How many hours can one expect from a Stihl ms660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat?

The 064, 066, 660 saws have more than proven that they are one of the most reliable, powerful and durable saws ever made.
How long it lasts depends on what happens to it.
Use good gas, good oil, don't lean it out, (run it out of gas and you lean it out) keep the chain sharp, AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE ENGINE TEMP. If your not sure make a few big cuts without a glove on your left hand and notice how the temp goes up when you load the saw. Let up on the cut and blow some heat out every once in a while. If you just finish a long hi temp cut blow some heat out before you turn it off. Air cooled engines don't handle long load cycles very well.
If you take care of it it should last you many many years of occasional use. But the damage of one lean incident or one heat incident, never goes away, it just accumulates.

Blow some heat out? Do you mean let it idle for a minute before shutting it down after a long cut?

Thanks,

Blow some heat out? Do you mean let it idle for a minute before shutting it down after a long cut?

Thanks,

No this is code for what Tom does in the outhouse! See the details in the beg for rep 2 thread :jester:

Last edited:
Not abused... 2000 +... Not to say thing like the clutch drum, clutch and recoil won't need replacing now and then, but the basic engine will last... but not so if you mill a lot with it...

Didn't I read something somewhere about 18,000 hours? :laugh:

Thanks,

Yes.. or just medium speed NOT in the wood (little power developed - heat - when not cutting).

A "must" when it's used for milling... (full power - so derate the engine - often for an entire tank..)

Last edited:

I not abused at all, I know guy's that have got 3000-4000 hrs out of one till they just wouldn't run anymore, or went BANG.;) :D :laugh: :rockn: :rock:

The thing should last over a decade of "constant' use with one of Thalls buys running it.

Well hello Ben, got good news for you. The saws are only ten years old that we were talking about, I ran the serial numbers this morning, bought in Oct. 1997, not 12 years old after all, doncha feel better now. He also came in and checked on them and as promised I asked him why he doesn't use Husky. He laffed and said they last about two years and their shot. So Ben in away your right, some saws only last two years after all.

I'll getcha some pics of these two saws this evening as I promised you. See Ben should never mess with a man that can keeps his promise, looks like I'm still THE CHAMP,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The saws are only ten years old that we were talking about, I ran the serial numbers this morning, bought in Oct. 1997, not 12 years old after all, doncha feel better now. He also came in and checked on them and as promised I asked him why he doesn't use Husky. He laffed and said they last about two years and their shot. So Ben in away your right, some saws only last two years after all
Typical brand loyal, go bot.

Thall, did you know the same company makes Husky and Stihls pistons and cylinders. Bearings are in some cases the same as well. Where is the extra 8 years coming from?????
Your a champ...in your own mind...:hmm3grin2orange:

Typical brand loyal, go bot.

Thall, did you know the same company makes Husky and Stihls pistons and cylinders. Bearings are in some cases the same as well. Where is the extra 8 years coming from?????
Your a champ...in your own mind...:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes Ben I know all about Mahle, do you. Could you be so kind since your a book of knowledge, are the cylinders on the Husky the same hardness as the Stihl, hmm,LOL

Ben it was too hot to eat out in the truck so I'm sitting here eating. Are ya ready for your photo show now. I figured since I'm sitting here in the AC I may as well shoot a few photo's,hehe. Let me give you the proof about what I told you. All you seem to give me is a bunch of BS but thats why I like you,LOLOL

uh oh, a worn out piston skirt

attachment.php

Still has 140lbs compression and it still runs, barely,LOL

Last edited:
[QUOTEYes Ben I know all about Mahle, do you. Could you be so kind since your a book of knowledge, are the cylinders on the Husky the same hardness as the Stihl, hmm,LOL

][/QUOTE]
I sure do. They make excellant stuff.
I am aslo quit certain that the coating on Mahle Cylinders are mahles own proprietary nikisil coating.

Ben it was too hot to eat out in the truck so I'm sitting here eating. Are ya ready for your photo show now. I figured since I'm sitting here in the AC I may as well shoot a few photo's,hehe. Let me give you the proof about what I told you. All you seem to give me is a bunch of BS but thats why I like you,LOLOL
And this would prove what? That you have a couple clapped out saws at your shop?
I dont need to see any pics of clapped out saws. If I wanted to look at one I would go down to my shop and stare out the blownup 039 on my bench.....

run that number Ben, tell me how old it is

attachment.php

If you cant read it its 135 085 792. Call me Ben, I'll run it for you,LOLOL

Last edited:
The 10 yr old 044

attachment.php

It proves I wasn't lying to you Ben, thats all.

Last edited:
It proves I wasn't lying to you Ben, thats all.
It does?
What it proves is you have a couple clunkers in your shop. What it doesnt prove is that these saws ran constantly for 12 years without wearing out, which is what you claimed.
Now your claiming ten years, but the math still isnt on your side. Given one year has 260 work days x 3 hours(I wouldnt consider constant,) per day x 10 years = 7800 hours. NO FREEKING WAY do those saws have that much time on them.
Of course maybe ridding around in the truck all day means constant use......

Latest posts

Back