036 badly worn bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbajunk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been clearing out an old barn lately and found this attached to an 036. Its a .325-.063 20" bar which had a fairly new looking chain on it. The saw was on the shelf with about 40 other saws he had there, and covered in oil and sawdust so my take was that he was using it. The gas had turned but all it took was flushing the tank out and some clean gas and it started right up.
I've never seen a bar worn like this at the tip? The rear of the bar is decent. The wear is partially on the bar, partially on the tip.
My first impression was that maybe it was running with a chain with a few tight links but all the chains I found that fit it, good and bad had no seized links. It was well oiled, in fact the thing was a total grease ball. The entire saw, bar, chain, and shelf beneath it was covered in oil.

1121190940-01.jpg

Looks like it was used heavy handedly using mostly the tip with dull chain with no regard for flipping or dressing the bar in a very abrasive situation.
Or could simply be a cheap bar and all the above.

Its a Stihl bar, and it had what looked like a new chain on it.

Its a .325 .063 bar, I'm thinking of switching it to 3/8-.050 chain, since I have several rolls of Stihl chain in that size.
How do I know what size sprocket to buy? I see 7 and 8 tooth in 3/8" pitch.
The original sprocket says 325-7.

I've got a few good 24" bars here that will work on this meant for 3/8"-.050" chain.

Of course, I've got a few dozen .325 chains in 81 link too but I still have an 029 that uses that size.

Its a Stihl bar, and it had what looked like a new chain on it.

Its a .325 .063 bar, I'm thinking of switching it to 3/8-.050 chain, since I have several rolls of Stihl chain in that size.
How do I know what size sprocket to buy? I see 7 and 8 tooth in 3/8" pitch.
The original sprocket says 325-7.

I've got a few good 24" bars here that will work on this meant for 3/8"-.050" chain.

Of course, I've got a few dozen .325 chains in 81 link too but I still have an 029 that uses that size.
Welcome to AS @bubbajunk. If you switch to 3/8 a 7 tooth is what i would run. I run 20"/3/8 bars on my 036. I have run a 25" on it but it is a bit much for that saw IMO. I have a good shape .325 20" Stihl bar with a decent safety chain if your interested. I'm over in york co.

Not totally sure, but I think the 036 runs a standard size rim sprocket. Been a while since I’ve worked on one, a good pro saw btw.

The older 036s ran the mini spline, but there is a kit to convert them to the large spline. Any 036s that haven't been updated should be. The needle bearing has been known to fail, that's the reason for the kit.

The sprocket shows wear but its nothing like the bar has.
There's some surface wear around the outside but I've seen far worse still in use.
With the saw were a half dozen new looking Sabre chains loose in a bag.
The saw itself was a mess, likely never cleaned. Surprisingly it cleaned up pretty decent though.
I was expecting the orange plastic to be permanently faded but after lots of scrubbing it came back about 90% of what it likely once was. It basically took plugging all openings and scrubbing it with degreaser to get it to this point. Its got Excellent compression and almost no wear showing on the piston looking through the muffler.
I went over the plastic bits with the polish I use to clean plastic motorcycle windshields. The result was fantastic.

100_0448.JPG
100_0447.JPG
1124192012-03.jpg

Hey bubbajunk , what is the name of that plastic polish . Looks like it worked well .

I'm not really sure what the stuff is called, I bought it in a gallon jug about 25 years ago from a vendor at a motorcycle swap meet.
I've tried a dozen other brands since and nothing comes close. The original plastic jug cracked years ago so I transferred it into a jug from windshield washer fluid years ago. Its beige in color, very thin, and has no 'grit' feel in hand. It was being sold as windshield polish. The guy was a regular at swap meets back than but he was retirement age or better then.
I use it a lot to polish old plastic lenses on cars, it brings the plastic back to its original shine without removing a lot of material. On plexiglass wind screens, it would remove the yellow haze from UV exposure and polish out scratches. I'm down to the last 1/4 of the jug now, and have been looking for a replacement but the closest I've found is 3M clear coat polish that's sold to body shops. I don't think they market it on a retail level. It works but it takes twice as long and doesn't do much to restore color like the motorcycle polish does.

Looks like it cleaned up nice!!:clap: @bubbajunk. Did you pull the cover off the chain brake mechanism? They get really cruddy behind that cover.

I pulled the clutch, surrounding cover, and blade guides and scrubbed it all clean. It was packed solid with wet sawdust. Even the clutch was packed inside. After seeing the bar I wanted to make sure the oil pump was working. The saw dust was packed up to the point where the bottom of the cover was blocked, it couldn't get out and was just getting wetter, and packing tighter by the looks of it. Somehow its all working fine.

You sure made a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Excellent job! A go to saw for sure.
How’s the spark arrestor?

The exhaust is decent, the spark arrestor looks good.

I just have to decide what to do for a bar and chain. I ordered a 3/8"-7 tooth sprocket so I have that option, plus a new .325-8 for a spare.
I've got a new old Windsor 25" bar in 3/8"-.050 with a couple of new chains so that may be an option on this for a while.
However, the one thing on my mind is that I've got a box of new .325 81 tooth chains here that will likely last me a life time.
It may be to my advantage to find a .325 bar just so I can use those chains. Right now my only other 20" saw is an 029 with an .325/81 tooth chain, but the 036 will likely replace that saw.
I checked the compression on the 036 and got a max of 171 psi on three pulls, does that sound right? The thing is nearly impossible to pull though without the compression release. I checked it on a cold engine after working some marvel oil through the thing to make sure it wasn't dry. (It had been sitting for many years).
I pulled it with the plug out about 20 times after oiling it to make sure the oil wasn't adding to the compression reading.

Back