026 Carburetor Rebuild - The Saga Continues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, none of my dealers had either the woodruff key or a set of oil seals for my 026... Fortunately, I counted in this and have two new seals that will be here Monday. As for the woodruff key, found one very similar at the hardware store. It may stick out a but too far, but that's nothing I can't fix with one if my grinders. Even if it doesn't work, I've got the right one on order in case this goes south. So I should be set. Found a set of new piston rings, with piston, jug, air filter, and a few other odds and ins. Gonna redo this thing from top to bottom eventually. I want this to be my everyday saw or at least someone's everyday saw for years to come. Thanks for all the help and inspiration guys , it means a lot.

Well, none of my dealers had either the woodruff key or a set of oil seals for my 026... Fortunately, I counted in this and have two new seals that will be here Monday. As for the woodruff key, found one very similar at the hardware store. It may stick out a but too far, but that's nothing I can't fix with one if my grinders. Even if it doesn't work, I've got the right one on order in case this goes south. So I should be set. Found a set of new piston rings, with piston, jug, air filter, and a few other odds and ins. Gonna redo this thing from top to bottom eventually. I want this to be my everyday saw or at least someone's everyday saw for years to come. Thanks for all the help and inspiration guys , it means a lot.
Your like I am! A project that defeats cost

With 5 other saws to use, why is it so important to get this 026 fixed that you feel it necessary to double order the necessary parts to repair it ?
Six other saws, mind you! Haha! I can't wait, and I'm sure I'll use these parts down the road. So far, I think the only thing I've doubled down on was a brand new carb, beacause I thought that was problem and it may be to a certain extent and an extra key, which was $0.43. I think I'm doing alright. If I ever decide to flip this saw, it will easily pay for it's parts and then some. You have to remember, my acquisition cost for this saw was $0. Maybe that will clear this question up. Oh and none of my other saws run like this one.

Well, I got the saw to at least fire with that hardware store woodruff key. Once my oil seals come in, I imagine I'll have a runner, barring any unforeseen occurrence. I still want to replace this woodruff key because I had to grind it down quite a ways to fit and it's not a perfect fit like the Stihl key will be, but at least I got to test my saw for now.

Well, I got the saw to at least fire with that hardware store woodruff key. Once my oil seals come in, I imagine I'll have a runner, barring any unforeseen occurrence. I still want to replace this woodruff key because I had to grind it down quite a ways to fit and it's not a perfect fit like the Stihl key will be, but at least I got to test my saw for now.
r u gonna advance the timing?

Remember, the key is only there to locate the flywheel. You can actually run the saw without one. Make sure the taper inside the flywheel is clean as well as the taper on the shaft. Perfectly clean.
I had a 019T that I did that with.. cleaned both surfaces and a coating of loctite still running like a champ to this day!

Yeah, a little Simple Green (or any other degreaser) and Loctite are indespensable tools for any mechanic. Great for anything that vibrates a lot like chainsaws or motorcycles.

Latest posts

Back