1970's Stihl shop guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blel,,,,,,,As I understand it, two cycle outboard motor oil is designed to run in water cooled engines. Air cooled two cycles run hotter so they need an oil with a higher flash point.

Do you think this is a critical difference? I have used it in the past just to use up some oil.

I would stick with good name brand 2 cycle oil designed for saws. Um, but then I am really finicky about my mix!!! HaHa!

Do you think this is a critical difference? I have used it in the past just to use up some oil.

YES.

Why would you guinea pig a 1000$ saw to save a couple of bucks?

Go with an oil specifically designed for air-cooled 2-strokes,preferably synthetic.

It just doesn't cost that much,in the long run,when you THINK about it.

My .02

Golden Spectro is for dirt bikes both air and water cooled designs. Oil is good enough to run in a 6 thousand dollar bike I am sure it will not hurt a saw.

That may well be the case as I was responding to a poster that failed to see any problem with using OUTBOARD two cycle oil.....water cooled engines can utilize a lower flash point lubricant safely.

.... And No, I don't need any yellow saws,,,,,,oops! I take that back, I would take a nice older Partner in a heart beat. Those were nice saws. Were they made by Husky?

None of the older ones - but their current cutoff saws probably are.

Welcome to AS! :cheers:

Alright, no more oil stuff today for me!!! HaHa! That is one controvercial topic for sure.

Here's another true tale from my town. This one is about Leslie's son.

I guess I can tell this tale now, as old "Hadacall" passed away last month. Leslie's son was nicknamed "Hadacall" by a local who's nickname was "Bum". There was never a nickname for Leslie. I guess he was just too crazy so that a nickname didn't fit. Everyone had a nickname in my town back then. Most guys were known only by their nickname, and you had to think long and hard to remember their real names! Another one of Leslie's boys was nicknamed "Bughouse",,,,,,,,,get the idea of the caliber of this clan? I mean no disrespect to them. In fact I liked them all very much! But were they ever hilarious!

Well one day old "Hadacall" had driven the old pulp truck out East of town to pick up a load of pulpwood. He was as proud as all getout, because the 'Ol Man hardly ever let Haddi get out of his sight much less let him go anywhere alone with the pulp truck. Not that the truck was any prize! Leslie was known to keep the rattiest, most rusted hunk a junk truck in the county. It was one of those "TOW and GO" types of vehicles that was always broken down, leaked a big trail of oil all over the place, and on and on,,,,,,get the idea?

So 'ol Haddi loaded up the truck, the load was probably 12 feet wide with sticks of pulp sticking out all over the place. The loaded truck looked like a porcupine coming down the road. No nice neat looking loads for Haddi! Nobody would dare follow him for fear that they would get speared by a stick of pulp when it fell off the load!

Well ol' Haddi came barreling down the East road, dust and gravel flying everywhere, He comes cruising down into town past the cemetary where the houses started.

He notices people waving frantically at him, so he waves back and tromps down on the gas all the while bouncing up and down on the ratty seat as if he was riding a horse. HOOYAH! Ride 'em Cowboy!!!! Boy he was havin fun, everyone noticing him. He was attracting all kinds of attention!!!! Just the way he liked it!

He finally roared into where their house was (Right across from the CO-OP store and post office) when he noticed some cars come up and parked behind him. The irate drivers all got out and yelled at him saying why didn't you stop when we were waving at you? He just shrugged and said "I just thought I had lots of friends!" HaHa!

Turns out that he had left the boom of the truck up in the air (Not snuggled down on top of the load as is usual) and had cut each and every power and telephone line to the houses all the way through town!!!!!!!! It was like PLICK,,,PLICK,,,,PLICK as he roared through town!

I wonder how much Leslie payed for that little joy ride that Hadacall took????

Last edited:
Whatever....damn oil topics...I should know better....run monkey piss in your saw for all I care.:givebeer:

Hey, don't let my secret formula out of the bag, now everybody will want to use it, and the cost of monkey pith will skyrocket!:dizzy::greenchainsaw:

bobt, I am sure glad you found this online zoo. You are a riot! Thank you for sharing these great stories! I can almost see these clowns right in front of me when I read about them.
Cool that yer pop still heats with wood. I hope to be doing the same thing in 35 years.

Last edited:
Sorry to get everybody all p---ed off about the oil.. I just wasn't aware of the difference.
Thanks for the info.

Hey blel,,,,No Problemo!

Gotta be careful around here when talkin oil. These guys will send the "OIL POLICE" to your door, put you in handcuffs, and draw and quarter ya!!!!

HaHaHa!

Hey blel,,,,No Problemo!

Gotta be careful around here when talkin oil. These guys will send the "OIL POLICE" to your door, put you in handcuffs, and draw and quarter ya!!!!

HaHaHa!

Not necessarialy the Oil Police but Gary may read this thread and he will come down on ya! LOL.
Good to see you are still with us and posting often, bobt.
Pioneerguy600

Hey again to everyone who have enjoyed my stories so far!!!! I enjoy telling them!

I got another one. This time about someone else than Leslie and his clan.

My Mother worked for a local soda pop bottling plant as bookkeeper, receptionist, et all. We were good friends with the owners, and spent many, many days and nights at the owner's camp. I did occasional work for the owner when I was a teen, and this story is about one of those days.

The road to the camp was just a two rut road, and many times was only passable with a 4wd vehicle. He was working to improve the road and asked me to help him cut out a few large maples that shaded a large mud hole on the road. We would cut and haul the wood to camp for firewood. I said ok, and i met him at his house and drove him out to the camp.

Well, this guy's name was "Don" and he was another funny guy from my home town. He had a "reputation" but he was always good to me. He let me shoot all his guns, let me drive his old Willies jeep, and was fun to be around in general, but he liked his "bottle".

Well, I arrived at his house and he came out with a huge bag containing a half a dozen sandwiches that his wife had made for us. Beautiful thick meatloaf ssndwiches made with home made bread and mayo and all the fixings,,,,,yummy!. There were also about two dozen nice big soft chocolate chip cookies in there as well. Hmmm,,,this was really looking good to a teenager! I think we ate about half of the cookies on the way to the camp! Darn,,,,she was a good cook!

We drove out to where the mudhole was, and stopped. He showed me the trees he wanted cut, had a heckofa big slug from his bottle, and took off walking to camp to get the jeep with trailer to haul the wood back.

I knocked down the trees, and was bucking them into firewood when he came back and fired up his nice Jonsered chainsaw to help me. I ran out of gas and was filling up,,,,,,hearing his saw going weeeeeAhhhhhh,,,,,weeeeAuuu,,,,,and he was just working his butt off cutting through a smallish limb. It was HURTFUL to hear. He was rasping away at that limb with dust coming from the saw.

Finally he came back to the truck as I was touching up my chain with the file. He sat down on the tailgate, had another big swig from the bottle, and said "What are you doing?" I told him that I was just touching up the chain. He said "You must have a bad chain,,,,,,,mine is still sharp!"

Well, I told him that his chain must be dull as an old hoe, and that I would sharpen it for him if he wanted. He hemmed and hawed a bit, and finally let me at his treasured saw. The chain wasn't all that bad, just filed with a bad backslant to the cutters. The rakers were too high also.

So while I filed his chain, he methodically consumed about four of the sandwiches,,,one after the other. He was inhaling them,,,,so I figured that if I was going to get even one of them, I had better hurry up with the filing job!!!

Well, I finished filing, He took another huge drag from the bottle,,,,,started up the saw and proceeded to whack at a limb that was abou 8" in diameter. He hit the limb with the saw, and it went through it like butter,,,,his head jerked up as his arms jerked down with the weight of the saw. The saw hit the ground still idling, and he stood there with his jaw agaping! HaHa!

He was flabbergasted! He looked at me and said,,,,,,"What did you do to my saw?" This thing is dangerous!!!!!!

Needless to say, he probably had not experienced a nice sharp chain before that!

He didn't cut another block, but loaded the wood into the trailer all the rest of the day.

Oh, he finished the bottle before long, and ate all the rest of the sandwiches as well! Durn his hide!!!!! HaHa!

Latest posts

Back