2016 Supertech 2 cycle oil info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300smag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been spending time here and there looking at oil threads. I have moved and do not have my oil store nearby any longer. I want a oil that is close to me , is not special order and is quality and reasonable price. In my research I called Citgo for some info on the Supertech oil that they supply Walmart with and wanted to share with all of you that may find of interest. I have been wanting to share some thoughts but have not wanted the typical sword fighting that follows with one's opinions. I have had some questions regarding what people are sharing. When I see people talk about their preferred mix ratio , I have never seen anyone talk about the oils viscosity or other info. Here is a thought I would like to see opinions on. If the oil is much greater in viscosity (Bel ray h1r , Maxima 927) , wouldn't this indicate less oil would be needed for the desired lubrication ? So also , less viscosity , more oil for desired lubrication ? Here is what I received in specific to the Physical and Chemical properties :

Attachments

• Attachments_2016513.zip
    528.2 KB · Views: 83
Please let me know if you are unable to load these files. I am no computer tech ! So of these oils , I noticed that the 2 cycle full synthetic has a kinematic viscosity at 40 deg. C is 54 cst vs the TC-W3 at 32 cst. I am not recommending these oils , I am only sharing what I found on these (mystery) oils .... lol. I hope we can have a constructive thread here. Thanks

40:1 ratio should be safe, if your plug starts to soot up, bump it to 45:1.

Obviously if you've got some old soldier of a chainsaw, like a 1950s-1970s Mac that's the size of an outboard engine, you'll want 32:1.

Now a great oil discussion for the ignition cycle of around 170/sec in a cut. Ahhhh yes viscosity is extremely important in this context...

Every event i run my saws they are checked as for the carb settings. As for the oil mix ratio , I typically run 40:1 for the saws with Saber. I have been porting etc. all of them that I have rebuilt, no pop ups or case work. Well , I figured out what I'm gonna run for oil based on quality and price. I wanted to share this as most people probably don't get their oil from an oil distributer. Citgo is one of the few that manufactures oil for many brands. The make it for walmart as they do others. The brand is called Mystik JT-4 synthetic 2-cycle snowmobile oil. I can buy this stuff for $5.51 per qt. or 1 gallon for $22.04. If I order a case they will deliver it to my door. This is the best oil for the money I found. The Mystik website has the product data on the page. I know there are much more fancy oils out there ( Bel Ray H1R ) but 25 miles away they want $25 for a liter. I am no chemist , so I still would like some input ( I have my own thoughts ) on how the viscosity could impact how much oil is needed for a mix. Thoughts ?

Do I understand this thread correctly that you want a high viscosity oil to reduce the amount of oil? To do what? Save a few cent on oil in the mix? ... edit!

Do I understand this thread correctly that you want a high viscosity oil to reduce the amount of oil? To do what? Save a few cent on oil in the mix? This is clearly a very naiv thread that deserves the quick death of all oil threads...

No , you do not understand a damn thing posted here apparently. The rest of us can conclude this thread without your dribble.

As for the posting of my thread , I hope the information I found on the Supertech oil and passed on can be found useful. I was unable to find anything at all before contacting Citgo. If anyone cares to humor my question about the viscosity and your opinion on its relationship to mixing , I would like to see your opinions. I have never read anyone speak of this before. My opinion is that there is much more to what to mix at depending on the equipment and it's use , rpm , output and the oil . Not to over think things here ..... hahaha

It appears these are just MSDS with some basic chemical property info - is there any performance data telling how the oil works on any standardized ratings? I've used it in a pinch a few times, and use it for assembly lube.

I have not seen product data on the Supertech oil. I agree that there is info not included I would like to see. I think I will email back asking for that. It just struck my curiosity as to what was in this stuff. I will be sure to post it when I can receive that info as well. As far as the comparable Citgo products they look almost identical in make up. Hmm. That would make the Supertech a great value for some applications. Like I said earlier , the JT-4 synthetic Mystik looks like a great oil at $22.00 a gallon compared to what I have been using , the Amsoil Saber at $12.0 per quart and I was having trouble getting it local. The Supertech synthetic 2-cycle looks to be new for 2016 and compares with info given to the JT-4. But the JT-4 I found gives all data and says exceeds JASO and ISO which I like to see. I am not trying to talk anyone into the JT-4 , just that in my opinion , getting it for $22 a gallon and delivered from a distributer seems like an excellent value and product. Some of you may find getting your oil that way may save some bucks if you run a fleet of 2-cycle equipment regardless of brand. I know many folks buy theirs off the shelf.

I would just remind you Wal-Mart always goes to the lowest bidder for the products they sell. That in itself makes me Leary of any Wal-mart house brand stuff they sell. I'm sure it gets the job done. I just don't trust anything Wal-mart does.

Sent from somewhere

I would just remind you Wal-Mart always goes to the lowest bidder for the products they sell. That in itself makes me Leary of any Wal-mart house brand stuff they sell. I'm sure it gets the job done. I just don't trust anything Wal-mart does.

Sent from somewhere
I agree , I want to know what I am buying. This info seems a bit left out. If there was a selling point to include why wouldn't you disclose it ? But every application has it's purpose. I have seen mystery in what these oils are. So in Mi. , this is what I have found on them. Take it for what it's worth folks.

Do you really expect companies to reveal their "secret ingredients" to the public? ... edit!

Do you really expect companies to reveal their "secret ingredients" to the public? You are really more naiv than I expected, but good luck in your crusade.

7sleeper , I find your comments rude. I don't appreciate your child like comments during this thread. It is people like you that keep others from a constructive discussion and if were face to face I highly doubt would be able to get away with it , at least in my company. This oil I speak of isn't made in Austria , so it doesn't concern you. And all brands of oil I have looked up for product info have been able to get or have it on their web page . You remind me of a fly that just comes back to annoy and is just asking to be smashed into a grease spot. If a (naiv) discussion on ArboristSite cannot be treated with respect and courtesy from you then fly away. I wouldn't doubt your english teacher asked why you were being so naiv ?? You would have learned to spell ?? Your first lesson , N A I V E ... NAIVE and that word has meaning. You are the only person that has been rude to me of all these fine folks that I respect and have respected here on Arboristsite. I have read many posts before posting on here , if I am missing something I would gladly take their kind correction. As to starting a thread it is because I wanted to give data or make it easy to those who haven't seen it. I have greatly enjoyed all the value from folks here and hope that I could give back when possible.

It's kinda surprising the info Walmart gets away with not being listed on their products, a good example is the OlRoy dog food they sell, absolutely no info on the bag about what's in it, they do have a 800 number to call but I've tried calling couple time and never got to talk to anyone, your supposed to leave a message and callback number so I did but they never called back. And yes I'm still using the OlRoy dog food .

Well now, there's a lot of really really boring stuff on oil testing, methodology, mapping out results, modulus fitting, etc, etc.
I've included some links for those who hate life and might want to pour over the stuff. :D

http://www.wdarc.org/articles_files/2 stroke Oil Test.pdf

http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oiltest.htm

http://www.snowmobileforum.com/arctic-cat-snowmobiles/63969-great-2-stroke-oil-testing-thread.html

http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/oil-2T/2-cycle_lubes.pdf

http://www.sea-doo.net/the-late-great-oil-debate/2015/04/

That pretty well covers the basics without getting too crazy.

As much as I dislike Walmart we do go there from time to time. I do agree their business tactics are very crude at best but also that business plan made for one of the biggest retailers in the world. Not a way I would do things.

Sent from somewhere

Back