Dolmar PS420 after some use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys would put hour hands where your mouth's are you probably would change your opinion. Unlike you guys most people that buy this class saw want to actually CUT FIREWOOD not spruce limbs or timed cookies out of a 8 x 8 cant. For the money its a great little professional quality (mag cases) saw. The reason I tried the 18" .325 .058 combo is alot of my customers have lots of 21lp 18" loops hanging from older 111's and PS540's that they want to have use for when they bought their PS5100's wearing 3/8" they don't want to use the .325 on them....... So not this PS420 will be able to use the 21lp 64 or 72 driver loops they already have. To me this saw reminds me of the old Sachs Dolmar 109/110 but in a more compact frame.

Scott

Aren't they aluminum cases, or am I thinking of a different saw?

I would surely try a 420 over the new Husky 440's, but I already have a 2141 that I love. The 40cc saw class is great for the general firewood cutting. I got it last Christmas and I think I used it more than my 2171 this year.

It sure wont stop a train with all that non torque ...420 seems to have way more torque ....

The 361 doesn't cure cancer either, and the 2171 won't cut redwoods in 15 seconds either.

I am guessing that the 2153 and the 420 are built for different markets. The 2153 is for a good limbing saw for a professional, while the 420 has a more broad torque range for the homeowner. Just my thoughts though. A high revving saw isn't going to make it's power at lower rpms and have tons of torque.

Last edited:
Aren't they aluminum cases, or am I thinking of a different saw?

I would surely try a 420 over the new Husky 440's, but I already have a 2141 that I love. The 40cc saw class is great for the general firewood cutting. I got it last Christmas and I think I used it more than my 2171 this year.

only the PS460 and PS510 use aluminum the rest use mag

Scott

If you guys would put hour hands where your mouth's are you probably would change your opinion. Unlike you guys most people that buy this class saw want to actually CUT FIREWOOD not spruce limbs or timed cookies out of a 8 x 8 cant. For the money its a great little professional quality (mag cases) saw. The reason I tried the 18" .325 .058 combo is alot of my customers have lots of 21lp 18" loops hanging from older 111's and PS540's that they want to have use for when they bought their PS5100's wearing 3/8" they don't want to use the .325 on them....... So not this PS420 will be able to use the 21lp 64 or 72 driver loops they already have. To me this saw reminds me of the old Sachs Dolmar 109/110 but in a more compact frame.

Scott

If it's that strong straight out of the box, then it might be a good option for someone that just wants to buy a saw and run it. I still don't understand why you'd want to run a saw as heavy as a significantly more powerful one and have less. Maybe it's a price point thing. My situation is different from many in that I can have a 9 lb saw that outcuts a MS200 for about $250 new. BTW, what do these sell for? I still stand by my point that a 35-40cc saw should weigh no more than 9.5 lbs or you might as well have a 50cc saw. That's the only reason to have one.

Last edited:
If it's that strong straight out of the box, then it might be a good option for someone that just wants to buy a saw and run it. I still don't understand why you'd want to run a saw as heavy as a significantly more powerful one and have less. Maybe it's a price point thing. My situation is different from many in that I can have a 9 lb saw that outcuts a MS200 for about $250 new. BTW, what do these sell for? I still stand by my point that a 35-40cc saw should weigh no more than 9.5 lbs or you might as well have a 50cc saw. That's the only reason to have one.

get back to me AFTER you actually use one, and sells for under 3 bills

Scott

Last edited:
You have to try one! Why buy a ms250 or a 290? Heavy saws and not that much power but they are popular! 455 husky same thing!

get back to me AFTER you actually use one, and sells for under 3 bills
Scott
Brad buy one and port it ........
If the 420 were lighter I likely would buy one and check it out. I'm not saying the 420 is not a good saw, I'm just saying it's too heavy. After mods, the Redmax 3800 significantly outcuts a MS200 and only weighs a few ounces over 9 lbs. That's all. It has a vertically split mag case, pro style build as well. We're not talking about a couple ounces here. We're talking about 1.25-1.5 lbs heavier. That's a lot in this size of saw.

Last edited:
I just looked, my 2141 is the same weight as the 420. If that little saw weighs too much to cut with, start lifting some weights. I can carry that saw all day long. It is also the same hp as the 420.

It's not too heavy to cut with. It's too heavy for its CCs.

Well if the other 40cc saws in its class are the same weight, isn't it right on par with it's competitors. Let's be honest too, the Redmax is not a real competitor. The Husky 340/440 and the Stihl 230 are the real competitors and it weighs roughly the same as those.

The 3800 redmax is gone anyhow! They are still selling off of old stock! The 4000 has replaced it!

Why am I responding to this thread like I am? I've recently been looking for the best value in a 35-40cc sized saw. I really liked my MS180 but wanted a saw of at least equal power, with better pro-style build quality, and no more weight. I looked at Dolmar and only the 401 was close in weight. I tried one. It's very well built. It's very torquey but much slower. The 420 is more than a pound heavier so I did not consider it. Frankly, I was quite disappointed to find the 401 replacement did not fit the criteria. They make a great professional saw. Again, if a saw's going to weigh that much, it ought to be a 50cc saw, period. In no way am I saying it's not a good saw. I'm sure it is. I'm not trying to kill sales on the 420. I'm just pointing out that it should have been designed lighter as other saws in it's class. One can only hope the manufacture will listen. If we don't say anything, how will they know?

windthrown, I tried both 3/8 low pro and .325 chisel on my 401. The.325 chisel out preformed 3/8 low pro by a bunch. The 420 should do even better with .325 chisel.
Brad have you considered the Efco MT4000 or the Solo 642 in your search or have you settled on the Redmax. I follow your search with great interest because I use my 401 a great deal and am always looking for better performance.
One post said the 420 ready to cut was 14lbs!!!! I weighed my 401,16inch .325 bar, full of fluids at 11.5lbs. 2.5 lbs is to much even if the 420 has nice features.

The 3800 redmax is gone anyhow! They are still selling off of old stock! The 4000 has replaced it!
I'm afraid this is the trend of the future as 2010 draws near.

Brad your starting to sound just like Troll......Better stop running older saws your getting to wimpy now ....Go back to your wildthingy ...:) :)

I know, I know. That's scary isn't it:). And I'll never own a WT! That sure doesn't meat the quality I'm looking for.

I have to agree and disagree with Brad on this.:) Lightweight is really important on a relatively low powered saw. When you consider build quality, the real contenders here are Stihl MS200(rear handle), Husqvarna 339XP(per Troll, has mag cases) Dolmar/Makita 401(now discontinued):cry: and the Redmax 3800(also discontinued).

Brad, didn't you only do a muffler mod on the PS-401? And didn't you also say the Redmax was a disappointment until you ported it?....just trying to keep things in perspective.

What is the true weight of the Dolmar 420? I'm NOT trying to knock it here, but just want to know. If it really weighs almost 10#, I might as well use my 026 because I wouldn't be able to notice the difference in weight, but I prefer my Husqvarna 353 over the 026, and the 346xp weighs the same as the 353 but has MORE.....the point is what Brad said, if it is noticeably less powerful, it needs to be noticeably lighter (for us nitpickers).:)

Latest posts

Back