028 Oiler Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegaome

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

I 'm working on a 028 AV Super. Just cleaning her up first and found that at some point in time the nylon/plastic gears that drive the oil pump had melted. I cleaned the melted plastic off and the gears look like they will work but having the following problems. This saw looks tohave been converted from a spur to rim sprocket.

1. Gear on oil pump is riding high and starting to melt itself and the cover. I can see the splines showing on the gear on top and splines on the pump shaft on bottom. The gear is not on all the way but I'm afraid to use to much force. What can I do to get the gear on without breaking it?

2. On the back of the oil pump body there is a round plastic plug (it looks like) this plug moves fore and aft. Is this normal?

3. What kind of grease if any should I put on the gears?

v/r

Mike

Sounds like you need a new pump drive gear. The metal shaft (std on a Super) is not supposed to be showing though the plastic. It is just pressed on - put the gear and the shaft in a vice and squeeze gently.

If the gears had a problem you need to find out why or it will happpen again. Make sure the rotary gear inside the pump move very smoothly. Any binding and the gears will shear.

Grease? NONE.

Howdy Fellas'

First thank you for the replies. There was quite a bit of melted gear in there and the gears that were on it look usable. I believe the gears where replaced but they never cleaned the old plastic out (I could be wrong but I cans still see the writing on the gears).

The shaft on the pump can be lifted up about a quarter of an inch. Is it supposed to have that much play?

v/r

Mike

On my 028S the shaft will float back and forth if you pull on it, until the gears come into contact with the shaft seal. It takes a bit more force to get the shaft out of the oil pump. Are your gears in good shape?. If you rotate the clutch drum does everything turn smoothly? Is your cover warped or broken? Nothing should rub when it is all together and you rotate the drum...

Howdy Again Fellas'

I got her all back together, I thank you all. I did not know if you lift and rotate the pump gear backwards it spins right out. Sorry Fellas' I'm sorta new at this and things that may be common knowledge to you all, sometimes takes me a while to figure out.

I took the pump apart and cleaned it and also used a vise to press the gear on the shaft. It sets flush now. Everything spins pretty smooth. The cover and gear may infact need to be replaced in the future but I think they will work for now. I did a search last night and saw some pics of messed up 028 oil pump gears and covers, these ones are not that bad yet.

I really need to go mix up a fresh gallon and tune the carb and do some cutting before I declare victory on it. I did replace the fuel line and filter, impulse line, rim sprocket, spark plug and air filter.

About what RPMs should I be looking for on a tach for idle and wot?

Also with a new windsor chain on it you can hear/feel it dragging a bit. With the old Stihl chain its smooth. I marked the chain rivets and cutters with a marker and spun it around a few times, I could not find anyplace where the marker was rubbed off. Thats why I figure it was the sprocket and replaced it. Anyone ever have this happen?

v/r

Mike

Howdy Folks,

Well that chain draggen was stuck in my crawl. It just aint supposed to do that. So I marked the gears with a marker and put her back together and pulled the new chain around the bar a dozen times or so. Took back aprt and inspected for anyt marker rubbed off. Nothing the gears are spining good and aint draggen no where. They are blue now but I will clean them off.

I tried old sprokets and a few other things but no joy. I finally took the bar off my 028WB and put a new Stihl chain on it and now she is fine. Only normal drag you get from a well tensioned chain.

I compaired the two bars, the 18" sugi-hara and the 16" oregon. I was useing the sugi-hara bar first as it came with the saw the 16" oregon is off my Wood Boss. Any way the mount is the same, the only difference I could see was the tail end off the sugi-hara bar was thinner (width wise) than the oregon. Like it had been dressed a few times? I dont know for sure maybe thats how they make them.

Anyway thanks everyone for you time and input. I will mix up some fuel tomorrow and tune it.

Superfire, thanks for the parts offer. I still may need some and I have to go over my 028 WB. This 028 AVS is for my neighbor, so far I think it will make him a good saw.

v/r

Mike

Sounds like you need a new pump drive gear. The metal shaft (std on a Super) is not supposed to be showing though the plastic. It is just pressed on - put the gear and the shaft in a vice and squeeze gently.

If the gears had a problem you need to find out why or it will happpen again. Make sure the rotary gear inside the pump move very smoothly. Any binding and the gears will shear.

Grease? NONE.

Howdy Lakeside,

On this saw you can see the oil pump shaft on the top side of the gear. It does look like it got hot. On the bottom side of the cover that goes over all this is a raised double nipple (don't know the proper word) that looks like it fits into the top of the gear where the shaft is. Since I have never seen a good one I don't know what it should look like (Do you have a picture somewhere of a good gear?). Both parts have got hot it looks. It must of melted off the top of the gear to expose the shaft.

I will keep an eye on this and also tell my neighbor to as well.

I dont know what caused it to melt. The gear that was on it was not all the way on and it was sitting to high. I'm at least the third owner and its kind of old so no telling if the pump or gears where replaced before. I do like that it's pretty easy to work on, I hope it performs as well as other folks have said.

Have a good evening and thanks again.

v/r

Mike

Howdy Superfire,

Yup thats' what mine lok like too. I was hoping for a picture of a good gear. I may have worded my post wrong, sorry.

Thanks and good evening.

v/r

Mike

good job

congrats on the saw overhaul. now you are officially a saw tweaker,next step too be a hack is to modify a saw:laugh: cheers mate:chainsawguy:

Back