260 Pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LHJim

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at getting another chainsaw. The one I have used sporadilly is the Wild Thing...don't laugh it was given to me and has run for 5 or 6 years. Recently I bought a large timber tract that has some mixed oak/pine/junk wood and I am going to clean up some paths to funnel deer and make trails for my kid's future ATV. The Wild Thang was good for what it was and what I needed to do...but its useless when I am approaching mid-life crisis and need a saw that is utterly reliable and starts on the first pull or second.

I got an Echo trimmer from Home Depot and that was about 5 or 7 years ago and used in residential applications and it has not given me a problem. The choice of saw I have now are Husky and Stihl and Echo. I know the Echo CS-400 will work for me and if I want to get a bigger saw later on the Echo will serve me good as a backup saw. However, I have been thinking of getting a Pro Saw and be done with it. It seem the Pro saw will cost a bit more but that does not bother me as I plunk a couplea Benjamins more.

At my age now I am willing to give more for quality. The saw I am looking for needs to be entry level pro saw and a 16" or 18" bar. I would say most of the trees I cut will average around 12" diameter straight across. So a 16" will do for me but a 18" is only 2" more. I saw someone post that the 260 Pro does not have all that much power to weight ratio. How would the 260 Pro compare to the Mid-Range saws? I can also consider the Husky but want to look at the entry level Pro saws but will also look at the Husky Landowner saws too. It is just comparing the features and what folks find works best for them. I really want to stay away from plastic and do not know if the Pro saws have plastic or not. Yes I checked the 260 Pro at my Stihl and felt good. Will check the huskys soon. I will say that I used alot of saws back in my younger days when my dad ran a beef cattle farm in KY...seem a long time ago now. But that was 30 years ago and now I am getting back to doing those things and I got more money now than we had 30 years ago when all landowners got by with what they could.

So tell me what are the true difference between the MS 260 and MS 260 Pro (worth the $$?) and Stihl's midrange saws like the 270/280. I will probably go with the 16" bar to get better power to weight ratio. Anyone think I should look at Husky's a bit more? Like I said...the CS-400 seems to be a good deal for the money and the warranty trumps Stihl/Husky but the Stihl/Husky is tugging me too :cry: I am looking to spend $300 up to around $500 or so.

Let me know what you all think. I will probably get a diplated cabin in a year or two and probably go down there and cut firewood and do the ATV-**** with my kids so this saw will come in handy.

Thanks...

I'm told the principle differences between the pro and mid-range saws are a small weight difference, better vibration control, and ease of overhauling. I cut firewood (4-5 cords per year) and maintain roads and do a little culling in my 75 acres of woods - mostly hardwood up to 14"-16" diameter. I'm quite satisfied with my mid-range Stihl MS 290 with an 18" bar. I never use it for more than a couple of hours in a day or more than a couple days a week and it fully meets my needs. I don't ever expect to have to overhaul it at this rate of use (and my age - 73 years young). If you go onto the Chainsaw forum with this question, you'll get all kinds of answers, but the consensus will be that the MS-290 is a darn good, but not highly sophisticated saw. Some of the pros will push the MS-260 Pro, and others will claim that the MS-361 will do everything, including cure cancer.

I am pretty sure the only difference between the 260 and 260pro is a decompression valve on the pro. The 260 is considered a pro model saw no matter what, and is a well respected and proven model in the stihl lineup. I am not sure that stihl even makes a 260 non pro anymore, perhaps if you are seeing a 260 it may be old stock? This could be a possible bargaining point. I really doubt you will need decomp on a 50cc saw. You can't go wrong with the 260.

The mid range stihl saws aren't to bad either. The 270/290 gets slammed for being a little heavy for their power output, but there are lots of satisfied users out there. Rebuilds on the mid range stihl saws are not as easy as the pro models. Some would argue they aren't designed to be rebuilt.

Not that the echo would be a bad little saw, but there is really no comparison between the two. The echo gives away 25% in displacement to the 260, and just isn't a pro model. Definitely a step up from the wild thing, but not in the same league as the mid or pro stihls. Probably more like the homeowner saws.

Husky makes some fine saws too

If you want to learn more than you ever want to know about chainsaws, just scroll down the home page and enter the chainsaw forum. Be warned, one saw is never enough...

Last edited:
Might consider a Husky 353...not quite as hot as the 346XP but sounds like it would serve you well and fits your price point. Step up from most homeowner saws w/ the mag case and easy flip feature for the air filter. Similiar gitty up to the 260.

Ms 361

Guys, thanks for chimming in. The law of diminishing returns for me is probably paying more than $500 a saw.

Was looking at the MS 361---highly touted here as the best saw for a do-it-all...if there was ever such a thing. The MS 361 is *only* about $70 more than the MS 260 Pro. I am referring to the plain jane 361. Hard to believe that when the displacement of the 361 is almost 20% more.

Again, for me needs I should get what I need and not what I *may* need. I mean if the 361 was going away and had it for $30 more than the 260 I certainly would consider it but more likely the 260 fits my need.

Still mulling it over....

Of course the CS-400 is not in the same league as the 260 Pro but then the CS-400 is at least $200 cheaper and a person could still keep warm with a CS-400 running the firewood stack! (I run a Tacoma and have pulled boats and the like and has never let me down...not sure what a Ford XLT F150 can do better for me needs.)

Thanks for bringing up the issue that maybe the MS260 is no longer made. I think my Stihl dealer has both in stock and both are listed on the Stihl website so its probably still being made.

By the way, are all saws made by Stihl and distributed to Stihl-dealers sold at MSRP or are they a little less? Just wondering cuz you can buy a car for less than MSRP and wonder about these saws...

Thanks

Husky 353

bowtech,

Don't see the Husky 353 on the Husqvarna website. Is the Husky site outdated? Seem there were a couple Husky saws mentioned in other threads and I could not find them on the Husky site.

My uncle in Tenn has a Husky and said he likes it. Forgot what model it is but he said it has been a good saw. I got no problems with the Husky and need to get to a Husky dealer and check out their lineup.

I know I am a homeowner but want to buy a saw from a dealer of chainsaws...might as well as HD and Lowes are offering crap stuff nowdays...I know cuz I used to work part time at HD in the electrical dept. And not only that but the entry level saws at these stores are kind of expensive for the usage you can get out of them...

Thanks.

Heh heh heh. This is how it starts. Plenty of good advice and the 260 is a fine all-rounder and about as cheap as you can get into a "pro" Stihl. Personally, for one saw, I'd go a little bigger, wouldn't argue with anyone who disagreed. But the 260 is the thin end of the wedge. Financial discipline says that you can do what you need to do with the Echo, if not with what you already have. But quality and pride of ownership beckon, once you get the idea that a Pro model will make you happier than a midrange model the die is cast. Already the thought occurred that the Echo might be a good backup to a bigger saw; pretty soon the 260 will seem like a good backup to, hmmm, maybe a MS460 before they're gone, or a MS441? Uh, oh, that leaves a gap. A MS361 (before they're gone) would fill that gap nicely, or maybe a 372xp, another endangered species with the 2010 EPA regs. Or maybe you run into a good used 394xp, you wouldn't run it that much, but sure is fun when you do . . .

Yes, a MS260 is an excellent choice, and if you can afford the higher price you'll appreciate having it instead of a 270 even though the latter would likely be equal to your needs. For clearing/cleaning and occasional use you do not need more than one saw. You can gnaw your way through some pretty big logs with 50ccs and a 16" bar. But then you can also use 90ccs and blast through them with a big grin on your face.

Enjoy the MS260. Shhh, listen. That's 70ccs calling. Resistance is futile.

Jack

I bought a used 026 the same as the 260 this fall before that iI cut most of my wood. 115 truckloads since mid august with my 441,since buying the 026 it is used at least 80% of the time,it is lite and cuts fast it has a 16" bar with a 8 tooth drive sprocket and runs .325 chisel chain.In small stuff it will cut as fast as the 441 in larger wood it is slower but with less weight to lug around I can cut longer.The differance in the 260 and 260 pro is a decomp which you do not need and the oiler on the pro only runs when the chain turns.That means that when you set the non pro model down and move brush that it will spit out some oil when you first rev it up.For the money not sure it is worth it.
Even though I love my 026 I have three larger saws and my advice for you would be to buy the 361 my son-in-law has one and I think it is a good choice if you only have one saw for all around use.:chainsaw:

The difference between the 260 and the 260 pro is the decompression valve on top for an easier start although the regular 260 starts very easy and the 260 pro also has an adjustable oil pump to allow more oil to the bar. Again, no problems with the regular 260. I own and have run 260 and 260 pro for the past 20 years and LOVE them, use them more than any other saw I have now or have had in the past. Matter of fact, I just picked one up yesterday, a 260 rebuilt, for $260 and started first pull. I'll never be without a 260 of some sort in the line up. The 440 and 441 are big saws, not something you want to lug around through the woods and in my opinion, and I have tried them, the 3 series from Stihl are too bulky for me. Just my opinion. I have a 440 and don't think its as bulky for some reason. The 16" bar will do you fine for the trees you have and keep in mind, the bigger bar means more money for the chain. Not much more but more. And if you're cutting 12" trees, why go even bigger than the 16" the saw comes with? No reason. Good luck.:cheers:

I have owned a ms361 and 026. I sold the 361. The 026 is a nice size saw. It is light and powerfull. The 361 is a great saw but was overkill for most of my use which is like you describe. I think you will be happy with the ms260 with a 16'' bar.

I am looking at getting another chainsaw. The one I have used sporadilly is the Wild Thing...don't laugh it was given to me and has run for 5 or 6 years.

Let me know what you all think. I will probably get a diplated cabin in a year or two and probably go down there and cut firewood and do the ATV-**** with my kids so this saw will come in handy.

Thanks...

I used a Craftsman "Pro" [essentially 50CC Poulan] with a 20" bar for my "all-in-one" saw for probably 5 years - the variety before that is really scary - before I broke down [saw still runs, but a bit weak] and realized I needed to get a bit more rugged and powerful saw. If you're not looking at anything over the 12" diameter that 260 with 18" will likely treat you great.

OTOH if you might encounter bigger, more power is always good. I have the fortune [misfortune maybe on the checkbook :) ] of a dealer that keeps logs out back. I was oggling the 390, and he recommended I try a 361 too - but warned I'd likely forget the price difference if I did. The power to weight and vibration differences seemed obvious. I'm a bit nose heavy with 24" on it [and that will pull the saw down fast if burried] but still a comfortable saw; however, if it's all small stuff the little 200 [yep, wife tried a log at the dealer too :) ] certainly tires a guy slower.

I can't speak for all dealers, but I think they have a little room to play, yet either real tight margins or a tight leash from Stihl. I'd bet you can get a couple goodies [case, oil, chain, or safety gear] included much easier than a price break.

LHJim,
I think you are on the right track. I would suggest these things before you decide on a saw.....

1) Dealer support. Visit the Stihl and Husky dealers and see if you get a good feel from your discussions. Whatever saw you purchase...you will need to get service /parts/extra chains/bar etc. Don't buy a echo or even Husky at a Home Depot or other retail shop. The prices are not better than a dependable dealer. Trust me on this one.

2) Weight matters. I absolutely believe that the weight of a saw can affect your safety in the woods. I don't cut everyday, so I just don't develop the stamina for welding a large saw. That is the disadvantage to a Stihl 290, it weighs 13 LB. My 250 Stihl is 10LB. Huge difference. I like that you are trending towards the lighter 260 or 361 because it usually helps prevent saw fatigue.

3) Compare apples to apples. Comparing a Stihl 260 to an Echo is not apples to apples. If price is a tough issue for you...buy a very nice homeowers Stihl or Husky. Husky 450/Stihl 290 are awesome homeowners saw that can handle most work, but they are heavy. The Husky 350/Stihl 250 are solid and light but may be smallish for your needs. It will give great performance but will not be a great everyday saw.
If price point is not a huge consideration, the Stihl 260, 361 or Husky 346xp are REALLY nice saws that are not overly powerful or heavy. They are fantastic saws that you will pay for but will be great investments.

4) Bar length. Stay with the 18" or 20" bar. remember, the more bar, the more chain those things have to pull. Unless you are cutting big wood...I would go with the 18".

Let us know how it turns out friend.

Jonsered 2153 or Husky 346NE will cut the pants off a MS260 and cost less to boot. Since you already have a Wild Thing for smaller stuff you may want to consider a 60 - 70 cc saw instead of a 50cc one. There is not a huge jump in price but there is a huge jump in performance.

LHJim

LHJim, where in VA are you?, I'm in Chesterfield, If your close by you can take my ms260 for a test run(behind my house).

By the way, hello all, first post.

Whenever I go cutting, the first 2 saws in the truck are my 288xp Husky and the 260 Pro. My 260 has the .325 18" bar. Even though on bigger stuff she lacks on power I could cut all day with this saw because it's lighter than most of my saws and you can get a decent run time out of a tank of fuel. But LHJim, just do your homework and go with what you think is the best bang for your buck.

If you are looking at spending $500 on a 260, add another 80 and buy the 361 with an 18" bar.

This saw will do everything you are looking for it to do and outlast you and your kids useful cutting lives.

I just got a 361 and let me just say, speed wise and torque wise, none of the farmer/rancher/homeowner stuff will get it done.

I now need a fiskers or stihl splitting ax. I have read that both are excellent but it will be dependent on availibility when I buy. Neither is to be had anywhere.

where in VA?

snuffstuff,

Thanks for the offer. I am in Northern VA (Manassas) but drive down to the Southern Piedmont area frequently. Would like to test run a 260 Pro but they are hard to find to demo. Apparently alot of these models are sold otherwise they would hav e been given the shaft...according to one post.

Still thinking on this. I think its easier to tell the inadequateness of a saw when you have tested several models of 50cc's. I know there will be no comparison with the 260Pro and Wild Thing but a good comparison would be the 260Pro and the MS270/280 which is the Landowner type of saw.

There is just too many posts from folks lamenting negatively on the 260Pro and it seem there are a few favorable responses on the 270. I know the 270 and 260Pro are different types of saw. I can also look at the plain jane 260 too. But these folks who put a negative light on the 260 really got me thinking.

The 361 sounds attractive but its more of a saw than I really need. Hey...I got to get two saws eventually so I might as get one of the lower range models (260Pro or 270/280 flavor) and if I really need a big boy can always spring for a big boy saw.

Still thinking on this. But tomorrow at work or when I come home I am going to check out the specs of the 270/280/310 saw. Also soneone said that the 260Pro saw is easy to upgrade or rebuild and not the 270. Is there any truth to this? I would imagine if I used this saw properly and take care of it...it will last me well past the warranty and probably long enough that when I need another one I can afford to buy another saw. As I mentioned before I always thought getting a entry level Pro saw would give me a tough and rugged saw for years to use but I want to get the best power ration in the 50cc (I think most of the Stihl saws are going to be rugged and can handle hours of use otherwise folks will not be touting Stihls). But supposedly the 260Pro is supposed to handle hours of use but maybe that is because of the inept power to weight ratio?

I will stop over the Stihl dealer and check the other Landowner saws like the 270/280 and see what I think.

Still not not gotten any of the Huskys that are the Pro model that are in the 50cc's. someone mention the 353 model but its not on their website. The XP saws look great but will need to check out which one is in the 50cc range in order to compare apples to apples.

Thanks for your help gents and gals...

Pro can run all day but

Grizzly,

I know the 260 Pro can run all day but probably somewhat lacking on the big stuff. However if I really need it for the big stuff...gotta make sure the chain is sharp and let the saw do its work...after all its a Pro model so it will get the job done...just not in record time. This is precisely what I am looking for...for the standard stuff it should be a good saw for firewood and other stuff but can do the bigger stuff. Of course a 361 will also do it both ways but I would be paying for a bigger saw and not really need it but who knows. I am more looking for a rugged and durable saw...and I am not racing to finish at the finish line LOL.

I know saws have features that make them ideal and for me its best to find the best all around saw for me. From the looks of this, it looks like the 260Pro saw should not me MSRP slightly over $500 since its power to weight ratio is a little lacking and from the complaints of folks on this board on their experience with the 260Pro. Of course maybe they have 3 or 5 saws to compare and probably saw more than I do so their experience counts if I want to screen out the saws.

I think I have gotten alot of information from this site and will certainly help in my decision. come to think of it...any Stihl saw will work for my purposes but I kalso know you pay for what you get!

The ms260 is the better saw than the ms270/ms280 by a large margin IMO. Like I said, I chose a 026 over a ms361 for my use after 2 years of owning both for heavy homeowner, firewood use. The 026/ms260 has stood the test of time for a reason. They are a great all purpose saw that lasts!!!

Back