048AV miss represented...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjcc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I found this saw at a local auction house in Minnesota by their online bidding website:

u5e2ejyv.jpg

I thought it looked ok and I've been on the hunt for a 70cc saw, so I decided to go check it out and here is what I found:

ygajy4ym.jpg

ehutatu2.jpg

It doesn't look that bad...except the muffler cover was missing. The lady had no idea there was even supposed to be one on there and the pic from the auction doesn't show it. I pointed this out to her and she said she will fix it. Can't imagine how mad I'd be if I bought it and they failed to mention missing parts.

The next bid on the saw is $162 and I can post a link if anybody is interested. It started on the third pull, but died as soon as it reached idle. Compression seemed good, but finding that cover at a good price would be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kinda have a soft spot for the turtle shell look.. And, fuel and oil fill together might be interesting..... LOL!

Yeah, I wish parts weren't so expensive. I looked up that muffler and its all over the board, 45-120 depending on oem/used/aftermarket

Did you find a good place to get parts? I still don't think it's worth it at $160.

Ebay. I threw an aftermarket piston and coil in it. Found a muffler through a personal contact and I am now just waiting on a carb kit and a oil pump drive gear (also got from ebay). I personally have a couple of very good sources for used parts for saws that you won't get me to reveal. I don't find ebay to be too bad for parts as long as you didn't over pay for the saw to begin with. I do agree that $160 is a bit high for that saw in it's current condition.

Here is a picture I snapped of it tonight, before I left work, with my phone. Pay no attention the Box-O-Parts 028AV next to it.

I don't know..value..if it's your only saw and you need to cut wood very valuable.....to some folks in that condition might be worth that much....maby not. But as an act of preservation to end up with a complete functioning saw at 160.00 if you got it extra why not? If the top end is sound unless you get into the bottom end mabey not to much money to pour into it....But buyer beware it's a slippery slope when you start adding up the parts you need. But an interestering saw and if the engine is sound....make it complete and enjoy it. Better you than the trash can.

good luck
sap can

The saw sold for $235. No mention of the missing muffler, hopefully whoever won refuses to pay. Add the $50 or more for a muffler and you could have bought a much better used saw.

Back