038AV super running rough need help quick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow the fuel. Vent open, new fuel hose and filter.clean the carburetor. Pay attention to the inlet screen, condition of diaphragms and inlet lever hieght. Put in fresh fuel. If there is still an issue move on to a vaccuum and pressure test. No test tools? Get some brake clean with a nozzle and spray around all rubber parts and seals while running. Any change will indicate a leak.
Good luck and report back.

yes it’s a crack in the front of the oil tank. I’ll attach a better picture. Would you fill it in with JB weld? Or just leave it as is?
OK my bad thought it was CC break. If it is leak you want to live with? JB might fix it, but better get all oil residue off first.

See if saw is worth a case.

I'm ~150 miles away in S Vt

Reporting back, I took both the 038 and my 026 and it was really the maiden voyage for both of them. The 026 way outperformed the 038 until it busted a AV buffer (it was already partially tore). I think the 038s lack of performance was largely due to my lack of experience in tuning and adjusting carbs. I’ll keep messing with it and see if I can get it to run stronger. I’m having trouble all over the board, not idling well, not smooth acceleration and not tons of power at full throttle. Is there any performance upgrades on a 038 that are essential?

Thanks guys for all the help so far

Reporting back, I took both the 038 and my 026 and it was really the maiden voyage for both of them. The 026 way outperformed the 038 until it busted a AV buffer (it was already partially tore). I think the 038s lack of performance was largely due to my lack of experience in tuning and adjusting carbs. I’ll keep messing with it and see if I can get it to run stronger. I’m having trouble all over the board, not idling well, not smooth acceleration and not tons of power at full throttle. Is there any performance upgrades on a 038 that are essential?

Thanks guys for all the help so far

Have you taken that muffler off yet and taken a look at the piston?

Mechanical condition first. I never use a compression tester. What's inside is more important.
Everything looked good from my knowledge. Again I’m not an expert. I was gonna check the vent hose next. It’s got a new fuel line new fuel filter and a new spark plug

For the Stihls I first set them by the manual, turn screws in then 3/4 out and then fine tune from there, adjust low mixture then high, saw should be at operating temp.

Latest posts

Back