200 to spend on a saw new or used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Should I get a new ms170 in 14 inch or 16 inch bar. A lightly used ms180. Or a beat ms250. Or a new redmax gz4000 ( I had the ryobi 10532 twice never had so many problems I also hear the strato intake melts from ethanol being discontinued) they are all about 200 give or take. Saw will be a backup to my echo cs400 18 inch 40cc. Uses are: I have basically no trees on my property 4 trees but most are under 15 feet tall. Some occasional firewood for camping a few days a year. Storm cleanup if any. And maybe a side job once a year taking down a tree or limbing. The 170 I can just go buy simply. it's basically just in case I get the echo stuck or its breaks ( unlikely I've had 5 echos never a problem). I don't want a husqvarna or another echo I want to try something new never had a stihl.

If you're patient and keep your eye out you can get a decent used 50cc saw for $200 or less. Then your 400 might become the backup for bigger jobs!

Or you could spend close to $200 on an MS170 and have an underpowered, flimsy saw. Your call ;)

An descent 026,034,036 stihl can be found in that price range as well as several mid pro husqvarnas. That's the route I would take.

I'm looking for light by the way. I had a echo ca330t very light A few months back I feel my cs400 is a little heavy(yes I'm pretty weak )

I see you have a echo 310 and a ms170 and ms180 how do you feel about them ?
I like all saws, don't get me wrong, but my small Echos are much smoother, easier to start, and oil the bar better than the small Stihls. I think the air filter setup is a little better too.

I can make more money buying and selling small Stihls but the Echo is more fun to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to insult anyone but how does the ms170 compare to a poulan wood shark lol? I had one for 3 years. Never gave me a problem it felt like a pos though. paid 50 for it refurbished It took about 10 pulls to start even being tuned properly though.

Husqvarna 440 can be had refurbished for around $200. Also many Husky 350, 55, 51, out there in that price range. The echo saws seem to be a great bang for your buck saw, I really like the quality of my echo leaf blower, easiest starting 2 stroke I have ever had, its a 1 pull tool even after a winter of being stored.

Do you want something comparable to your CS-400? Because if you do an MS170 or 180 is not it and a beat up 250 sounds like a bad idea. I'd get another new Echo or find a good used pro model 50cc in that price range.

Yup, my local dealer shop had a clean, reconed 445 on the floor for $225. I bought my older 350 for $195.

Love my CS400. Echo has a good reputation for quality and reliability. Their blowers and trimmers are almost legendary.

Back