Dolmar PS420 after some use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree and disagree with Brad on this.:) Lightweight is really important on a relatively low powered saw. When you consider build quality, the real contenders here are Stihl MS200(rear handle), Husqvarna 339XP(per Troll, has mag cases) Dolmar/Makita 401(now discontinued):cry: and the Redmax 3800(also discontinued).

Brad, didn't you only do a muffler mod on the PS-401? And didn't you also say the Redmax was a disappointment until you ported it?....just trying to keep things in perspective.

What is the true weight of the Dolmar 420? I'm NOT trying to knock it here, but just want to know. If it really weighs almost 10#, I might as well use my 026 because I wouldn't be able to notice the difference in weight, but I prefer my Husqvarna 353 over the 026, and the 346xp weighs the same as the 353 but has MORE.....the point is what Brad said, if it is noticeably less powerful, it needs to be noticeably lighter (for us nitpickers).:)

noticeably less powerful than a 346NE...... Seems to have the Torque that the NE is missing ...42cc vs 50cc.....Hmmmm

Whats the price on the 339 ???

Last edited:
I have to agree and disagree with Brad on this.:) Lightweight is really important on a relatively low powered saw. When you consider build quality, the real contenders here are Stihl MS200(rear handle), Husqvarna 339XP(per Troll, has mag cases) Dolmar/Makita 401(now discontinued):cry: and the Redmax 3800(also discontinued).

Brad, didn't you only do a muffler mod on the PS-401? And didn't you also say the Redmax was a disappointment until you ported it?....just trying to keep things in perspective.

What is the true weight of the Dolmar 420? I'm NOT trying to knock it here, but just want to know. If it really weighs almost 10#, I might as well use my 026 because I wouldn't be able to notice the difference in weight, but I prefer my Husqvarna 353 over the 026, and the 346xp weighs the same as the 353 but has MORE.....the point is what Brad said, if it is noticeably less powerful, it needs to be noticeably lighter (for us nitpickers).:)

I see what your saying, but isn't there a baseline of what a saw can weigh? I mean you really can't have a 5 pound saw. The saws weigh between 10 and 11 pounds. So it weighs almost as much as a 260, what is the price difference? I would carry around an extra pound if it saves me a couple hundred dollars. Weight is not the critical point for many people buying a saw, the price and power is. If you can afford a 40cc saw, then the 420 sounds like a good option.

I see what your saying, but isn't there a baseline of what a saw can weigh? I mean you really can't have a 5 pound saw. The saws weigh between 10 and 11 pounds. So it weighs almost as much as a 260, what is the price difference? I would carry around an extra pound if it saves me a couple hundred dollars. Weight is not the critical point for many people buying a saw, the price and power is. If you can afford a 40cc saw, then the 420 sounds like a good option.

The 420 is alot more saw than the MS230 and has more Pro saw features ..

Yes I only did a muffler mod on the 401. I decided not to port it since the design was of a older generation not designed to run as fast as more modern saws. That's not to say it would'nt, but that I was starting with a saw already behind the curve. Perhaps that decision was a mistake.

Yes, the 3800 was a total dog stock. Probably the weakest saw I've ever run. Once the muffler and ports were opened up, it just came to life in a big way. If you recall, the muffler was not properly modded before the port work, so I don't know what it would run like with just a muffler mod. I will find out with this next one I've got.

No doubt about that. There is nothing pro about a MS250 and down. They're all clam shell engines, flat steel rods, and much more difficult to work on. That's not to say that they don't stand up to use, but they are not of the same quality as these Dolmars.

I have to agree with Sawtroll. The only reason to use a small saw is because it's lighter and more nimble. I haven't even considered the 420 as an option in my search for the best small saw because of it's weight. It weighs as much as a MS260! It's only 9-10 oz lighter than a 5100! I don't see it's purpose other than a price point. If I'm going to step down to a 35-40cc size saw, it's going to have to weigh 1-1 1/2 lbs less than the 420 or you might as well pick up your 50cc saw.

Weight difference is actually over 2lbs (compared to a 5100s), with bars, both saws partially filled.

Hi All I just thought Id refresh you about the New from DOLMAR PS420 this saw is a hit.... and all I can say is WOW this saw holds it own...
I really wish it would come through USA distribution wearing .325" Like its european counterpart instead of the lo pro 3/8"
Scott

Scott;
Are you running the cat exhaust, or have you swapped it out -- and with what?

04Ultra drilled his out, but I'd like to take my cat muffler off and leave it on the shelf for when I sell the saw.

I haven't used mine much, but the first thing I did was trash the LP safety chain it came with and went with Bailey's Woodland Pro LP. BIG difference.
I removed the H limiter and I can't believe the RPMs this thing gets up to -- even with the stock cat exhaust.

I'm happy with it. :)

The MS192 is listed at 7.4#, the small Echos at 7.5#, the MS200 8.4#, Husqvarna 339XP 8.7# and the Dolmar/Makita 401s at 8.8#. Throw out the small Echos and MS192(not "pro construction") and Yes, there are saws lighter than 10#(powerhead). If you throw out the discontinued 401s and Redmax 3800, then the Dolmar 420 becomes a more palatable option.

Price difference? Dolmar 420 vs Husqvarna 339xp or MS260 is about 50% at $300 vs $450ish, so yes, and attractive alternative in current product.

Unfortunately, the EPA mandated regulations are forcing the manufacturers to alter their designs, and making the saws heavier. Buy the "good stuff" while you can still get it!

The MS192 is listed at 7.4#, the small Echos at 7.5#, the MS200 8.4#, Husqvarna 339XP 8.7# and the Dolmar/Makita 401s at 8.8#. Throw out the small Echos and MS192(not "pro construction") and Yes, there are saws lighter than 10#(powerhead). If you throw out the discontinued 401s and Redmax 3800, then the Dolmar 420 becomes a more palatable option.

Price difference? Dolmar 420 vs Husqvarna 339xp or MS260 is about 50% at $300 vs $450ish, so yes, and attractive alternative in current product.

Unfortunately, the EPA mandated regulations are forcing the manufacturers to alter their designs, and making the saws heavier. Buy the "good stuff" while you can still get it!

Good post.

420 sells for 280.00 here with tax .....take off sales tax 5%

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what the merger between Echo and Shindaiwa(?) brings. I recall a 25cc:dizzy: saw on their list of products, but I don't know who's design or what construction is of the new saws.

Likewise, it would be nice to hear some real feedback about the small Solo, Efco and whatever else is out there....or maybe not if distribution is that limited.

Likewise, it would be nice to hear some real feedback about the small Solo, Efco and whatever else is out there....or maybe not if distribution is that limited.

I'm looking for feedback for the Efco MT4000 and Solo 642 in my other thread if anyone knows about them. I'd like to try any pro-constructed 35-40cc saw that's 9.5 lbs or less.

Echo has the cs400 which is fairly new and a new cs450 coming out! shindaiwa is getting some echo saws in there line but not sure which models yet! I suspect a 330 400 and 450 probably maybe the new 600!

:arg:

Scott,
Sorry to hijack your thread about the 420....whenever new products hit the market, its only natural to compare to existing and past products. It sounds like a great saw, but I'm lamenting the loss of some of the discontinued models. The exchanges got pretty lively this morning.:)

Its also good to see some folks touting the virtues of Dolmar:spam: , and not just the other two, bigger brands. I wish there were were more Dolmar dealers.

I think some of ya have sucked way too many wood chips into your cranium. Pissing and moaning about a 1lb here or there.... Touting the virtues of the high dollar 50cc saws that weigh close to the 420 in weight but cost damn near twice as much and claim you can't see why anyone would want one. :dizzy:

What world do you gentlemen live in?.... Evidently only in the world of AS and paper specs.

BTW.....I don't have a 420 but checked it out thoroughly and it's a damn fine saw for the money. Also, owning a 5100 and comparing the 420 and 5100 at the dealer, there is no way there is only 10oz +/- difference in weight between those two saws. I don't care what they say on paper, it BS......I also own a 401 and compared it to the 420 at the same time and didn't see that big of difference in weight/size/balance etc......Unless of course you're a little grade school girl, than maybe you would notice such a difference.

I heard a saying before: "Back when men were made of steel and ships were made of wood" That's all I can think of, when listening to these weight arguments over a 10lb saw and rightly so. :givebeer:

windthrown, I tried both 3/8 low pro and .325 chisel on my 401. The.325 chisel out preformed 3/8 low pro by a bunch. The 420 should do even better with .325 chisel.

One, I use semi-chisel, as full chisel dulls too fast in my cutting (downed limbs, cutting trees and limbs to feed the chipper, scavaging firewood in slash piles, cutting in crud). So for me the speed of the cut is not an issue as much as the lasting edge of the cutters. Two, is that I have several .325 bars and chains for my 025 and 250 pair, and I hate using them. They wander and pinch in the cut, the kerf is too fat, and I have timed cuts to see that the 3/8 low profile (picco) is faster and easier to cut with than .325. There is no NK B&C in the Stihl .325 baby saw sizes (or the larger saws).

I have to agree with Brad though; may as well gat a Stihl 026/260 for the weight vs power of all these smaller saws. As for Dolmar, the real issue for me here is the availability. I called all 8 Dolmar dealers listed on their site in the PDX/VAN metro area, and of the 4 that actually sold Dolmar saws, NONE had the Dolmar 5100s, or the 420, or the 350. I mean, it would be nice to see one of the little beasties. Certain persons out there in certain places offered to supply me with a Dolmar 420 saw by mail, but certain other Dolmar dealers out there have since turned in said persons into Dolmar, and hence they have been shut down as Dolmar dealers. :cry:

So in the end, it is a non-issue. Dolmar will fail as a chainsaw supplier in my view. If we cannot actually buy the saws in several major regions of the US, they may as well not exist. If they do not exist, they are not an option. So wake up Dolmar: either supply the saws, or get out of the US (again).

Way more pro features on the 420. I would not consider any Stihl 1123 saw a pro saw. I am beating mine to death and really really really want a pro light weight saw that is available here, and with an inboard clutch! :monkey:

So it looks like another 026 for me. :chainsaw:

Back