026 Carburetor Rebuild - The Saga Continues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to catch the boot now instead of later.

When you pressure test, how many pounds of pressure are you using?
Well, that's just it. I can't put any pressure on with my Mityvac it was leaking so fast. I had my intake and exhaust plugged, and they weren't leaking. Anyone ever experienced a saw with so big a leak they can't even put pressure on it? So it seems to be going out that boot as fast as I can pump it. Gonna put the new boot on tomorrow, and I'll put my new rings and cylinder and jug on Wednesday when I get my ring compressor. I got my new impulse line on and that was hard for some reason, even though I lubed it up with vasoline. Haha, I need a third hand for even the simplest stuff. My medicine gives me the shakes so that doesn't help. As for the offer for the brake band, I appreciate it, but I already ordered it for $6. Thanks though: you guys are great!

Well, that's just it. I can't put any pressure on with my Mityvac it was leaking so fast. I had my intake and exhaust plugged, and they weren't leaking. Anyone ever experienced a saw with so big a leak they can't even put pressure on it? So it seems to be going out that boot as fast as I can pump it. Gonna put the new boot on tomorrow, and I'll put my new rings and cylinder and jug on Wednesday when I get my ring compressor. I got my new impulse line on and that was hard for some reason, even though I lubed it up with vasoline. Haha, I need a third hand for even the simplest stuff. My medicine gives me the shakes so that doesn't help. As for the offer for the brake band, I appreciate it, but I already ordered it for $6. Thanks though: you guys are great!
Man u have worked hard at this one!! U will be proud of it when ur done! Plus learned alot along the way? How do u like that Mity Vac I recommened?

Man u have worked hard at this one! How do u like that Mity Vac I recommened?
I love it, Keith! Thanks for the recommendation. It has helped me find three leaks so far and counting, haha! I have had so many leaks I haven't seen it clear the zero box yet, is that common? I'm beginning to think this saw was thrown out on purpose, since so many leaks were found and it obviously was no where near working. But yes, the Mityvac had helped me locate via bubbles and hissing noises. An indespensable tool. As for the crank seal tool,.. I think I'll pass. I'll manage on my own till I have a bigger bank account.

Anyone had a pressure test experience similar to mine? Using my Mityvac, I can't even get pumped up to a numbered pressure on the gauge cuz my leak is so big on my intake boot... I thought I'd at least be able to build a little pressure but my leak must be a good one.

Anyone had a pressure test experience similar to mine? Using my Mityvac, I can't even get pumped up to a numbered pressure on the gauge cuz my leak is so big on my intake boot... I thought I'd at least be able to build a little pressure but my leak must be a good one.
Woodeneye, u need a constant air supply on it. I use a pneumatic blowgun with the trigger taped closed with a regulated air supply of 7 to 10 psi and u will find that big leak.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the 026 Woodeney. Brought back memories of the 024's I've done. This thread should be compulsory reading for newbs working on saws. Lots of thoughtful comments here.

Yes I did an 044 not long ago same as yours no vac or psi. some soap and water found two seals bad replace them and good to go them had pis and vac.

I have had saws come in with both seals totally gone and the intake boot torn open, the vac tool couldn`t hardly move the needle off zero. It takes about 20 mins to strip a 026 down, put in both seals and put it back together, add another 15 mins to replace the intake boot and impulse line. A light battery impact gun with a 5 - 6 " T27 bit speeds up removing and replacing the screws. A 1/2" impact to knock the clutch off.

I love it, Keith! Thanks for the recommendation. It has helped me find three leaks so far and counting, haha! I have had so many leaks I haven't seen it clear the zero box yet, is that common? I'm beginning to think this saw was thrown out on purpose, since so many leaks were found and it obviously was no where near working. But yes, the Mityvac had helped me locate via bubbles and hissing noises. An indespensable tool. As for the crank seal tool,.. I think I'll pass. I'll manage on my own till I have a bigger bank account.
Most pro saws r worth reviving! parts r inexpensive and u can find used cylinders and cases pretty inexpensive and do the work urself. The love of the hobby and gratification of doing it yourself will out weigh the cost and u have alota fine guys here on AS to help out.

I'd check to see why you don't have spark. Fire is a must before it will run. Just sayin..
It does have spark... A free spinning flywheel will even produce spark, so that's never been an issue. Anyways, thanks for the replies all. I would try that 10psi compressor test but I've already got it torn down to exposing the piston and have the jug off. My new jug has a decompression valve in it, so this saw is gonna be one step away from an 026 pro, minus the adjustable oiler, which is something I just don't need. I do like the idea of a decompression valve though. Easier restarting is always welcome. Guess I'll have to drill a hole in the shroud. I noticed old piston has a slight dimple on the top of it and very light scoring on the carb side only on just a small portion. Doesn't matter though, it's getting a new one anyway. That new shiny jug. Nikasil coated. I've got high expectations for this saw. Hopefully that boot and impulse line replacement solves all my leak problems. When I put the new jug down, should I use 51813 or permatex to seal it? Just curious.

Just use 518 straight or include the original gasket , too?
If not using the base gasket u will have to have cleareance between TDC and combustion chamber which they refer to as squish clearance. A safe clearance for the 026 would be .020 but maybe alil less but dont take my word on it but ask a more experienced guy to be sure. I dont think u have the clearance to run stock without a base gasket but if u do use either sealant with confidence

Okay, I just looked this up and I think you're right. The 518 I have should cure in absence of oxygen regardless and I want the same or close to it squish clearance.

Latest posts

Back