260 Pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 353 is no occassional saw, it's a PRO class saw, better than the 260 in all aspects. The only reason it is listed as occasional is because they want the pro's to buy the 346xp. There can only be one XP saw in each cc class. The 353 is just as much quality as the 346, just less power (which does not negatively impact the durability of the saw).

The 346 is THE 50cc saw, 2nd is the PS5100, third is the 353, fourth is the 260.

BTW, iif you plan a 361 I can't understand the need for a 50cc saw.

One saw = 60cc = 357/359/361
Two saws = 50cc + 70 cc. = 346+372/576 or 260+440/441

+1. 353 and 346 are the same saws with a different piston and cylinder from what I understand.

I had a 353 and it was a really nice saw. I got the 346XP out of CAD + my wife offered to buy me a new saw :)

I and others use a Rubbermaid Tough Tub as a chainsaw case. Buy one sized appropriately. Measure and make a rectangle cut to clear the bar with scabbard on it(leave an inch or two at the bottom to contain leaks). Cut an old peice of closed cell foam for the bottom. Drill a couple holes in the lid/top edges for carabiners or just bungee hooks to hold the lid from being blown off. Voila! For less than ten bucks you have a water resistant, padded case that contains leaks and can carry your other implements all in one bang. Does not draw much attentions if you run in the store for a refreshment either.

You guys lay off praising the MS361!! I have enough saws already!(Did I say that out loud?) ;)

2Door

No hijack intended, but

I see we have some newbies from Va. here....visit the Va/W.Va/GTG thread. June 20 is the day.

The 353 is no occassional saw, it's a PRO class saw, better than the 260 in all aspects....

Well now; hold on a minute...
To be fair they are really close.
I have to wonder if you would "feel" the .1 hp increase;
but I imagine you might feel the .6lb increase.
-br

.....................MS 260 Pro..............................Husky 353

DISPLACEMENT: 50.2 cc...................................51.7 cc

ENGINE POWER: 3.2 bhp................................... 3.3hp

.........WEIGHT: 10.6 lbs................................... 11.2 lbs

-br

.....................MS 260 Pro..............................Husky 353

DISPLACEMENT: 50.2 cc...................................51.7 cc

ENGINE POWER: 3.2 bhp................................... 3.3hp

.........WEIGHT: 10.6 lbs................................... 11.2 lbs

BR, consider the source.......about as impartial and unbiased as CNBC.

The operators manual that comes with the 346 includes the 353. I think the main differences in the 260 and the 353 would probably come down to the operators preference to stihl or husky.

Not touting the Husky as I know nothing about them, but since it will be compared to a WildThing instead of each other, I doubt the HP or weight differences between these two would be noticable! A MS290 would have probably been fine.

Noting the WildThing, does remind me of something else in the orginal post: Starts after a couple pulls everytime.

I'm not sure if the pros who run their saws everyday notice it [and maybe it is just me], but while I'd give reliability points like crazy to Stihl in that it will start before your arm falls off, it's more like a couple choke, and a couple without; maybe an extra one of each - just don't get choke happy and flood it. For me: the Craftsman (by Poulan), Poulans, and a couple others were more bipolar: second pull or you're "pullan & pullan....."

I'm guessing there are some that are quick starters without bipolar issues, but which, I'd really be guessing.

Another eternal thread where all the above are winners. As with a anything "All unhappiness comes from comparison, contentment comes without comparison" its just a fact of life. Get what you need as you need it.

Last edited:
Another eternal thread where all the above are winners. As with a anything "All unhappiness comes from comparison, contentment comes without comparison" its just a fact of life. Get what you need as you need it.

That'd kind of suck, I can't imagine how many tools I'd be cursing because they still work well enough to get by.

I'm not saying runout and snag a 880 because someday you might run into it situation where it will cut up a 4ft diameter quicker, but [and I know price creap is a nasty gremlin, even moreso when spending someone elses money], believe it or not, the extra money for the 361 [and 200!] didn't rattle me as much as the idea of spending $3something on a chainsaw as I oringally planned. As I'm not conditioned from everyday use, my body thanks me everytime I saw - somebody else might be much happier with a happy checkbook.

No doubt there are likely some lemon saws out there, and even moreso plenty of saws not up to a given task, and a few way overkill for a given task, but I still think this case had quite intriquing options.

On a slight tangent, I didn't point out the starting comparison to knock a brand I like - especially when I may be the only one who's ever had said opinion, but as earlier posts implied said brand was the choice in this case, I merely noted that in hopes somebody doesn't come back to their dealer or here ranting about their saw only curing hemoroids when it was supposed to cure cancer too!

LHJim, you going end the suspense today?

I must have a vicarious form of CAD.... :dizzy:

suspense??

Well...I went ahead and bought the 361. Could not resist the more power for a measly $100 more. Sure ain't me that bought the 460...way too much for my needs but if I needed it it would have been a good deal. In the end...I felt the 361 was worth the little more $$ and the 361 covers most...if not all...my needs. Can't beat that. I have hefted the 361 and 260 a few times in my local shops and the 2 lbs is really insignificant. I know if I held it for 8 hrs I could be able to feel it. Same way with rifles...I don't always go for lighter (and get black eyes).

I also went with the 20" instead of the 18" since its only 2" more but at the same time this may keep me from bending over and getting all sore back. I am rather tall at 6-1" so just went with the 20" blade.

I am going to get it running and get the two small stumps cut down on my property...go to one guy's place and cut down his evergreen bush and dump it in the woods and get me the $100.

I will be on cal every week(end) for the next 2 months so getting ym my property will take 2 months...fawk that I know. If ya guys want me to come over and run my saw and get a bit of work done at ur place I can do that...hate to see a powerful saw sitting and waiting to bite wood. May git my boy to come with me too and let him smell the gas...he likey sit in the basement and smell the Hoppes...

I almost went for the 353 seeing as they have a 0% financing running but decide I am Stihl in love with the orange/white... but the 353 was $415 for 20" and the 361 was 589 so I figure the beast was the best buy. I do not believe the 353 was the E-Tech but will have to check.

I am happy with my purchase and I know this saw will compare favorably to the saw my Pop used 30 something years ago and he got this from the Calif tree cutters and it had like a 3 ft blade or so.

Thanks for all of your comments...of course the number of ideas is about the same amount of the folks that chime in...that is what it sall about :clap:

I got standard oil

murph,

I got the standard Stihl oil...not the ultra. This was suggested to me. Anyway I will use up this 6 pack oil and then get the ultra. Do you use the 93 octane gas? I did not buy a muff mod but will do sometime. Might as wait until the warranty runs out? I ask this cuz if you muff mod it then you have to retune the carb too so this would make it obvious that the saw has been modded.

I saw a 310 in CL yesterday and send the person an email in the morning. Asking $200 and wanted to go check it out and they got back said it was sold last evening. So it was not up on CL for long. Wanted to get this and use this as a two saw for the time begining and not put alot of money in the saws but hey this shows that Stihl is a hot commodity! :dizzy:

I am always a day and a dollar short!

pics this weekend

I'll get a pic this weekend and post it. It will be clean for you lumbers :)

I'll get a pic this weekend and post it.

Congrats! No doubt you'll love it.

Did you get any goodies thrown in or just a good price for your area in the first place?

And I thought for sure you'd see what kind of deal they'd give you if you were getting that 200 for your wife at the same time. Just kidding; thanks for the update!

no goodies

spiffy,

No...did not get any goodies with the 361 I bought. I know I could have gotten the goodies at the shop close to my home (they quoted MSRP on the 260Pro and the gallon b/c oil, 6 pack oil mix/chain file) all for the MSRP cost. But I went on the recommendation to get this saw at a certain shop. Maybe I should have went to my local shop. But hey I just infused some money in the economy so the market is picking up! Cannot beat that and all you guys who have money in the stock market you owe me a coupla Bud Limes! :clap:

Well...I figured all of you guys who get freebies from where I bought my saw must be a handsome son of a gun...I am a ugly blonde LOL...surely you guys can strut your talk...LOL.

I am going to open another post regarding my 361...chime in if you want...Thx

Back