ten years, but the math still isnt on your side. Given one year has 260 work days x 3 hours(I wouldnt consider constant,) per day x 10 years = 7800 hours. NO FREEKING WAY do those saws have that much time on them.
Of course maybe ridding around in the truck all day means constant use......

Whatcha hollering about Ben, the man proved you was right about some saws lasting two years, thats what he said about Huskies. Heck you should thank the man for proving you right on some things. I'll tell him you said thanks,hehe

Ben one last note of question

Tell me Ben do you really take a calculator to the woods with you,hmmmm, I'm begining to think you really do. Do you have a secratary time each cut and minute the saw is used, some pro you are,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The math doesnt lie my friend.........
On another thread lakeside said a saw will last around 2000 hours. For the sake of argument lets say these saws are exceptional and have 50% more time on them or 3000 hours. Now lets divide 3000 hours into 10 years. You get 300. Now divide that by 260 working days and you get 1.15. These says where ran slightly over 1 hour per day with these conservative figures.
I dont know how it is in Virginia, but a little over a hour isnt remotly close to full time as you implied and definatly doesnt constitute "constant" use..

Whatcha hollering about Ben, the man proved you was right about some saws lasting two years, thats what he said about Huskies. Heck you should thank the man for proving you right on some things. I'll tell him you said thanks,hehe

are we havin fun yet??????

It does?
What it proves is you have a couple clunkers in your shop. What it doesnt prove is that these saws ran constantly for 12 years without wearing out, which is what you claimed.
Now your claiming ten years, but the math still isnt on your side. Given one year has 260 work days x 3 hours(I wouldnt consider constant,) per day x 10 years = 7800 hours. NO FREEKING WAY do those saws have that much time on them.
Of course maybe ridding around in the truck all day means constant use......

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Fly $h_t out of the pepper,,,,,,,

On another thread lakeside said a saw will last around 2000 hours. For the sake of argument lets say these saws are exceptional and have 50% more time on them or 3000 hours. Now lets divide 3000 hours into 10 years. You get 300. Now divide that by 260 working days and you get 1.15. These says where ran slightly over 1 hour per day with these conservative figures.
I dont know how it is in Virginia, but a little over a hour isnt remotly close to full time as you implied and definatly doesnt constitute "constant" use..

Why don't yall kiss and make up???????????? :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Ben I would love to stay and torment ya some more but I gotta get back to work now. You continue on your calulator, don't wear a blister on ya finger and by all means remember what the man said, that professional user now, about your beloved Huskies. After hearing you say saws last two years and him saying it too by Joe it must be true , no wonder the man buys Stihl, same as me.

Been fun Ben, I gots to go get some new 460's ready to go, guess who.........

Hello, I recently posted about dolmar vs. stihl in the 90cc range...I think I am going to go with stihl but out of curiosity I was wondering what kind of longevity a person could expect with non abusive use. I also posted that I would be using it for mill work, but have found a guy with a sawmill that is extremely reasonable with his pricing ;-) let me know what ya think :)
just felling and bucking of serious hardwoods with care for the machine...

From what I have seen of pro fallers in this area: Depending on the operator they usually get between 6 months and 14 months of use out of them. This is figured on a 30 hr. work week; falling, limbing and bucking. Don't forget time walking in and out, fueling and sharpening.

The difference in time is usually the care a guy puts into his saw. Clean air filters and sharp chain. Also not excessively running the saw WOT out of the wood. Also I personally have not seen a difference between brands for how long the motors last. I have seen a huge difference in how long the mounts last and I will say that if you are willing to take a little abuse then the Stihl mounts last way longer than the husky mounts.

I agree with ben and dean. I don't think there is any longevity difference between stihl and husky. I prefer stihl, but it has nothing to do with longevity.

Tom has a good reason to pretend husky only lasts a couple of years. Its great for his customers to believe it, and a great subject of argument for him and ben.

I agree with ben and dean. I don't think there is any longevity difference between stihl and husky. I prefer stihl, but it has nothing to do with longevity.

Tom has a good reason to pretend husky only lasts a couple of years. Its great for his customers to believe it, and a great subject of argument for him and ben.

Yup yup, I like that ole Ben. Doesn't take alot to get him going but man it takes alot to slow him down,LOL

Far as customers go most could care less, they come to us because we're the only place in town that SERVICES WHAT WE SELL, ya hear that Ben, guess ya gonna tell me Husky has better service now too,hahahaha, I've yet to see a arm reach through a phone line and fix a saw on the spot, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

From what I have seen of pro fallers in this area: Depending on the operator they usually get between 6 months and 14 months of use out of them. This is figured on a 30 hr. work week; falling, limbing and bucking. Don't forget time walking in and out, fueling and sharpening.

Good post and thats about how it is in my area.

The difference in time is usually the care a guy puts into his saw. Clean air filters and sharp chain. Also not excessively running the saw WOT out of the wood. Also I personally have not seen a difference between brands for how long the motors last. I have seen a huge difference in how long the mounts last and I will say that if you are willing to take a little abuse then the Stihl mounts last way longer than the husky mounts
Are you talking about Stihl rubber mounts vs Husky spring mounts?
The only saw I have had to replace mounts on a regular basis was my Stihl 260. The mounts for that saw sacked out in no time. The 440,036 and 361 I owned had no issues with mounts wearing out prematurly and either have any of the Husky's I have owned.

Tom has a good reason to pretend husky only lasts a couple of years. Its great for his customers to believe it and a great subject of argument for him and ben.
Exactly!
Cant dazzle em with brillance baffle em with bull ****..
And its a poor subject to argue about if your an A. person who has nearly zero expiereance with Husky saws and B. try to make outrageous claims on Stihl longetivity that are pure non sense.

Good post and thats about how it is in my area.

Are you talking about Stihl rubber mounts vs Husky spring mounts?
The only saw I have had to replace mounts on a regular basis was my Stihl 260. The mounts for that saw sacked out in no time. The 440,036 and 361 I owned had no issues with mounts wearing out prematurly and either have any of the Husky's I have owned.

Exactly!
Cant dazzle em with brillance baffle em with bull ****..
And its a poor subject to argue about if your an A. person who has nearly zero expiereance with Husky saws and B. try to make outrageous claims on Stihl longetivity that are pure non sense.

Awwwwwwwwww now now, I fix some of those solid orange junkers Ben, in fact I may have well fixed more than you. I get a kick when they bring them here because there is no where else to take them in my area, right down embarrassing ya gotta go to a Stihl man to get your Husky repaired,LOL. Hey Ben speaking of longivity again let me show you something that just came in. More crow for you to chew on, open wide, this Stihl is only 25 years old. Match it by showing me a 25 year old Husky and I'll quit pickin on ya.

attachment.php

Get ya calulater out on that one Ben and tell me how many hours are on it,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Ben speaking of longivity again let me show you something that just came in. More crow for you to chew on, open wide, this Stihl is only 25 years old. Match it by showing me a 25 year old Husky and I'll quit pickin on ya.
What a testiment to reliabilty...a saw thats ran for a few years, then sits in a barn collecting dust for 23 and its some sort of miracle..:popcorn:

Far as customers go most could care less, they come to us because we're the only place in town that SERVICES WHAT WE SELL, ya hear that Ben, guess ya gonna tell me Husky has better service now too,hahahaha, I've yet to see a arm reach through a phone line and fix a saw on the spot,
I suppose service is a huge deal for your local clientel comprised of Yuppys escaping DC, who like to pretend their Paul Bunyan a few times a year with there trusty 290 with "20 inch blade".

What a testiment to reliabilty...a saw thats ran for a few years, then sits in a barn collecting dust for 23 and its some sort of miracle..:popcorn:

I suppose service is a huge deal for your local clientel comprised of Yuppys escaping DC, who like to pretend their Paul Bunyan a few times a year with there trusty 290 with "20 inch blade".

Yep and their money is green and the really smart ones buy 361's :rockn: and that would be Yuppies,,,,,

Last edited:
Yep and their money is green and the really smart ones buy 361's and that would be Yuppies[/QUOTE
In 25 years I bet Toms going to have a bunch of lightly used 361's come in to hace the gas drained and a carb cleaning...........Of course them saws lasted 25 years!

You boys are silly as a bunch of little girls. The man asked how many hrs a 660 would last.
There is not a concrete answer, there are to many variables.
Klickitatsacket is right on about pnw timber fallers replacing there saw nearly every year, but no one (in America) uses their saw like that unless they are a pnw faller. They have to keep a saw that wont have any issues. No wire insulation wearing through, no starter assembly failure. Nothing can go wrong because you can not carry a tool box with you and packing back to the truck to work on the saw is not an option.
Most people, including tree service and fire wood cutters who cut lots of logs into little bitty pieces run their saws much longer than pnw fallers.

You boys are silly as a bunch of little girls. The man asked how many hrs a 660 would last.
There is not a concrete answer, there are to many variables.
Klickitatsacket is right on about pnw timber fallers replacing there saw nearly every year, but no one (in America) uses their saw like that unless they are a pnw faller. They have to keep a saw that wont have any issues. No wire insulation wearing through, no starter assembly failure. Nothing can go wrong because you can not carry a tool box with you and packing back to the truck to work on the saw is not an option.
Most people, including tree service and fire wood cutters who cut lots of logs into little bitty pieces run their saws much longer than pnw fallers.

no one in america other than pnw fallers, huh???? im pretty sure that i do. on an average day i run at the least 1 1/2 gallons, and usually around 2 gallons of pre-mix through my 066/660 a day. figure that over around 140-180 days a year that i actually get to log, and that is quite a bit of running.

Back