260 Pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped over Stihl in Manassas to check out the MS290. I recall they were having a discount on this saw including the extras. Needed to check out this so I stopped by after work (a rarity for me to leave work early but since I got in at 0600 I was able to leave early). Here is what they had with the
MS290 ($370): wedge 7.5" (#4.50), Bar and Chain Oil 1gal ($12.70), 26RM2-81 spare chain($32.40), file 3 pk ($3.91), Woodsman Case ($45), 2 cycle mix 2.6oz 6pk ($8.15), file handle ($2.19) Total cost was $502.66 and with a 10% discount is came to $452.39. Not too shabby considering the Ms290 is the most popular saw sold. I handled the MS290 and it sure is heavy and feels very clubby and bigger than I want a saw to be. I will not only be cutting firewood but trees too so I would have to handle the saw in akward positions.

IMO the MS260 feels just right for my usage. Sure wish I could get more power out of it for the bigger stuff but cannot get an all-in-one saw unless I go bigger. The shop did not have a 361 out on the shelf...I think someone bought it. But the 361 weights like 11lbs or so so not alot more than the 260.

I do not think I am going to go for any of the MS270-MS290 saws as they weight too much and I want a more nimble saw. I will be carrying it more further afield later on down the road. As someone stated, I doubt I will be cutting more than 12"-15" but if I encounter larger trees can always take care of that at that time.

I think the MS260 is a great balance saw for my application but will check out the 361's when they get them on the shelf. BTW...the 361 was listed at $599 and I believe with a 20" bar. The MS260 was with a 20" blade at $470 so this is a difference of $120. I probably can ask them to sell me the MS260 with the 16" blade for $450 or so.

Next thing I am going to do is check out the XP saws. Seem to be a fairly good saw and someone said these saws have pro-features in landowner prices.

Funny thing...it has always been said that your first choice is almost always the right choice. I feel the MS260 is the right choice for me and I know weight will be an issue with me if I have to carry the saw more than cutting LOL.

I will get back with what XP I looked at and my opinions.

No 361's on the shelf, hmmmmmmm.

Are you shopping at Beckers??

the 361 is about 12.3lbs, so its nearly 2 lbs heavier than a 260. the xp is a pro saw and is priced similarly to the comparable stihls. more at some dealer, less at others. the husky 359 is not an xp but is pro construction for the most part. it listed at a little more than 12 lbs., so it is less $ and less powerful than a 361, but about the same weight.

the 260 is not a bad saw and it is very capable. just look at how much of the 12" stuff you will be cutting. i would say that if more than 25% of your cutting is 12" or larger, you need to look at a larger saw.

Next thing I am going to do is check out the XP saws. Seem to be a fairly good saw and someone said these saws have pro-features in landowner prices.

You must be talking about the 359, they are $500+ around here and I'd get a 361 for that kind of $$$. A used 359 would be a better choice. The 346 is going to be close to the same price as the 260, make sure the 346 doesn't have a cat muffler.

I was the one that referred to pro saw features at land owner prices. The two saws that I was referring to specifically were the 353 and the 359. Both have a huge amount of bang for the buck and are worth checking out.

good choice in staying with the 260, great little saw, i feel the added weight of the 346 isnt enough to get it over the 260. the 346 will still bog when pushed on. heck in all noesty it may not have the low end grunt as the 260

What no one said Dolmar 5100 yet. At over 4 hp and under 12 lbs it blows the 260 out of the water. Of course finding a dealer might be an issue. I haven't priced one lately either but it should be on the list.

Of course finding a dealer might be an issue.

That is usually the problem. Very few seem to find out they can get one here along with parts if needed through the mail, some rather support the local guy also. I like the 5100 myself but isn't a big enough jump to add along with my 026s.

MS260 vs 353

I bought an MS260 last year. Yep, I'm a fan. I used a new 353 for a couple of seasons before that. I like the MS260 more. I think my opinion is unbiased. I think you're picking a good saw for what you need.

I just cut down an old Elm in my back yard. The girth was 93 inches and the diameter was about 26 to 28 inches.

Did the job with my 260 Pro and it never bogged down cutting that trunk up into 10 pieces. I used those huge pieces of trunk to burn out the stump and buttress roots.

Nosmo

I've had my 260 a spell now doing ROW cutting during the week, and commercial on the weekends in a residential setting.

So far so good with an 18 inch bar. I love it.

It keeps getting the trigger time on the ROW while the husky 365s sit on the truck all broke down. Can't get the only husky dealer around to answer the phone, nor can I get him to do anything. Ordered parts when he finally answered the phone months ago. Still no parts.

I finally rigged the trigger on my 365, but that's no good. I think it was rigged from the drawing board on...to be perfectly honest.

I like husky alright, but they need to stop running commercials if they can't back up their product.

Ms260

How can you tell a 346 has the cat muffler? If I have to take apart the 346 I would say the dealer will say get the hell outta my shop :mad: now unless I can tell from looking at it, that will work.

There is one Dolmar dealer in my area and about a 13 mile drive. Never thought of a 5100 but to be honest...the Stihl is looking sexy more and more ad the day goes on.... :clap:

I will do my due diligence and check out the Huskys.

Come to think of it...I need to check out the 361 and see how it feels. For sure that saw is a significant better than the 260 but more likely more than I need. I want to get that Wild Thang sitting in the corner and wondering what the hell is going on with its new friend when I use it all the time.

I agree with 2000 that said it depends on how big of the trees I will be cutting. I know I will probably cut more residental trees on the side (and not near houses etc) and will probably go down my property and cut up some downed trees and some of those junk trees. When I do get a cabin down there will probably put in a wood burning stove and burn firewood in the winter time. But there is no cabin there now :mad: so will probably go with a 260...and if I ever need to get a bigger saw...back to the dealer! Those 270/280 look attractive but are bulky!

Stihl dealer guy said the 260 has more rpm's than the 280 and I believe he said 290 but I cannot find the rpm rating for each saw on the internet or in the stihl catalog. Again...I like the slim saw of the 260 compared to the 290. And I figured the 260 will run a mite faster with a 18" bar. Dealer had a 20" bar and I think they will sell me the 260 with the 18" bar.

Good posting here...it seem there are some applications for the 260. BTW the Stihl catalog does not list the 260 only the 260Pro. Seem the 260 is no longer being made? They sure as hell ain't gonna mark them down :)

How can you tell a 346 has the cat muffler? If I have to take apart the 346 I would say the dealer will say get the hell outta my shop :mad: now unless I can tell from looking at it, that will work.

There is one Dolmar dealer in my area and about a 13 mile drive. Never thought of a 5100 but to be honest...the Stihl is looking sexy more and more ad the day goes on.... :clap:

I will do my due diligence and check out the Huskys.

Come to think of it...I need to check out the 361 and see how it feels. For sure that saw is a significant better than the 260 but more likely more than I need. I want to get that Wild Thang sitting in the corner and wondering what the hell is going on with its new friend when I use it all the time.

I agree with 2000 that said it depends on how big of the trees I will be cutting. I know I will probably cut more residental trees on the side (and not near houses etc) and will probably go down my property and cut up some downed trees and some of those junk trees. When I do get a cabin down there will probably put in a wood burning stove and burn firewood in the winter time. But there is no cabin there now :mad: so will probably go with a 260...and if I ever need to get a bigger saw...back to the dealer! Those 270/280 look attractive but are bulky!

Stihl dealer guy said the 260 has more rpm's than the 280 and I believe he said 290 but I cannot find the rpm rating for each saw on the internet or in the stihl catalog. Again...I like the slim saw of the 260 compared to the 290. And I figured the 260 will run a mite faster with a 18" bar. Dealer had a 20" bar and I think they will sell me the 260 with the 18" bar.

Good posting here...it seem there are some applications for the 260. BTW the Stihl catalog does not list the 260 only the 260Pro. Seem the 260 is no longer being made? They sure as hell ain't gonna mark them down :)

Your correct, the standard 260 is history. Lots of them are still in stock at the dealers though. Its a way better saw than the Wild Thing you was using but it should be for what it cost. 260's run right around 14,000 rpms. For the money verses what your getting the 361 is a better buy than the 260. Power to weight it isn't even close. If your thinking about getting a 260Pro they run around $520.00. A 361 can be had for 30.00 more. Since that dealer didn't have one to show you have a look.

attachment.php

if you have a Dolmar deale that close, you owe it to yourself to check out the 5100. it is just a shade over 12lbs and 3.9hp. i have 4 dollys and love them. they are very reliable so far. some people have had problems with the 5100, but i think that is due to setup from the dealer. that can be an issue with any brand.

Thall,

My dealer had the 361 with a tag of $599. Sure is not just $30 more. But this is probably because it had a 20" or 24" blade? I don't know but will check the Stihl website. But if I could get the 361 for $550 that would be a heck of a deal! Honestly I think that is what we all crave :dizzy: I am figuring to spend a tad over $500 or a tad less if I got the standard MS260. May be able to swing the extry $80 for the 361 and then I know I will PROLLY not have to upgrade down the road. Wanted to also mention that I did see a 361 on their shelf about a month ago when I started my Stihl quest. But its gone now however, this dealer can get more probably as they are always busy on Saturdays and prolly sell lots of stuff. But I may just buy from the Leesburg as customer recommendation is worth its weight in gold.

Anyone know the hours of the Stihl Leesburg dealer? What are their hours on Saturdays? Do they have an email address? I will check their dealer information on the stihl dealer search site.

Thanks!

Thall,

My dealer had the 361 with a tag of $599. Sure is not just $30 more. But this is probably because it had a 20" or 24" blade? I don't know but will check the Stihl website. But if I could get the 361 for $550 that would be a heck of a deal! Honestly I think that is what we all crave :dizzy: I am figuring to spend a tad over $500 or a tad less if I got the standard MS260. May be able to swing the extry $80 for the 361 and then I know I will PROLLY not have to upgrade down the road. Wanted to also mention that I did see a 361 on their shelf about a month ago when I started my Stihl quest. But its gone now however, this dealer can get more probably as they are always busy on Saturdays and prolly sell lots of stuff. But I may just buy from the Leesburg as customer recommendation is worth its weight in gold.

Anyone know the hours of the Stihl Leesburg dealer? What are their hours on Saturdays? Do they have an email address? I will check their dealer information on the stihl dealer search site.

Thanks!

Yup they list for 599.95 but at some places list means squat. The 260 is a fine little saw but its still a little saw. I call it a limber and trim saw, not a all purpose saw. The 361 on the other hand is probably the best all purpose saw on the market. If your looking to own only one saw to do all your cutting with the 361 is a better choice than a 260Pro. The 50cc saws have their place but the 60cc saws cover more cutting requirements. For all around use the 60cc saws are tuff to beat.

That guy over at Leesburg comes in at 8 and goes home at 5 on Saturdays. He's usually grumpy and orenry till he wakes around 8.30. Then he's all happy go lucky, I know that guy..

Jim,
I grew up on Stihl, run Husky now. NOT a slam on Stihl- damned fine gear & if someone took my 346Xp from me and handed me a 260 and said to get back to work, I would not feel terribly slighted.

Check craigslist Richmond area for MS361 .

2Door

Latest posts

Back