260 Pro questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LHJim,
You should just stop by and test drive my 361 with the muffler mod. I have allot of wood that needs cut in the back :) I don't think you will be disappointed with the power.
Then you can go pick one up from Leasburg. :cheers:

testing a 361

FJ40,

I could stop by and test out your 361. Heck may haffa cut a few logs for the test run :) Its been a long time since I ran a pro saw but my pop got a homelite with a 3 foot blade and brought it home from Calif. That was years ago when he ran that saw. Not been around the pro saws in decades...but been thinking at this stage in my life, screw the POS saws :)

I saw the saw on craigslist I think a couple weeks ago but discounted that saw for a couple of reasons...its more than what I need and although it was new...the warranty probably would not transfer to me. If I was going to pay a little over $600 for a new saw and someone offered me a virtually new saw for $550...I'd just get the new saw from the dealer I wanted to support me in case I got problems. I emailed the person and ask them some questions.

Not sure what I'd do now. I am thinking the MS260 if I got would not make sense for me to get a MS361 you know.

So much choice so little time...

why leesburg

FJ40,

Do you live close to Leesburg? I am close to Manassas. Was just wondering if you chose the Leesburg Stihl dealer because you are close to him or because of recommendation from others or you just want your pics with a pinkie caddy in background :)

FJ40,

Do you live close to Leesburg? I am close to Manassas. Was just wondering if you chose the Leesburg Stihl dealer because you are close to him or because of recommendation from others or you just want your pics with a pinkie caddy in background :)

He met that guy over at Leesburg, I was there when they met. They seem to hit it off pretty good from what I could tell. That guy cusses alot, puffs a Pall Mall and plays alot of Elvis in the shop. I thought I was walking into Graceland,LOLOL

When you see that mofo, tell him Brian said what up!!

Saw him just a bit ago. He was showing me a 044 some cat sent him. Said he's debating whether to keep it or sell it. He something to the effect some guy name Brian in NC owns it, you know any Brian's in NC by chance,LOLOL

Saw him just a bit ago. He was showing me a 044 some cat sent him. Said he's debating whether to keep it or sell it. He something to the effect some guy name Brian in NC owns it, you know any Brian's in NC by chance,LOLOL

A 044 fer sale eh?? I might know that loser you are talking about, might even kick him in the nads for good measure.:buttkick:

:D:D:D

FJ40,

Yeah, I live by Gilberts Corner in Loudoun Co. sorta close to Manassas and just down the road from the leasburg dealer.
I like doing bussines at that dealer because the guy is super helpful, he knows what he's talking about and most of all he is a piece of work! lol

Your welcome to stop by and try the 361. I know it is big and important decission to make and a large investment too! :cheers:

Last edited:
options

Seems like after buying a large tract of timbers, future cabin, atv etc....counting pennies on a saw seems a little odd. More than likely you will end up with more than one anyway. Ive had good luck buying saws on fleabay, 026's and 260's can be reasonable....290's and 361's not so much, craiglist may be better. Theres some good deals out there, just have to be ready to jump on em. Then you would have the best of both worlds plus backup. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
i agree, since your here youl have more then one saw so skip the 60cc unless you go with ported 359 as your second saw.

260 will be a great all around saw cutn bar size wood. ive been grabn my 026 most latly just because thats the size wood im cutting 18-20" and a few lbs makes big difrence after bucking a few trees.

if i feel like cutn fast and grinning alot ill use the ported 359. but still the 026 is used more. 359 is wearing 20"

It sounds like you are going to eventually own 2 saws at some point and may have a need for the saws for many years to come. After dealing with the frustration of using some beat-up sub-par saws, I now enjoy using pro-grade high quality saws that are well maintained and run great. It adds so much to the enjoyment of cutting wood that I can't even explain it. Have you ever gone into the woods to cut with one saw and had it not run right or not even start? It's worth it to me to pay a little extra up front to buy a saw that I am not going to have to replace in just a few years.

I have been contemplating buying a new 361 or 260 pro for a few months now and since I am still "babysitting" my dad's 361 I decided to purchase the 260 pro this past Wednesday. All of the 361 fans that have commented are exactly right, for an "all-purpose" saw I don't believe it can be beat. I absolutely love that saw and use it more frequently than my J'red 630, MS460, and Husky 395XP. The only saw that I used more than the 361 is my 12 year old 025 (unfortunately I have to cut a lot of limbs). I cut wood yesterday and brought the 460, 361, and the new 260 pro. I was amazed what that little 260 would do and it just wasn't worth it to me to walk back to the truck to get the 361 for the relatively small amount of larger wood I had to deal with.

It sounds like your preference toward a small, lightweight saw will direct you toward the 260. If you only want to buy one saw and eventually pass it down to a family member in 20 years when you are done with it, buy the pro model. In a few years when it is time to heat the cabin with wood and finances allow, buy the 361 and you will be all set in the saw dept. (at least until the call of a 7 hp monster saw beckons and you can no longer resist) and will get a lot of enjoyment out of both saws and cutting wood in general.

F.Y.I. It seems every shop is different on how they "wheel and deal." My beloved stihl dealer will not budge off of retail price on saws. However, they always throw in a few extras. I wanted the 260 pro with the 18" bar, so they charged me $509 for the saw and upgrade to the 18", but threw in the 16" bar that was on the saw for no charge. I walked out of the dealership with the saw, two bars, two chains, and a new file for just under $560.

A couple of other things I forgot to mention that Turkeyslayer mentioned in another thread and I agree. This is simply personal preference, but I like the choke/fast idle set-up on the husky and J'reds better than the Stihl set-up. However, the internal clutch of the stihls is much nicer than the husky's and J'reds and makes chain changes very quick. If your saw is tuned and running properly the choke preference is certainly not an issue. With my Stihls it is typically 1-3 pulls at full choke and one pull at half choke and they run and stay running.

still trying to decide

snuffstuff,

An 88ac is not exactly a large tract of timber...I've seen some larger tracts but did not want to get all of my $$ tied up in payments. And I did not pay it off...I am far from paying cash. Yeah...I am going on payments and this is 20 years of payments however I am paying extra monthly to cut down the payment. And I don't have the ATV and cabin either...this will come when the time is right. My guts gotta agree with me or its a no-go. :dizzy: Nothing wrong with trying to decide which saw to buy...I do not drive a F150 V8 to work cuz my Honda sips gasoline...not gulp gasoline. I buy equipment that works for me and often times upgrade to the next in line equipment "just in case" but this saw will probably be a two step jump LOL. Yeah...the MS361 is looking more and more like a good option for me, just have to decide if I want to go for it. If I got the MS361 I will get it with a 18" bar or even 16" bar. Can always upgrade to a longer bar and this is much cheaper than upgrading to a bigger saw if the occassion arises later on.

This is what I am thinking of doing. Probably the ideal situation for me is to get a smaller size saw like the Ms270 which will work for me and when the need arises get the MS361, this way I will have two saws one for the large stuff and one for the small stuff. But the lure of getting a first Pro saw like the 361 is strong so I am pondering it over. With the same bar size on a MS260 or MS361...you are talking $100 difference.

Someone said that the 361 is going away? Is this a fact? What's replacing the 361? Never got to stop and look at the Huskies but will prolly go with a Stihl w/o looking at husky.

By the way...there was a 260 for sale on CL and I emailed the seller and it sold quickly. Asking price was $190 and it has the Farm Boss bar on it so obviously someone replaced the bar and did not want to pay for a new bar. Price looked pretty good but its gone.

Hope you all had a good weekend! This is birthday month for me and my going-to-be 6 y/o son. Heck...may treat us with a 361 LOL...

giXXer...yeah the 260 will probably work for me. This is why its been around for so long but it looks to be going away so I better hurry and get this while I can. I see the MS270 and may look at that and use that as a viable 2 saw team...gotta look at the features of the MS270. Whacha think of the 260 and 361 as a tag team LOL

Whacha think of the 260 and 361 as a tag team LOL

Out of my league here, but I'd say:

In about 5 or 10 years, put one in your son's hands and you have a great duo.

However, for a one man band, perhaps a bit close in weight and HP. I suspect depending upon how much of a HP junkie you are or how light you prefer a saw one or the other would collect dust.

Still like having the combo of the 200 and 361 around here (but do still have the 50cc Craftsman with 20" for the odd occasion). However, if somebody were to trade me a 441/460 and 260 for it, I probably wouldn't miss the 361 - else it suits me fine!

I really think you need to put both through some wood and see whether weight or HP is your deciding factor, and either one of the 260 or 361 could be a do-it-all for you. If you really want to con yourself into owning a 70cc in the future though, I'd say the 361 is out, as then you'd likely want the more nimble saw for your smaller saw.

Just got to thinking, isn't the standard sprocket 3/8 for a 361 and .325 for a 260? Not sure if there is a preference there either - perhaps the experts will have more to say about that regarding your wood and habits.

Have fun deciding!

Last edited:
You couldn't pick a better pair of saws for cutting firewood, IMO. I'm still babysitting my Dad's 361 and absolutely love the saw. If I could only have one saw, that would be it. After this weekend, however, I see the 260 pro getting a lot of use in the future. My lower back gives me quite a bit of trouble after bucking logs with a large saw and I end up taking breaks more frequently. I can cut pretty much all day long with a little saw and have little to no back pain.

Ive got a 6 or 7 year old 026,after finally replacing the fixed jet carb,its the go to saw.Sure I love my 372,and I dont throw one in the truck without the other,but for limbing and bucking(<16") on the firewood deck the 026 is like tossing a baton around.
If I was going to a clearing job it'd be the warhorse with the 026 as a backup & maybe some limbing.Husky n stihl are both great saws,the comparable 50cc husky would serve you just fine.Dont let the plastic scare you away,like anything if you use your head youll never crack it.
Ive used the 290/310 commercially and they are fine saws as well,again if your a klutz youll break/smoke/burn-up the machine.But for your uses id start out with a good 50cc saw.

ak4195

one more time....the 260 is a nice saw for smaller wood. it will work ok for the occasional larger tree. the 361 will do both well, but is almost 2 lbs heavier. if most of your cutting is small, then the 260 is the one to buy if you are sticking with Stihl; there are better saws in this price/size category. if the mix is more than about 20-25% 12"+, then you need something larger.
i don't think you need a 361 if there is a 70cc saw in your future in the next year or two. then again, you can buy the 361 and if you decide it is too heavy or you decide on a 70cc saw, then you can ebay it and get most of your money back.

bottom line-- buy the 260 if you see yourself with a larger saw in the next couple of years. buy the 361 if you only want one saw with the option to sell it if you decide you want to go smaller and larger in the future.

bottom line-- buy the 260 if you see yourself with a larger saw in the next couple of years. buy the 361 if you only want one saw with the option to sell it if you decide you want to go smaller and larger in the future.

:agree2: I have a 460 and want to get a 260 w/ 16" b&c soon. But the 361 is great if you just want one saw.

attachment.php

i feel this combo is perfect from fire wood cutn to tree removal trimming jobs, thorw in a few difrent bars for 044/460 and youl have something for every battle

Latest posts

Back