034?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msing

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up a Stihl 034 is this saw considered a homeowner saw or a pro saw? Not that its a big deal either way. And any one know the H.P. rating on it.

msing said:
Just picked up a Stihl 034 is this saw considered a homeowner saw or a pro saw? Not that its a big deal either way. And any one know the H.P. rating on it.

That would be a metal body saw and considered a pro. HP is around 4, maybe a bit more, not sure exactly. 034 was replaced by the 036 and both are good saws. How much did you pay for it? I ask because a real nice 034 brings a good penny...

It's the "lower" version of a pro saw... Mainly marketing, but it does have some differences.

The cylinder lacks a heat shield, the top shroud is flimsy, the muffler is front vented and not as free flowing as the 036, the flywheel lacks the center steel insert (some later version had this as standard though), the recoil cover is plastic with different shrouding of the flywheel (some later 036's had the plastic cover also for a short time but was soon discontinued). and the crankcase doesn't have the cast-in steel support for the clutch side crank bearing.

So, not as "robust" as an 036 but holds up pretty well in usage. The 034S has the same cc as the 036, but uses a different cylinder. Some of the aforementioned 036 only parts made their way back into the 034S in the later years.

Its not a super cost me $140 Canadian it has a plastic clutch cover this made me think it isnt a pro saw. thanks for the replys.

msing said:
Its not a super cost me $140 Canadian it has a plastic clutch cover this made me think it isnt a pro saw. thanks for the replys.

For $CDN140, who cares!!! I can sell those all day long for $US300, assuming it's in decent shape. You did good... It's still 80% of an 036..

I have many hours behind 2 034 S,and 1 036 and several other saws.The 34 supers are very professional performers in power and reliability. A 20 inch bar and 3/8 pitch 7 tooth sprocket give me the best all round performance and comfort.

THALL10326 said:
... HP is around 4, maybe a bit more, not sure exactly. ..
You seem to be right, but there are some confution.
I have a German source that say 4.2 hp, and another one (US Stihl manual) that say 4.1 bhp/3.0 kW, which doesn't really add up.

3.0 kW should be 4.1 hp, not bhp.
Such inconsistensies are quite common in Stihl US service manuals.....:taped:

SteveH said:
I had an 034 for ten yr., loved it. Still have the manual, which says the 034 has 3.45 cu. in., the 034S has 61.5 cu. in. No Hp listed, but think I might've seen it recently on the Stihl web site.

61.5 cu. in. is the same as my 036 Pro.

I'd sure like a 61.5 CUBIC INCH saw in an 036 package.:rockn:

I think you mean 61.5cc.

Latest posts

Back