041 farm boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradma74

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. New to the site but have lurked around here for a bit. I was recently broke into and my 044 and 028 were stolen. So I ran down to my local barber shop which had an old 041 farmboss for sale. I bought it too replace my other saws to get my thru winter. It's a great old saw. Looks brand new. The problem is not enough power. Use to my 044. Any mods I can do to help the performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Love this site

Muffler fairly unrestricted, I reringed mine then removed the cyl base gasket, it will pull a 24" ok but does better with the 20"

Thanks. Was hoping mayb a quick muffler mod or something. It is an old saw. But a good one. Plenty of torque just a little slower chain speed

I did the muffler on my non-Av 41 as well as the gasket and it ran strong, worth a try. yeah love the old saws, mine can sit for weeks and still lights up with a few pulls.

Did you just drill some holes in your muffler? I've never had this one off. Just fired it up and cut a load with it. I do love er tho

No the baffle inside was loose so I cut it open then removed it, then I cut about 1.5" of a 3/4" thinwall tube and welded it in at a angle. If u want pics ill take one and post

My wife and kids felt bad for me losing my saws so they bought me a little husky 240. Now it's by far not the saw I would've bought but it's the thought that counts. So I'm gonna go out and see what kind of hill billy mods I can't do too it while doing my 041. Any suggestions?

240 will still cut wood, if you cut where there isn't any fire hazard then pull the spark arrestor screen, check your plug after you run it a bit, a chocolate color is good but it will likely be really light gray or tan, newer saws are set lean, hopefully you can open a high speed needle a little on the carb, never worked on the 240 though so this is general information. Keep chains sharp will benefit mostly

Thanks. Yeah the carb setting was way off when I got it. Tuned it, may drill a couple holes in the muffler too. Never thought about leaving the arrestor out. Thanks. The wife and kids don't know it but I'm going tomorrow to my Stihl shop and buy me a new toy. Can never have too many saws. Thanks a bunch

Yeah I'm always looking for the next project and addition to my collection, Stahl just advertised the ms250 really reasonable, not a "pro" saw but had one and they will run! Light and 50cc saw, imo 50cc is the perfect firewood saw unless you cut larger trees, my 024 and 034 super are my #1's

Yeah I have a 250 but it was loaned to my in law who doesn't know fuel mixtures so needless to say it needs a piston. Hey thanx on the farmboss muffler mod. I just finished it up. Next step will be the base gasket. Oh yeah the little 240 is a pretty descent little saw. Tuned the carb a bit and had too play with her for a bit ave was really surprised with er. But I'm still going to the Stihl dealer in the morning. Thanx again for all your info.

Yeah I can really tell a difference with that muffler on the 041 Still not my 044 but was a noticeable increase. Thanks. I'll post pics after I get back from the saw shop.

Latest posts

Back