084 parts needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I tripped into this beastie for less then a song,

But... it needs piston and cylinder and maybe some more stuff, like one of the AV mounts is hosed.

And its going to need a big big bar to go with its big big displacement.

All my usual haunts for saw parts are pretty much saying nope (baileys, treestuff, chainsawr.. )

Anyone gots some better leads or some NOS stuff laying around.

I can get new parts through my local dealer, but at dealer prices, I'm hoping for a deal here.

Really don't want to go down the chinesium route, so I'd prefer german/usa made stuff.

I'll take a used bar, and or av mount, but P+C have to be new and reputable.

20180202_142137[1].jpg

did the previous owner drag it down the logging roads behind his truck? lol look at the handle grips man, she's done some work. she's worth a jug cleanup and piston for sure if everything else checks out but unless you have a buddy with a new top end it's probably not a realistic option. i'm not discouraging the repair, but it's definitely a saw you don't want to sink much into. post a pic of the jug, it may be able to be cleaned up and that would be huge in justifying that repair.

Wondering why you need a new piston and cylinder? Is that just what you want or does it need it? Like wore through the plating bearing damage chipped plating? More often then not you can service the the jug and have a good running engine for the cost of your time and some sand paper. That saw looks awefully beat up and i wonder how it recieved that sort of damage or wear? I suppose it may have rubbed on something in its workbox or something.

It appears to have been at the bottom of a pile of saws, all the scratches are totslly from saw chain.

I could care less how a saw looks as long as it runs good.

Cylinder is scored, piston toasted, wanna say it looks straight gassed. But have no info on it. Its not totally roached, as the bearings feal fine.

Cleaning the cylinder may be all fine and good, but i havent had good luck with it, low compression when it does "work" or nothing at all when it don't.

This saw will be put to commercial use when running, and has to run reliably or it simply not worth dicking with.

I pulled the exhaust off yesterday, but buttoned it up until I get parts, as there is limited space and 3 or 4 saws in various states of disrepair on a bench that is only 6'x3'...

But I may make it out there later today.

I have a pile of jugs and dead pistons that I was considering making into a really crappy wind chime... by now though it'll probably just tear the eves off the house.

I do have a refurbished 064 jug, and maybe still have the wrong piston for it, (those may have gotten chucked into space though as I was not happy at all)

several 066/660 jugs, at least one 044 jug, a couple ts400 jugs (definitely roached on them though, ran without filters...)

New P+C ordered and on its way from the local dealer.
Still hoping someone has a long bar, and a anti vibe mount...

You will pay $284 for a p/c from Stihl, but won't pay $15 for the a/v mount?

More like $380 for P+C from stihl...

The AV mount is no longer available, hence hoping for used replacements.

If an 088 mount will work that could be worth pursuing... I aint afraid of no dremel.

Anyway pic of the AV mount rubber is torn, nevermind the bolt that should not be...

20180203_141425[1].jpg

The Cylinder from the 084,

You think you can fix it, cover shipping... its yours...

ill pay shipping cut the top off get it bored and re-plated at 62mm
pm sent - edit doesn't look like your account is set up to accept PMs, send me a message
Dave

Back