110 octane in my Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CNYCountry said:
Flammability/volatility and resistance to detonation (octane) are two completely different things. If there is any relationship, higher octane fuel is actually less voliatile in most cases.

I'll take your word for it, I never claimed to be a chemist. :)
-Ralph

A few years back I tried running Turbo Blue in my 020T. The octane rating was 106. The saw would not accelerate at all.

It was my understanding that the higher the octane the slower the burn rate. I thought that this was what caused the lack of quick acceleration that the lower octane gave.

At this point I don't know if that assumption was right or wrong!!!

rahtreelimbs said:
A few years back I tried running Turbo Blue in my 020T. The octane rating was 106. The saw would not accelerate at all.

It was my understanding that the higher the octane the slower the burn rate. I thought that this was what caused the lack of quick acceleration that the lower octane gave.

At this point I don't know if that assumption was right or wrong!!!

Yes, the two are loosely tied together. Octane is the measure of the fuel's ability to resist catching on fire from heat and pressure. The higher the octane, the more likely the event that catches it on fire is the spark, just like we intend. Because it's less likely to spontaneously combust with a higher octane number, it usually has qualities that make it burn a little slower also, although these things are not directly related there is a correspondence usually.

Today I mixed up a gal of 40:1 using 100LL avgas. Fired up the Jred and worked it for about 20 minutes. The results?

It is amazing how far the spark plug shot out of there! Missed me by inches... wow. Atleast it was a good story; fact is it worked well. Low setting is a touch rich, and I will turn it down eventually. Idle is smooth and steady. Revved up willingly, maybe better than on the other fuel. Avgas is lighter than auto gas, and will flow thru jets easier. Might richen things up a smirch. Power in the cut was maybe a tiny bit better, probably not worth the extra price.

However! watching the expressions on others when they see me pouring in the avgas will more than justify the expense. Now the genuine racing gas (110 octane) might be a benifit if the compression was increased and the timing advanced.

Patrick62 said:
It is amazing how far the spark plug shot out of there! Missed me by inches... wow. Atleast it was a good story; fact is it worked well.

Couldn't have worked too well if you blew the plug out. Reminds me of the time I was troubleshooting a clutch and thought it would be a good idea to leave the drum off. Soon as cranked up the saw all hell (and the shoes) broke loose. Scared the hell out of me. Took me a month to find all the parts.

Chris B.

Patrick62 said:
Today I mixed up a gal of 40:1 using 100LL avgas. Fired up the Jred and worked it for about 20 minutes. The results?

It is amazing how far the spark plug shot out of there! Missed me by inches... wow. Atleast it was a good story; fact is it worked well. Low setting is a touch rich, and I will turn it down eventually. Idle is smooth and steady. Revved up willingly, maybe better than on the other fuel. Avgas is lighter than auto gas, and will flow thru jets easier. Might richen things up a smirch. Power in the cut was maybe a tiny bit better, probably not worth the extra price.

However! watching the expressions on others when they see me pouring in the avgas will more than justify the expense. Now the genuine racing gas (110 octane) might be a benifit if the compression was increased and the timing advanced.

Lighter than autogas.....you are absolutely right, but what baffles me is that a lighter fuel has more energy in this comparison. But when you talk gasoline vs. diesel the diesel has more energy.

bvaught said:
Lighter than autogas.....you are absolutely right, but what baffles me is that a lighter fuel has more energy in this comparison. But when you talk gasoline vs. diesel the diesel has more energy.
Common misconception. Both hover around 19800 btu/lb . Propane is 21700 btu/lb. TNT (2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene) is only around 2100 btu/lb!!

Simonizer said:
Common misconception. Both hover around 19800 btu/lb . Propane is 21700 btu/lb. TNT (2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene) is only around 2100 btu/lb!!

Both of what... diesel and gasoline or car gas and avgas?

bvaught said:
Both of what... diesel and gasoline or car gas and avgas?
Sorry, I was referring to diesel and gasoline. Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline engines and hence the commom belief. Gasoline actually comes out slightly higher as a general rule regarding specific energy by about 3-5%. I thought the inverse was true for several years too, before studying organic chemistry. Cheers.

Simonizer said:
Sorry, I was referring to diesel and gasoline. Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline engines and hence the commom belief. Gasoline actually comes out slightly higher as a general rule regarding specific energy by about 3-5%. I thought the inverse was true for several years too, before studying organic chemistry. Cheers.

After a little research, I will have to agree with Simonizer, thats certainly a common misconception. But I also found that avgas definately has a higher energy content. Which leads me back to the same question, how does a lighter fuel contain more energy? I just seems counter-intuitive.

Simonizer said gasoline and diesel have the same energy per pound. One gallon of diesel weighs more than one gallon of gasoline; it's a denser fuel.

Guess I don't understand what you're saying or asking, DanMan?

A gallon of diesel weighs about a pound more than a gallon of gasoline and of course a gallon of diesel contains more energy than a gallon of gasoline. A pound of diesel will contain about the same energy as a pound of gasoline, but that pound of diesel will be less volume than one pound of gasoline. That's how I understand it, at least. Same for you?

Now, time for me to crack open a coldie as well. Hard day's work accomplished, dinner almost ready, beautiful girlfriend welcome me home with open arms. Ahh yes, life is good!

Latest posts

Back