041G - A saw I thought I might never own.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a little slow on the uptake here on this thread Brad - congratulations on finding one of these little geardrives - not very common at all. It is an interesting topic regarding the gear driven saw market: Stihl had some offerings, however the market seemed to be dominated by the US products of Homelite and McCulloch.

I am looking forward to seeing the rebuild of this one - another rare bird.

Regards,

Chris.

Nice Find Brad

The only thing you forgot in your list is the new crank seal in the oil pump drive

Looking forward to watching the teardown and rebuild of this one

Mike

I used 5 mm longer cheese head screws and that helped with them backing out from vibration. Also found longer carb studs. The case becomes worn and there isn't enough interference fit between the fastner and case . Locktite is a must. This was on a 041S.

here's one brad. will be in the stable soon.
attachment.php

I finally got around to working on this 041G. I tore it all the way down and did a LOT of scrubbing! It's about ready for sanding and painting. It's going back together with all new bearings, seals, and gaskets. It's also getting new Caber rings. The P&C are pretty much perfect. There doesn't even appear to be any measurable skirt wear. The worst is over. I hate cleaning up old saws. Now the fun part, making it purdy and putting it back together.

IMG_0038-M.jpg

IMG_0040-M.jpg

I bought this one, having no idea that I'd buy a nicer one shortly there after. So, initially, I planned to make it cherry. Then, after getting the nicer second one, I decided to just flip this one. But, as always when I do a full rebuild, I don't know where to stop, and I end up wanting to keep it. That's where I am right now. I had decided to just giving it a nice paint job, but now think I might still PC it. Either way, it's going to be hard for me to sell. As Rob mentioned, this one could be a shelf queen and the other a nice GTG only saw. What's a guy supposed to do with both OCD and CAD?:)

Latest posts

Back