046 poly flywheel on an 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot comment on " holding up" as I hadn't done anything with the saw after my last post. My other saws were stolen at that time, and that kinda took the wind out of my sails as far as chainsaws. Getting a new post on this thread renewed my motivation. So...

The poly flywheel fires sooner than the 064 cast flywheel by roughly a "key's width" (crank key). This means that the poly flywheel needs to rotate clockwise. I filed the flywheel's keyway to do so.

TIMIMG:
I decided to warm the saw up with the 064 starter/ flywheel, and then rapidly swap to the custom starter/ poly flywheel. I wanted the idle speed to remain unchanged.

Once I was satisfied with my timing, I adjusted the carb for the lighter flywheel. High speed didn't really change, but the low needed to be leaned out in order to regain snappy throttle response. It revs way more quickly with the poly flywheel! But with the low speed that lean, it will not idle.
Time for an idle circuit correction? Devil's in the details. ;)

Latest posts

Back