110 octane in my Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadred

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I was told at the dealer that I could run 110 octane in my new Husky 372XP. It was explained that the mixing oil actually reduces the octane a few points, so running the high octane "racing" fuel was actually beneficial. I was also told that the saw would run better and with more power and cooler as well. Does anyone have any experience running high octane "racing" fuel in their saws?

I've run Cam2 in mine before. I don't think it helps much, as you can't easily advance the timming on your saw to take full advantage of it. imo, save your money, and just run the 91 octane stuff.
Supposedly mixing oil doesn't lower octane, but try mixing some up, and lighting it with a match. It won't hardly burn.
-Ralph

The closest I've gotten is 100 octane avgas. Saw ran slower; I'm told that's due to a lower burn speed for avgas. However, it had more torque at that lower rpm. I don't know the actual rpm drop as I have no tach.

Adding oil definately lowers your octane. If you run a higher octane fuel you should advance your timing some. Some of the high octane race gas mixes are harmful to the fuel lines and other components of your saw. A friend ran some in his homelite and it melted the plastic fuel pickup line.

Run high quality gas from a reputable high volume refiner of 91 to 94 octane, that ensures your octane will remain above 89-90 after being mixed, which is really all that is required in your saw.

Some hi octane blends are made to burn faster some slower. When you buy a hi octane race fuel there are applacations each blend is best suited for. Even in race cars you can slow it down just by buying the wrong blend hi octane. I dont think you will hurt the saw but just because its 110 does not mean you are getting the best preformance out of your saw. You could very well be slowing the saw down if the blend is not right.

why bother? you aren't going to see any performance gain. Do a muffler modification, that will (when done correctly) show good gains. Running the smelly stuff just makes your wallet lighter. Besides, what does the manual say?

Its true it will not help the saw run any better. I have a friend that lives close by that gives me what he has left at the end of racing season and with that gas my saws will start first pull everytime. That is an improvement over our regular gas we get around here. I love the smell of burnt raceing fuel and fresh cut osage orange in the morning. :)

!00 octane LL avgas

I run 100LL av gas in my saws about 30-40% with regular 87 octane pump gas. Reason why is that av gas doesn't deteriorate like regular pump gas. It lasts a heck of a lot longer. Plus it raises the octane to about 91 with 40% av gas. My saws all seem to like it, even the old Homelites run good on it! For oil I use 32:1. 50% Mobil Racing 2T and 50% Stihl 2 cycle. The old Homelites get a little bit more oil. Hope this helps. Ohl I forgot I did try using 110 racing fuel 25% with 75% 87 octane. This also seemed to work fine being about just under 93 octane. But remember 100 LL contains a small amount of lead. 110 racing fuel does too, depending on what kind you get. I don't know if the lead is good or bad for chainsaws?

If you were to splash leaded fuel onto your skin, it is readily absorbed into the body.

I remember when I was a kid, i would use gas to remove grease from my hands.
That might explain all of my lesions and neurological disturbances.

I find that using any fuel over 108 octane{RON} can cause extensive piston
damage. With the higher octanes< the saw runs so cool that ice crystals form in
the exhaust port and gouge the piston> Of course this can be offset by the addition
of Margarita salt, but then that would cause the carb air/fuel mix to be off, opening
another can of mescal worms.

Just so you all know, we are approaching "sweeps week" here at Arboristsite, so you
will notice an increase in posts from me and Lambert, as we are the only two here that work on commission only. So our pay rate increase hinges on how much poop
we can stir up.
The pay is not that much, but who couldn't use another extra 20 K a year?

eric_271 said:
I dont know fish, that all sounds pretty neurological to me. And the part about the lesions, is that something we needed to hear about? :)

at least he didn't tell us where :dizzy:
-Ralph

I know I dont want to see that pic and I know lambert knows the rules on posting ???? and Fish I dont want to hear the story behind him haveing a picture of you holding your '' wild thing.'' :p

Fish said:
Lambert has a pic of me holding my "Wild Thing"

Well off to NC you go too, may be the strippers will appreciate your '' Wild thing'', as someone else posted here previously.

Fish just don't tell us where it went up to. :laugh: :)

begleytree said:
I've run Cam2 in mine before. I don't think it helps much, as you can't easily advance the timming on your saw to take full advantage of it. imo, save your money, and just run the 91 octane stuff.
Supposedly mixing oil doesn't lower octane, but try mixing some up, and lighting it with a match. It won't hardly burn.
-Ralph

Flammability/volatility and resistance to detonation (octane) are two completely different things. If there is any relationship, higher octane fuel is actually less voliatile in most cases.

Back