2 cycle mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Tree brothers,
What kind of 2 cycle mix do you use?...
I switched to synthetic Amsoil 100:1, two years ago.. My lungs have been thanking me ever since.. At the time I got highly sensitive to dust and air pollutants.. had to wear a respirator. I was often short of breath. It might have been lyme effecting the lungs.. or just 20 years of breathing all that dust and fumes catching up to me. In any case the 100:1 makes a big difference. We clean gutters every fall and can burn 2-3 gallons of mix a day in the hand blowers.
On a related note.. I got my hair tested twice for toxicity. Both tests showed cadmium, a very toxic heavy metal, off the charts. The first doctor said they were so high, it must have been my shampoo. I learned later that cadmium poisoning can be caused by "auto fumes".
The respirators help. They cut the smell and taste of fumes to nothing.. so they have to be getting a lot of the toxins... and they don't get the carbon monoxide.
I have a some protocals for detox programs which I hope to get to this winter or spring. I'll keep you posted.
God Bless All,
Daniel

I run amsoil in my chipper, and have the bypass filter system too, so I never change the oil. i still need to set up the truck.

Several guys here have either had problems with the 2 cycle amsoil, or are leery. do a search, lots of great talk on mix, etc. i would not run amsoil at 100-1, maybe 70-1.

I'm switching to either Maxima synthetic at 32-1 or Opti-2, at about 70-1. It is a natural lubricant, with some interesting qualities. i've heard great things, but need to ask Ken Dunn what he thinks. He is one of the most informed persons here on the subject, as well as bwalker, who thinks Opti-2 is junk....

who thinks Opti-2 is junk....
Roger.. thats not really accurate. I would say that a company that makes unsubstaniated claims that go against industry norms with out any data to back it up is suspect in my book. Couldnt go wrong with Motul 800 or Maxima K2. mobil Mx2t will also work fine if your muffler is modified and you are not milling with it.

Murphy, I doubt the cadmium in your hair is comeing from mix oil. Have you ever had any exposure to metal plateing machines, welding/soldering, electronics industry, coal powerplants,are you a smoker? This is the most common ways to get in trouble with cadmium, which BTW as I am sure you are aware is nasty stuff.

Last edited:
Bwalker,
No smoking or industrial exposure... minor welding in the shop.
There might have been something else over the years... who knows. Anyhow I trust my body and I became extremely sesitive to fumes a while back.. Not so bad now and I still like to be careful. I keep the respirators in the truck at all times.
Rb thanks for the suggestion.. I did a search under the chainsaw heading and learned a lot.
And my perspective is not so much about what is good for the saw... Having a hot saw doesn't help much if I can't breathe. So I like the amsoil cause it is easy on the lungs..
We used to mix 100:1, that is 8 oz. to a six galllon can. Then fill a smaller 2 gal. can as needed. The 6 gallon can died so now I've been using a 5 gal can which makes it 83:1 mix. No troubles and I guess we're pretty easy on the saws..
God Bless,
Daniel

I was using the Opti-2 for a couple years. I would take one pouch which was good for 2 1/2 gallons and use it for about 2 1/4 gallons. Supposedly it made 100:1. I just couldn't see any reason to spend $52 on 28 pouches of oil.

I'd be suprised if every manufacturer says not to use it.. I know it voids the warranty in Echos... and of course the mfgs are trying to sell you their oil..
I bought a case of quarts... I think it works out cheaper than other options and I'd pay 5x the $ to breathe a little easier.
God Bless,
Daniel

20 years ago, Echo and Optimol paired up and the Echo oil was actually Optimol. I liked it and used it for several years and never had a single problem. But my dealer told me they had lots of burned up motors. I would assume from math-impaired fuel mixers. Running that lean, it would be real easy to spill a little oil, or put a tad too much gas in the can, and then you have 120-1 which will burn up any two-cycle engine. Anyways, Echo gave up on the partnership and would void warranty if anyone used the stuff. Management by bean counters, not engineers.

Using a 6 gal. mix for 5 gallons is very smart, Murph. I doubt you will have any problems at that ratio. And if it helps with the allergies, that's great too.

Murphy, you may want to try Motul 800. It is almost smokeless and has a very pleasent aroma compared to some other oils. I dont believe your respratory problems are caused by the oil however. Since the oil is such a small part of the mix being ran through your engine it would have little effect on air pollution. The main problem with a two stroke is unburned HC(ie Gasoline) being passed with the exhaust as a result of the mototrs loop scavenging sytem. The best way to reduce this and visible smoke is to keep your carb adjusted properly. Even the cleanest oil will smoke with a overly rich carb. I think you will find that with the carb properly adjusted you will notice a marked decrease in smoke and smell, although there will always be a slight amount.BTW no MFG will warranty a motor run on 100:1.

ok a plain jane answer. stihl echo husky50-1
and 90+ octane. i can work onum in my house with the wife gone and she dont notice any odor. also no oil or clogged exhaust ports.plus the dam equipment just last on this combo. thats my experience .

So Tony and Walker,
I've been running Amsoil 83:1 with regular octane gas in (2) 044s, about three years old, and a bunch of echos 3000/3400s and just bought a pair of husky 350s. And I run a bunch of echo PB210-E blowers and just bought a echo backpack, maybe 650??? and occasionally bring out the 084. I AM thinking of going to high octane and opening up the exhaust on the echos. I hear your preferences and suggestions and still have a question.. Is there anything wrong with the Amsoil mixxed 83:1?
Thanks and God Bless,
Daniel
PS please forgive me if I sound like some of those people that just won't listen... I hate that.

Tree Climber 165,
Murphy 4 Trees,
Read your posts and memories made me chuckle.
Echo & Optimol did pair up at one time. Anyone who tells you that they parted over engine problems doesn't know the "rest of the story", as Paul Harvey says.

When Echo introduced their newest & greatest oil the packaging had Optimols logo on it. That was part of the contract. It gave instant credibility to both companies. Those who were using Opti 2 in other two cycle engines now knew if Echo was using it, it must be good. Echo now had a new, more enviro friendly mix, and much better human bio friendly formula. As some earlier posts have written.

Problem was really two things, but one major one was marketing.
Only one of the Echo distributors was an Optimol distributor. All the Optimol distributors sold competitive two cycle product lines.

So, the dealers could buy Optimol much cheaper from them, than the Echo brand, sell it for the same price, making more $$$$, or sell it cheaper.

Pissed off the Echo distributors royally!

Back to the competitive side. Around the same time, Ariens the lawnmower/snowblower company started selling Tanaka's private labeled as Ariens. Many of the Echo distributors also sold Ariens. A few of the Tanaka distributors sold Optimol, so they would sell them both Tanaka/Ariens, and Optimol/Echo lube at better prices to dealers.
Pissed off Ariens distributors, too.

PLUS there were some Poulan, Shindiawa, Red Max, Pioneer/Partner, and Husky distributors selling Optimol.

These competitive salesman were not only taking sales away on lubes, but Echo dealers started buying competive two cycle products from the Optimol salesman.

How long do you think it took for the Echo distributor salesman to "manufacture problems", and stop selling the Echo/Optimol lube?????

How long do you think it took before Echo quietly stopped selling Optimol???

I was involved with both sides, so....that's all I can say publicly.

Murphy, if I were you, I wouldn't fix what's not broke. Your experience should prove that what your using & doing works.

PS: Both Oregon, and Stens(huge after market parts company), and others have Optimols Opti 2 oil private labled for them.

Snapper, Kawasaki, and other companies who I hope know what they're doing, have Optimol Opti 4 private labled for them.

pleasant odor

Hey Bwalker,You mentioned Motol having a pleasant odor and you appear to associate with motrorcycles.It reminds me of my mx days and Blenzall.I really liked the odor of it and Castor R in 2 strokes.Are you familiar with these?I would'nt recommend these today but they sure do have a unique odor.

Latest posts

Back