MS260 vs Dolmar? ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Discuss......

I am looking for a pro type saw in the 50-60cc range and in the 10-12 lb range.

Right now I have a 460 and a 180 and am looking for something in between. I am a die hard Stihl guy but with all this talk about Dolmar it has me thinking.

I would like a 90+cc class saw, but I personally do not feel like I am ready for a saw that size, I just started cutting seriously about 6 months ago and am not comfortable with a saw that big (well, I am, but I know that if I have a saw that will power a big enough bar I will take a big enough tree down.)

I am looking for something that will do good with a 16-20" bar, but it has to be a pro grade saw, if I am going to spend the money I want to spend it only once.

It also has to be a saw with a adjustable carb so I can do a few mods to it.

I am looking at any saw that fits my needs regardless the mfg.

Thanks
Ross

357xp

359 (land owner saw but still a good saw if you switch out the muffler)

346xp

if you do a search on the dolmar you might find the 5100 but from what some of the boys are saying, it wont stand up to the demands you put on it.

i own both the 361 and the 359. truth be told, i kinda like the 359 a c hair more than the 361. they both wear 18inch bars.

but both do their job at 59cc's.

avoid the 455 if you want the real deal. that too is a land owner saw but cant hold the 359's jock strap.

The 026 is a good fit for the Stihl 3 saw plan with 180 and 460 at opposite ends.

A Dolmar 5100 is actually a better "in between" point if you don't mind mixing Dolmars with Stihls.

361 is a borderline option since it exceeds your 12 lb criteria. An 034 might be worth considering. IMHO they're great saws and just at 12 lbs.

IMHO the best Stihl 3 saw plan is 180, 361 and 660. In Dolmar it's 401, 5100 and 7900.

Last edited:
I guess I am confused, nothingnew there?

Dolmar 5100, Husky 346xpNE, Stihl 260, or a modded Husky 350 (what I choose). Then you can get into the lesser powered Dolmars that seem to run well.

For the 90cc plus well, 880, 3120, or an 090.

Not really sure what you want, a nible saw, or a monster?

Right now I am looking for a nimble saw. I am in the market right now to fit my 3 saw plan. With a 180 being the smallest and my 460 being my biggest (for now untill I need a 4 saw plan.)

I dont mind mixing saws, I like Stihl alot, but Stihl is the only thing I ever used so if there is something that will be just as good I wouldnt mind trying another saw out.

How do prices compare to the 260? I can get a standard 260 for around $480 with a 18" bar and a Pro for $520

I guess it all comes down to the best deal. I dont know what Huskys or Dolmars go for, I am a Stihl guy.

Right now I have the money and would like to get the best bang for my buck for a pro saw.

Is local dealer support a consideration? With 3 Stihl's in your fleet you might qualify for the "Stihl Frequent Sawer Program". :clap:

If cost is key there are a couple 5100's on the trading post that look like "cream puffs" for a tad over 3 bills each.

The 026 has a wonderful reputation but is getting a little dated. The 5100 has an excellent power to weight and price performance ratio but Dolmars have a few minor teething problems but nothing major.

Last edited:
Is local dealer support a consideration? With 3 Stihl's in the lineup you might qualify for the "Stihl Frequent Sawer Program". :clap:

If cost is key there are a couple 5100's on the trading post that look like "cream puffs" for a tad over 3 bills each.

Dealer support isnt a concern to me. I have a great Stihl dealer in the next town, but I am willing to travel.

My feeling is the only time I should need a dealer is to buy a new saw or a new bar and chain every so often. I work on my own saws.

You get to choose from the big three, LOL. The 5100 and 346 are quick, but I have only ran a ported 346 out of the 2. Try out a 026/260 if possible, a good muffler mod and they wake up, port the cylinder, run a 044 carb/foam filter and it's even better.:D I run 16" 3/8 b&c on mine and love 'em. I think you wood like any of those mentioned.:dizzy:

Just get the 7900 and have done with it. The 7900 is a good saw with good power to weight and handles well.
Sounds like the only reason your not getting a big saw is because your afraid at least a little by one.
If you get a big and run it you will see it's no big deal at all.
When I first started cutting I started with a Husky 350 and now I use a 395xp and couldn't see myself using anything smaller.

I dont mind mixing saws, I like Stihl alot, but Stihl is the only thing I ever used so if there is something that will be just as good I wouldnt mind trying another saw out.

I guess it all comes down to the best deal. I dont know what Huskys or Dolmars go for, I am a Stihl guy.

Even though you are a die hard stihl fan, in the 50cc range, you should really go for the new 346XP or PS5100.
The 260 is not bad, but it's outdated compared to the other two. The stihlheads are still waiting for a MS261
that never shows up. The 45cc version of the 346 was also a better saw than the 260.
And the 353 and the 2147/2152/2153 Jonnys.

90cc? the MS660 should fulfil your needs.

357xp

359 (land owner saw but still a good saw if you switch out the muffler)

Those all are out of the 10-12lbs range, the 361 admittedly just by .3lbs - the Huskys with a bit more despite the specs......

My suggestions are the NE346xp and the Dolmar 5100S.......:clap: :clap:

Right now I am looking for a nimble saw. I am in the market right now to fit my 3 saw plan. With a 180 being the smallest and my 460 being my biggest (for now untill I need a 4 saw plan.) ....

I nimbleness is important, go with the 346xp!

Last edited:
Sounds like the only reason your not getting a big saw is because your afraid at least a little by one.

I am not afraid of a big saw at all, I am afraid of what I will try do do with one. If I have a saw that can power a big bar, I WILL get a big bar and I WILL try to take down that huge tree. So it is more for my own saftey.

What is the price on a 5100 and a 346xp compared to a 260 at a dealer?

Pricing around here,

Dolmar PS5100 $389-$399
Husky 346XP NE $485
Stihl MS260 $469-$489

Some dealers, cash talks, hint hint.

If you go for the 346XP you may need to add the cost of a decent chain. The one that Husky put on mine is suitable a for Wal-Mart saw but that's about it.

Hope this helps

Take Care

Pricing around here,

Dolmar PS5100 $389-$399
Husky 346XP NE $485
Stihl MS260 $469-$489

Some dealers, cash talks, hint hint.

If you go for the 346XP you may need to add the cost of a decent chain. The one that Husky put on mine is suitable a for Wal-Mart saw but that's about it.

Hope this helps

Take Care

None of those saws come standard with very efficient chains in the US, due to the ANSI anti-kickback rules regarding saws below 61cc or so.........:monkey:

I was a diehard orange and white guy until I came here. Then my fatal mistake was meeting Spike60. Those purty red Jonsereds have seduced me away from Stihl big time. I have an older Stihl 026 (standard not Pro model) with a 16" bar running 3/8 .050 chain. It cuts good and weight is not an issue since I cut my sawing teeth on big Homelites many moons ago. After reading all the glowing reviews here of the Husky 346xp I had to try it out. I picked up a Jred 2153 from Spike with an 18" .325 chain. The cat muffler and stock chain disappeared in a tragic boating accident. All I can say is WOW! The saw is blazing fast compared to the 026 and feels much more nimble to me. It is now my favorite limbing saw. The 026 has been relegated to backup status and I may even put it up for sale. Get the 346xp (or better yet the 2153 Jred) and you will thank me later.

I was a diehard orange and white guy until I came here. Then my fatal mistake was meeting Spike60. Those purty red Jonsereds have seduced me away from Stihl big time. I have an older Stihl 026 (standard not Pro model) with a 16" bar running 3/8 .050 chain. It cuts good and weight is not an issue since I cut my sawing teeth on big Homelites many moons ago. After reading all the glowing reviews here of the Husky 346xp I had to try it out. I picked up a Jred 2153 from Spike with an 18" .325 chain. The cat muffler and stock chain disappeared in a tragic boating accident. All I can say is WOW! The saw is blazing fast compared to the 026 and feels much more nimble to me. It is now my favorite limbing saw. The 026 has been relegated to backup status and I may even put it up for sale. Get the 346xp (or better yet the 2153 Jred) and you will thank me later.

The MS260 actually is close to halv a pound lighter than the 2153......

Back