260 Pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you heard any negative experience with the one Stihl dealer in Manassas? Have you bought from the Stihl dealer in Leesburg?

I have not been to the one in Manassas but I can assure you they can't compete with the service you would get at Tom's in Leesburg. Go by Tom's and tell him what you are looking for, he is a member here and a great guy to deal with.

...But quality and pride of ownership beckon, once you get the idea that a Pro model will make you happier than a midrange model the die is cast.
Jack

Good observation. A person may not need a Pro saw, but that is what will make him happy.

Grizzly,

I know the 260 Pro can run all day but probably somewhat lacking on the big stuff. However if I really need it for the big stuff...gotta make sure the chain is sharp and let the saw do its work...after all its a Pro model so it will get the job done...just not in record time.

Yes that is correct. Excellent comment.

The only thing that I would add is that the saw you choose can serve not only as an adequate tool, but also as a form of entertainment. Smaller saws provide the former, bigger saws provide both. Just saying, that's all.

Ms290

BlackenTimber,

I went and looked at the MS290 which is referred to as Farm Boss. I think I saw this in Southern States in Manassas. At this point I will buy my sawa from local dealers and support them. Don't always do/did that but now is the time to support the backbone of our economy. So if I do get a Husky or Stihl...it will be from a local dealer.

Anyway, I looked at the Farm Boss. Impressive credentials like the almost 57cc and 3.7 or 3.8hp. Pretty good and this is a Landowner saw. Price is pretty attractive.

I got a question on the 290. with these specs...why the hell is this in the Landowner saw and not the pro saw lineup? Is it because a "lesser" parts is used to build this saw and compared to the PRO saws the parts are more superior? The price of around $350 looks attractive and will have less of a ding on my CC than the $500+ Pro260.

If this Farm Boss is sold at Southern States, then they must be built for those type of stores? I recall someone mention that the big box stores that have the Husky probably have a "stripped" down version saw to appeal to the masses?

I will probably check out the leesburg store. 2000ssm6...not sure how you can say Leesburg store will treat me better unless you set foot in the Manassas store. But when I decide to buy a Stihl...will check out the leesburg store.

Right now I am leaning towards the standard 260 and realized with the two features of the Pro 260...I will not really need those two additional features as I am not going to run the 20" bar that these two features were designed for. My guess is if I got the standard 260, I would not want to leave it running/idling on the ground for more than a minute. Is this the way its suppose to be?

I will check out the husky saws too. But seem to feel comfortable with the stihl. Ahhh heck I may have two breeds in the lineup one day.

Dang...I think this thread has confused me more than helped me. I may as well renounce my membership and settle down and buy a saw and come back :)

SNIP
I got a question on the 290. with these specs...why the hell is this in the Landowner saw and not the pro saw lineup? Is it because a "lesser" parts is used to build this saw and compared to the PRO saws the parts are more superior? The price of around $350 looks attractive and will have less of a ding on my CC than the $500+ Pro260.

SNIP

It's the difference between a plastic "clamshell" crankcase (290) and a vertically split magnesium one (260 Pro), and consequent ease of rebuilding. A handy guy at home can rebuild a 290 if the P/C is toast, but a shop is likely to tell him it will cost more than the saw is worth. For Pro saws the P/C are reckoned to be consumed at least once in the life of the saw so they're made to be more easily replaced, though at greater initial cost for the saw.

Jack

Jim, i own variations of both the 260 (a low mileage 026) and 290 (a muffler modded 310). this doesn't make me an expert, but i will give you my thoughts and perspective as a landowner who uses saws to gather wood and control of oak in pine stands.

the first thing to remember is that any saw is a compromise of power, weight, and cost.

if the most of your trees are 12" as you stated, then i think you need to strongly consider the 361, if you wallet will stand it and still allow some $$ for chaps, ear protection, oil, files, chains, wedges and hammers and other items you will soon realize you need.

the 290/310 is a good alternative if the budget is tighter. it is less powerful than the 361, although a muffler modded 310 is right there with a 361 in terms of power, though it weighs more than either.

if you have mostly 6-10" trees and the odd 12", the 260 will handle these well. the 260 is also nicer if you will be doing a lot of limbing or if you have to tote the saw a distance. but if you are just mainly felling trees and leaving them laying, the weight won't be as important

any of these saws will last the HO a lifetime, with the advantage going to a pro saw when it needs rebuilding in 2030.

i guess it boils down to how much damage you want to do to the CC and if you really have mostly 12" trees:

good luck, and post pics when you get your new saw.

PS, don't ignore the Husky 346...light and powerful.

I will probably check out the leesburg store. 2000ssm6...not sure how you can say Leesburg store will treat me better unless you set foot in the Manassas store. But when I decide to buy a Stihl...will check out the leesburg store.

You will have to meet Tom to understand.:cheers:

I am looking at getting another chainsaw. The one I have used sporadilly is the Wild Thing...don't laugh it was given to me and has run for 5 or 6 years. Recently I bought a large timber tract that has some mixed oak/pine/junk wood and I am going to clean up some paths to funnel deer and make trails for my kid's future ATV. The Wild Thang was good for what it was and what I needed to do...but its useless when I am approaching mid-life crisis and need a saw that is utterly reliable and starts on the first pull or second.

I got an Echo trimmer from Home Depot and that was about 5 or 7 years ago and used in residential applications and it has not given me a problem. The choice of saw I have now are Husky and Stihl and Echo. I know the Echo CS-400 will work for me and if I want to get a bigger saw later on the Echo will serve me good as a backup saw. However, I have been thinking of getting a Pro Saw and be done with it. It seem the Pro saw will cost a bit more but that does not bother me as I plunk a couplea Benjamins more.

At my age now I am willing to give more for quality. The saw I am looking for needs to be entry level pro saw and a 16" or 18" bar. I would say most of the trees I cut will average around 12" diameter straight across. So a 16" will do for me but a 18" is only 2" more. I saw someone post that the 260 Pro does not have all that much power to weight ratio. How would the 260 Pro compare to the Mid-Range saws? I can also consider the Husky but want to look at the entry level Pro saws but will also look at the Husky Landowner saws too. It is just comparing the features and what folks find works best for them. I really want to stay away from plastic and do not know if the Pro saws have plastic or not. Yes I checked the 260 Pro at my Stihl and felt good. Will check the huskys soon. I will say that I used alot of saws back in my younger days when my dad ran a beef cattle farm in KY...seem a long time ago now. But that was 30 years ago and now I am getting back to doing those things and I got more money now than we had 30 years ago when all landowners got by with what they could.

So tell me what are the true difference between the MS 260 and MS 260 Pro (worth the $$?) and Stihl's midrange saws like the 270/280. I will probably go with the 16" bar to get better power to weight ratio. Anyone think I should look at Husky's a bit more? Like I said...the CS-400 seems to be a good deal for the money and the warranty trumps Stihl/Husky but the Stihl/Husky is tugging me too :cry: I am looking to spend $300 up to around $500 or so.

Let me know what you all think. I will probably get a diplated cabin in a year or two and probably go down there and cut firewood and do the ATV-**** with my kids so this saw will come in handy.

Thanks...

300.00-500.00 ya say. Hmmmmmmmm for a tad more on the 500.00
you can swing a 361. Much more saw than a 260Pro and almost the same price at the "right" places....

The extra power of the 346xp more than makes up for the small weight difference with the MS260. I can assure you that it WILL pull 18" of 3/8 .050 with the bar buried in oak.

As far as the MS290 goes, I have one of those as well, and would have bought the MS270 or MS260 over the 290 IF my local dealer wasn't such a :censored: dork. I wouldn't have bought the 290 at all if I had visited this site prior to that purchase.

Take the time and visit ol' Tommie up in Leesburg, but don't let 'im show ya his pink Cadillac.:monkey:

Dang...I think this thread has confused me more than helped me. I may as well renounce my membership and settle down and buy a saw and come back

Re-read the thread and it seems a solid re-statement is in order...

1) Use a dealer. CHECK!

2) Weight matters. A 290 is powerful..but weighs 13 LB. A 260 is decent power, and weighs 10.5 LB. A 361 weights 11.5LB and is powerful and light. The 290 will get it done, but will probably wear you out because it is freaking heavy. Then again..I'm a little guy and want something light. The 260 may be slower on cuts, but can handle most wood and is really light. The 361 cures cancer.

3) Get a 16-18 Bar with a freaking real chain and not that crappy safety chain they sell on the saw.

Damn we are helpful people! :)

If you are buying one saw, get a 361 with 18" bar. Light and powerful.

If you do plan on 2 saws, 260 Pro with 16" bar and 441 with 20" bar.
I cut lots of wood at my deer hunting camp and I could cut all day long with either saw. The 441 cuts fast and handles anything on my property. Great saw, I use it only when I have to drop or cut up some big trees.
If I am getting into small trees and brush the 260 Pro is awesome. Light, starts easy, runs great, cuts great with RSC chain.

I tried out some 250/270/280/290 and found that the 260 Pro cuts faster and are much easier to cut with.

I cut with a Poulan 38cc saw for about 11 years before I bought my Stihls 3 years ago. My life has improved.

You will have to meet Tom to understand.:cheers:

:agree2:

I personally would get a 361 with 18" bar and not look back!
I had a 290 for a few years and sold it to buy a 361 after reading about how great it is on here. When i got the 361 and still had the 290 i held one in each hand for kicks and giggles and can say the weight difference was amazing! Also if you muffler mod it your jaw will drop. I constantly have my 361 buried in 18" oak.
If you can i would spend the money the first time and get a 361, on the other hand I'm looking to get a 260 as well. :cheers:

:agree2:

I personally would get a 361 with 18" bar and not look back!
I had a 290 for a few years and sold it to buy a 361 after reading about how great it is on here. When i got the 361 and still had the 290 i held one in each hand for kicks and giggles and can say the weight difference was amazing! Also if you muffler mod it your jaw will drop. I constantly have my 361 buried in 18" oak.
If you can i would spend the money the first time and get a 361, on the other hand I'm looking to get a 260 as well. :cheers:

Yup, no doubt, a muffler modded 361 and a 20" b&c is heaven.:angel: Perfect balance of weight and power. I'm more of a 70cc man though.:D

Get yourself a Husky 359. Same saw as the 357XP except a different piston and cylinder. I personally would never use a 260 in 20" wood unless I didn't have a bigger saw. Of course it'll do it, but a 60cc saw is much more at home in that size wood.

The 260 and 260 Pro are the same saw, except the Pro has a decompression valve and an adjustable oiler. Neither one is a must have on that size saw.

:clap: Forget the 260 you wont miss it!

260 is a nice saw. I have run the non pro and it did what I asked it to do within reason. My 350 will out cut the one that I ran but that is likely due to the 260 having safety chain while I run full chisel.

For husky I would look at the 353 and the 346 but especially the 359. Pro saw features at landowner saw pricing!

My 359 is my do it all saw and is the one that goes with me on the tractor or the wheeler when I go out to cut on my own land. Big enough that it can tackle pretty much anything that I encounter on my property but small enough that it dosen"t really wear you out while limbing or bucking.

The 359 is a much better saw for a one saw plan (that is what mine was supposed to be till I found out how much I like running saws) and is also a better partner for a two saw plan when coupled with your wild thing.

I would also recommend that you stay away from the 290 as well as the 455 husky. Not that they are really bad saws but they are really heavy for for the power that they produce. They also have the added issue of being much more of a pain to work on than saws with a vertically split case when it comes time for a tear down.

Last edited:
My view is the MS260 will make you a very reliable lifetime saw. Great size, weight and construction. For the stuff you are cutting this saw will be a blast to own and operate.

Good luck,
Bill

Get the 361. A 260 is like experimenting with weed....you will progress to crack cocaine (70cc pro saw) in no time.

At least it's harder to justify a larger saw if you have a 361.

Get the 361. A 260 is like experimenting with weed....you will progress to crack cocaine (70cc pro saw) in no time.

At least it's harder to justify a larger saw if you have a 361.

there were lots of us who never made that progression. likewise, the 361 is a very nice saw but it is not the answer to everything.

Ms290

Stopped over Stihl in Manassas to check out the MS290. I recall they were having a discount on this saw including the extras. Needed to check out this so I stopped by after work (a rarity for me to leave work early but since I got in at 0600 I was able to leave early). Here is what they had with the
MS290 ($370): wedge 7.5" (#4.50), Bar and Chain Oil 1gal ($12.70), 26RM2-81 spare chain($32.40), file 3 pk ($3.91), Woodsman Case ($45), 2 cycle mix 2.6oz 6pk ($8.15), file handle ($2.19) Total cost was $502.66 and with a 10% discount is came to $452.39. Not too shabby considering the Ms290 is the most popular saw sold. I handled the MS290 and it sure is heavy and feels very clubby and bigger than I want a saw to be. I will not only be cutting firewood but trees too so I would have to handle the saw in akward positions.

IMO the MS260 feels just right for my usage. Sure wish I could get more power out of it for the bigger stuff but cannot get an all-in-one saw unless I go bigger. The shop did not have a 361 out on the shelf...I think someone bought it. But the 361 weights like 11lbs or so so not alot more than the 260.

I do not think I am going to go for any of the MS270-MS290 saws as they weight too much and I want a more nimble saw. I will be carrying it more further afield later on down the road. As someone stated, I doubt I will be cutting more than 12"-15" but if I encounter larger trees can always take care of that at that time.

I think the MS260 is a great balance saw for my application but will check out the 361's when they get them on the shelf. BTW...the 361 was listed at $599 and I believe with a 20" bar. The MS260 was with a 20" blade at $470 so this is a difference of $120. I probably can ask them to sell me the MS260 with the 16" blade for $450 or so.

Next thing I am going to do is check out the XP saws. Seem to be a fairly good saw and someone said these saws have pro-features in landowner prices.

Funny thing...it has always been said that your first choice is almost always the right choice. I feel the MS260 is the right choice for me and I know weight will be an issue with me if I have to carry the saw more than cutting LOL.

I will get back with what XP I looked at and my opinions.

Latest posts

Back