Dolmar PS420 after some use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi All I just thought Id refresh you about the New from DOLMAR PS420 this saw is a hit.... Don't confuse it with a PS401 other than using the A041 bar mount thats all it shares its a completely different all new saw. The one I have been using is wearing a GB Powertech 18" .325" .058" and I have been cutting ShagBark Hickory, Red Oak, and Hard Maple ranging in diameter from 8" - 16" and all I can say is WOW this saw holds it own its starts very well the starter works great the starting is flawless even when sitting in below zero temps it cranks right up. It ran out of gas and I grabbed my PS5100 to finish last friday and said the PS5100 is stronger yes the the perfect 3 saw plan would be the PS420 16" .325" then the PS5100 18" 3/8" and then the PS7900 20"-24" 3/8" thats what I use anymore and the more I use the lil PS420 the happier I am with it. I really wish it would come through USA distribution wearing .325" Like its european counterpart instead of the lo pro 3/8"

The Clutch is the same as the PS460, PS510, and PS5100 it really is hard to make slip like some other brands in this size. And it also shares the same sprocket combos Which makes it a great platform to work with.

Scott

Good to hear the favorable report.

Having had the opportunity to run several of the PS401's, I always thought it was one small saw that was highly under rated. For it's size, weight, and price there wasn't much that could compare. Used one on my friend's farm for clearing stone walls a couple years ago. I gotta say in 8 inch and smaller wood that saw with a good sharp chain was just great.

In my opinion if the PS420 is going to take the PS401's spot it's got some big shoes to fill. Nice to see Dolmar is still trying for a performance small saw at a reasonable price.

Not to be nosy, but roughly how many have you got out in the field?

Thanks for the update

Take Care

That is interesting about the 325 chain mine came in with 3/8 L/P but they sure do run good! My best seller is with the 18" bar also no problems and plenty of power for it's size!

I drilled the two spot welds out on the cat plate .........kept the cat mount plate in so I could keep the screen in........Thing really runs nice after a tune ......might open exhaust a bit more after break in ....Sound pretty nice ....:) :)

Funny about the b&c size: I was given a quote for the PS420 saw with a .325 only, and I declined, becasue I wanted a 3/8 low profile. I do not think that size saw has enough grunt for the .325 chains, unless they have a narrow kerf .325 for it. It would also be nice if there was like, ONE Dolmar dealer here with any real inventory of their saws.

I am stihl limping along with my 250 and the 025. Would be nice to have a pro-type replacement for them. :cry:

Vital info that goes into the black book.

it really is hard to make slip

Nice to hear for a saw that will run on the torque side. Instant torque hopefully and pulling BIG pounds through the curve as well. AREA 51 is gonna be dropping some torque bombs soon...B52 style!

Sweet.:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Good to hear the favorable report.

Having had the opportunity to run several of the PS401's, I always thought it was one small saw that was highly under rated. For it's size, weight, and price there wasn't much that could compare. Used one on my friend's farm for clearing stone walls a couple years ago. I gotta say in 8 inch and smaller wood that saw with a good sharp chain was just great.

In my opinion if the PS420 is going to take the PS401's spot it's got some big shoes to fill. Nice to see Dolmar is still trying for a performance small saw at a reasonable price.

Not to be nosy, but roughly how many have you got out in the field?

Thanks for the update

Take Care

I would say the 420 and the 401 aren't really comparable, as the 420 weights too much more - actually very close to some 50cc saws.

Some may be tiered of "hearing" this, but imo it is hard to see where it fits in a line-up, except as a better quality replacement for a MS230, Husky 340 and similar "homeowner" saws.

I have to agree with Sawtroll. The only reason to use a small saw is because it's lighter and more nimble. I haven't even considered the 420 as an option in my search for the best small saw because of it's weight. It weighs as much as a MS260! It's only 9-10 oz lighter than a 5100! I don't see it's purpose other than a price point. If I'm going to step down to a 35-40cc size saw, it's going to have to weigh 1-1 1/2 lbs less than the 420 or you might as well pick up your 50cc saw.

I still need to weigh one! In your hands it does not feel heavy! Especially when you consider it is a metal crankcase saw and not a plastic setup like the ms250 and 345 husky's are! Also the power of the saw stock is very very good! Cutinscott is right very good machine! The first saw I ran in that series was the 350 after making a cut with it I was in total awe of what that little guy can do! I use the 350 as a demo everyone is amazed at it! I had a couple of guys who tried it and said you cannot push on it real hard! I said you do realize that is only a 35cc saw! When they find that out they are dumbfounded:monkey: and usually end up buying a bigger dolmar usually the 420! I still sell 401's and will always have a place for one but the new 350/420 is a keeper for sure!:)

I would say the 420 and the 401 aren't really comparable, as the 420 weights too much more - actually very close to some 50cc saws.

Some may be tiered of "hearing" this, but imo it is hard to see where it fits in a line-up, except as a better quality replacement for a MS230, Husky 340 and similar "homeowner" saws.

Again .....Have you run one ........I dont think there is a need for the saws you own because you dont run any of them.....Seems all the people that demo'd a 420 liked it .....Its a very nice saw and runs great .....:cheers: :cheers:

Im thinking its a better investment than the 2153 ..........

Last edited:

Again .....Have you run one ........I dont think there is a need for the saws you own because you dont run any of them.....Seems all the people that demo'd a 420 liked it .....Its a very nice saw and runs great .....:cheers: :cheers:

Im thinking its a better investment than the 2153 ..........

Niko and Steve,

What's a few ounces amoung friends?

Party on,

Joat

Brad & Niko

If you guys would put hour hands where your mouth's are you probably would change your opinion. Unlike you guys most people that buy this class saw want to actually CUT FIREWOOD not spruce limbs or timed cookies out of a 8 x 8 cant. For the money its a great little professional quality (mag cases) saw. The reason I tried the 18" .325 .058 combo is alot of my customers have lots of 21lp 18" loops hanging from older 111's and PS540's that they want to have use for when they bought their PS5100's wearing 3/8" they don't want to use the .325 on them....... So not this PS420 will be able to use the 21lp 64 or 72 driver loops they already have. To me this saw reminds me of the old Sachs Dolmar 109/110 but in a more compact frame.

Scott

Latest posts

Back