2016 Supertech 2 cycle oil info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Citgo has a reputation for making good two cycle oils. I have used "sea and snow" extensively in snowmobiles with excellent results. Their "air cooled" product is also very good at a reasonable price. It's also actually JASO FD certified.

I have heard good things reports about the Citgo oil also. They are of the few that actually manufactures in the US. I actually bought a case for my sleds and have had no issues with it.

It's kinda surprising the info Walmart gets away with not being listed on their products, a good example is the OlRoy dog food they sell, absolutely no info on the bag about what's in it, they do have a 800 number to call but I've tried calling couple time and never got to talk to anyone, your supposed to leave a message and callback number so I did but they never called back. And yes I'm still using the OlRoy dog food .
Ralph Nader is no longer active as demonstrated by numerous examples in marketing and consumer information.

I have not seen product data on the Supertech oil. I agree that there is info not included I would like to see. I think I will email back asking for that. It just struck my curiosity as to what was in this stuff. I will be sure to post it when I can receive that info as well. As far as the comparable Citgo products they look almost identical in make up. Hmm. That would make the Supertech a great value for some applications. Like I said earlier , the JT-4 synthetic Mystik looks like a great oil at $22.00 a gallon compared to what I have been using , the Amsoil Saber at $12.0 per quart and I was having trouble getting it local. The Supertech synthetic 2-cycle looks to be new for 2016 and compares with info given to the JT-4. But the JT-4 I found gives all data and says exceeds JASO and ISO which I like to see. I am not trying to talk anyone into the JT-4 , just that in my opinion , getting it for $22 a gallon and delivered from a distributer seems like an excellent value and product. Some of you may find getting your oil that way may save some bucks if you run a fleet of 2-cycle equipment regardless of brand. I know many folks buy theirs off the shelf.
What Jaso & Iso Ratings does it exceed ? ,is it an oil for air cooled motors only? Usually with a TCW designation it is for Liquid cooled some will do both but not as well as a single type use,the company you refer to will be blenders they will buy in base stock & blend according to the end user requirements. I think if you study different companys spec sheets you will find a good few of different company's 2 smoke mix oil is in the sae 40 range,if you can find & talk to a small independent oil blending ompany do not be put off if they don't have the Jaso etc. ratings as some years back it cost $75,000 to have the products tested, so it was a no go but if you know the company their oil can be equal or better than the ratings but if in doubt buy a FC/FD rated oil. As per the modders/tuners findings the more oil in the fuel within reason the harder the motor will be able to perform A mix to ensure none oil failure ( with modern) oil seems to range between 32/40 to1 a lot of folk will say 50& north to 1 is fine & they have used that ratio for years & the manufacturers recommend it ' but I always have a sneaking feeling so long as the warranty period passes without problems they( the makers) would like the saw to wear out.= more sales. I have stripped commercially used saws & found the ones using more oil in the mix had better bottom ends in terms of wear etc. & bores rings etc. were less worn But you pays your money & takes your pick As an aside we buy our oil from an independent blending company it contains all the bells & whistles of big company brands at a much more favorable price.

As for the posting of my thread , I hope the information I found on the Supertech oil and passed on can be found useful. I was unable to find anything at all before contacting Citgo. If anyone cares to humor my question about the viscosity and your opinion on its relationship to mixing , I would like to see your opinions. I have never read anyone speak of this before. My opinion is that there is much more to what to mix at depending on the equipment and it's use , rpm , output and the oil . Not to over think things here ..... hahaha
I think you are over thinking re viscosity The mix ratio tends to stay the same From my days back then of Road/Circuit motor cycle racing the longer the throttle was kept fully open per lap the more oil was added to the fuel mix Not really relevant to chain saws as the throttle position is WOT all the time it's cutting You could view this as the bigger the log the longer the throttle is WO = more oil, but a mix ratio of 32,40/1or even North of this seems to cover the requirements of the machine, I come under the term old school & always run 32/1

I have been spending time here and there looking at oil threads. I have moved and do not have my oil store nearby any longer. I want a oil that is close to me , is not special order and is quality and reasonable price. In my research I called Citgo for some info on the Supertech oil that they supply Walmart with and wanted to share with all of you that may find of interest. I have been wanting to share some thoughts but have not wanted the typical sword fighting that follows with one's opinions. I have had some questions regarding what people are sharing. When I see people talk about their preferred mix ratio , I have never seen anyone talk about the oils viscosity or other info. Here is a thought I would like to see opinions on. If the oil is much greater in viscosity (Bel ray h1r , Maxima 927) , wouldn't this indicate less oil would be needed for the desired lubrication ? So also , less viscosity , more oil for desired lubrication ? Here is what I received in specific to the Physical and Chemical properties :
wal mrt oil is manufactured by warren oil not citgo, at least in nevada

I would just remind you Wal-Mart always goes to the lowest bidder for the products they sell. That in itself makes me Leary of any Wal-mart house brand stuff they sell. I'm sure it gets the job done. I just don't trust anything Wal-mart does.

Sent from somewhere

The military does that too.

It's kinda surprising the info Walmart gets away with not being listed on their products, a good example is the OlRoy dog food they sell, absolutely no info on the bag about what's in it, they do have a 800 number to call but I've tried calling couple time and never got to talk to anyone, your supposed to leave a message and callback number so I did but they never called back. And yes I'm still using the OlRoy dog food .

I wouldn't feed that crap to anything. It's the worst of the worst. It costs $20 for a 50lbs bag for a reason! Equal to a human trying to live on nothing but bread and corn.
Used to say right on the bag to the effect that it wasn't meant as a "balanced" food, to suplement with normal food.
May as well just feed a dog sawdust, it's probably better.

That's fine if you are using 1960s oil, but it's come a long way since then!

I prefer to not breathe oil fumes all day and come home stinking up the place.
From what I understand anything over 40:1 was not the saw manufacturers idea but instead EPA's idea. I never go over 40:1 and it's easy 50 cc per 2 liter or 100cc per 4 liter. Yep I said liter even though I'm in the USA because I use 2 liter soft drink bottles. They are tough, seal perfect, easy to carry to the cut and are free plus the fact that 2 liters is about right for a break time if not before then if bending over a lot so, no need to carry more.

50-1 is all I ever used in chainsaws since buying my first one back in about 1981 and never any issues, seems pretty simple despite what many folks say if 50-1 wasn't good enough the saw manufacturers sure wouldn't be recommending it. Always used about any synthetic brand that was available reasonably but since I bought a brandnew saw 2 years ago all I've used is the rather expensive Husqvarna oil but one of these days that might change.

My old hound favorite was olroy . This is funny something cheap an good

That's fine if you are using 1960s oil, but it's come a long way since then!

I prefer to not breathe oil fumes all day and come home stinking up the place.
If I recall correctly in the 60's the ratio was more 16 to 25/1 Our 3 fallers cut at least 6hrs a day 5 days a week & when necessary longer, saws using a 32/1 ratio & they don't stink of oil/fuel on returning to the shop, sweat maybe I didn't ask or tell you to use that ratio mix you are free to make your own decisions, a point you didn't make was it also depends on the brand of oil used Some brands you could smell using 100/1 mix the bar & chain oil spattering you in certain situations would probably make you "stink" more, but who knows.

Dunno. Have yet to have a saw fail on 50:1 and I've been logging/selling firewood since 2011.
I probably cut more wood in a day then many on here do in a year so fumes are a real concern.
As said each to his own, I started commercial logging in 1970 & was active on the front line as it were until 2008 I then went into the workshop to service equipment, saws harvester etc. As I'm now in my 80th year & had a heart pacemaker fitted last year I mostly am workshop stationed but still cut some 45/50 cubic metres to fire wood stove length per year & have around 20 cm that has seasoned 3 years for each winter heating 1 don't want to get into a trumpet blowing thing but as you bring it up re your logging/woodcutting I guess you are running 2nd at least in the wood cutting stakes due to the short time you've been at it :laugh:

I have heard good things reports about the Citgo oil also. They are of the few that actually manufactures in the US. I actually bought a case for my sleds and have had no issues with it.
I would guess that Citgo are blenders rather than an out & out oil company they obtain base stock from an oil company & blend in "goodies" to suit the purpose for which the oil is to be used for; a "tweek" used in Motul 2 smoke oil is that 710 /800 is the same except that 800 has an extra additive to keep the power valve on Mbikes free

wal mrt oil is manufactured by warren oil not citgo, at least in nevada
My super tech bottle reads
Dunno. Have yet to have a saw fail on 50:1 and I've been logging/selling firewood since 2011.
I probably cut more wood in a day then many on here do in a year so fumes are a real concern.
Can't fault anyone for using 50:1 but I like the idea of that little extra margin in case a lean condition isn't recognized right away like some of the modder/builders have recommended several times here and on YT. That extra amount adds up to 25% more oil when using 40:1 but is only 10cc's extra per 2 liter. Cheap insurance for my sawing volume...might add up for full time sawyers. I know one thing...if I had hired crew running saws, 40:1 would be cheap in the long run. Crap, I couldn't even get guys to keep the dozer greased...doubt they would tweek a saw's carb.

Viscosity will not be a fact at all in this discussion at all. Simple poor mans test is you do not have a calibrated fisher cup is you take a red bull can, take a stick pin and puncture the bottom. Use a zyliss can opener and remove the top ( tab side ) then add the handle. Now mix 1 gallon of mixed fuel as you like it and 1 gallon of straight fuel.
Now get your stopwatch and measure the time it takes for it to empty from the mixed fuel to the straight fuel the time will be the same. Also why not use the oil that is meant for the task at hand?

s-l640.jpg

50:1 is what I use, if it is good enough for all the tree crews, landscapers, and alike it is good enough for me.

Latest posts

Back