038M recoil free-wheels 10" before catching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When I bought my 038, I found the pulley pocket, where the pawl was mounted, to be hogged out. The pawl looked good.

I switched the pawl over to the unused pocket. Now, maybe half the time, the recoil free-wheels 10", or so, before catching.

Did I do something wrong while switching the pawl? Do I need a new pawl? Or....?

Thanks,

Roy20221202_130333.jpg20221202_130301.jpg20221202_130436.jpg

Might need a pawl and/or spring clip. My IPL shows two types of pawls and rotors, but no part # for the rotors, just a rotor kit for newer rotor/pawl. I don't have the service bulletins. change happened at ser# X 15 378 613

What does pawl do when you pull and release the starter rope with the housing off? Does the pawl move outward as soon as you pull the rope? If not suspect the spring/pawl.

Also I think it can be fitted with dual pawls using a 044/046 type spring clip?

1 038 starter.png

Might need a pawl and/or spring clip. My IPL shows two types of pawls and rotors, but no part # for the rotors, just a rotor kit for newer rotor/pawl. I don't have the service bulletins. change happened at ser# X 15 378 613

What does pawl do when you pull and release the starter rope with the housing off? Does the pawl move outward as soon as you pull the rope? If not suspect the spring/pawl.

Also I think it can be fitted with dual pawls using a 044/046 type spring clip?

View attachment 1036970
You are correct, dual pawls can be installed in the 038 rope pulley. I’ve done it on both of mine. Did the same on my 026 and MS250 as well.

I think the washer I have is the correctly-thin one: .51mm

But, I now see the clip is quite worn where it contacts the stud. I'll get a new one with my next Stihl parts order.

I will report back.

Thanks, all.

Roy

Back