07S, 08S, S-10 Family

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm finally completing my collection of this family of saws tomorrow. I found a rear handle S-10 on eBay right here in Cincy and am picking it up tomorrow afternoon. It's a complete saw that looks to be in fairly good condition. The rope won't pull but the guy said he was told the piston isn't seized and it ran just a couple of years ago. Reguardless, it's a complete saw and parts are readily available. The guy I'm getting it from bought it from the original owner who bought it in the 60s. Once I'm done with it, it should look nice setting on the shelf above my desk along with my 07S and 08S. Oh, did I mention I'm only paying $40?:) :)

367495850_mEptW-M.jpg
367495870_vYY6g-M.jpg

367495801_Khh4W-M.jpg
367495789_ytFpo-M.jpg

Congrats Brad. That was a good find. You have done a great job on the others. It will be neat to see all of them together finished and lookin pretty.

Brad you ever think about restoring saws for other people? You do really nice work.

Restoring a saw like that is a labor of love. There is no way I could make money at it. The amount of time involved can be rediculous. No one would be willing to pay what it would be worth. I really appreciate the kind words though. I'll pass along whatever info I have though to help you do your own. It wouldn't be half as much fun owning all these saws if I hadn't built them myself.

I picked up the S10 this afternoon. The guy said it ran a couple years ago and that a mechanic said the piston wasn't stuck. Yeah right! The piston rings had rusted so much that the rings were stuck as well as the piston. I had no problem removing the piston and the cylinder honed up nicely. I soaked the piston in Kroil trying to get the rings out. I broke the bottom one but was able to get the top one out safely. Hey, why not put this thing back together like one of those cheap Huskys. They only have one ring. So that's what I did. I happened to have a gasket kit for the saw from when I did my 08S. I split the cases so that I was able to properly clean up the bearings. New crank seals were installed as well. The diaphragms in the carb were ok so I cleaned and put it back together. Of course, everything got the dishwasher treatment. A few hours later, I hve a running S10! The throttle response was weak, so I pulled a compression test. Only 110 PSI hot. I guess I'm going back in with a new set of rings. But it was worth it though. The thing's all cleaned up and running the same day I got it. I couldn't believe I had the seals and gaskets I needed to get it all done. Unfortunately, I didn't measure the bore while I was in there. I don't know if I have a 44mm or 47mm piston. This thiing could easily be converted to a top handle like my 08S. They did make a top handle S10. The only other differences I noticed was the carb, muffler, choke linkage, and kill switch. Anyway, enough rambling. Here's some pics off the camcorder. I'm still waiting on my new Canon 40D.

Check out the price tag on it. $168.95. I wonder if that's from the original sale?
368752408_gV7Nt-M.jpg
368752387_RqHbL-M.jpg

368752404_dwQaz-M.jpg
368752738_HaeNJ-M.jpg

368753069_vQixi-M.jpg
368753130_ngMns-M.jpg

368753102_kbPRZ-M.jpg
368753222_PVxJa-M.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like new underneath. A well looked after example for sure. What don't you like about 2 pack paints Brad?

Back